Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Banned
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
she still was a great player, and she was winning matches.

some players like conchita need to retire cause they're embrassing themselves so bad, can she win 2 matches in a row? I dont think so.

some old players looks money hungry...

Graf, again, did it best.

·
Registered
19,296 Posts
That's the thing, you never know when a losing streak is your last one. People say I should have retired after "Backstreet" in 1961, that all I did was make a bunch of shit for years in the 60's after and "tarnish" my image. I did make a load of shit in the few years following Backstreet. But I made my highest grossing film ever in 1967, so it's a good thing I didn't quit after "Backstreet." Also, a washed up Oscar winner is entitled to some post-Oscar payola is she wants it, just like Conchita is entitled to some post-good career payola is she wants it. You never know, Conchita could be post-"Backstreet" pre-Valley of the Dolls, or she could be in post-Valley of the Dolls territory and on the brink of lousy TV movies, in which case she should present one more Best Actress Oscar and call it quits.

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
I think one should retire when they are no longer having fun.

·
Banned
6,175 Posts
SharapovaKixA$$ said:
she still was a great player, and she was winning matches.

some players like conchita need to retire cause they're embrassing themselves so bad, can she win 2 matches in a row? I dont think so.

some old players looks money hungry...

Graf, again, did it best.
Exactly..she also played her last match against one of the greatest plays that has ever graced the courts ... :lol: ;) :angel:

·
Banned
7,293 Posts
FraziersFan said:
Exactly..she also played her last match against one of the greatest plays that has ever graced the courts ... :lol: ;) :angel:
No, you confuse players here. Graf didn't retire after Wimbledon.
She played another tournament some weeks later (San Diego?) losing to a journeywoman (name escapes me at the moment) by default.

:wavey:

Reactions: Helen Lawson

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
8,263 Posts
that was Amy Frasier

but then Steffi Graf still a legend, case close

·
Registered
47,518 Posts
Yep...if she had gone one more season, then we wouldn´t hear the talk about how she competed with three generations.

·
Registered
47,518 Posts
j-mac said:
:confused:

she did, how can you question that?

Because I think ´99 would have been the last season she would have managed to compete with them and she knew it. Luckily for her she didn´t do the same mistake Martina N is still doing.....Martina should have retired when it was obvious that she would lose more often to steffi...just quit right there and that is what Steffi did.

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
bandabou said:
Because I think ´99 would have been the last season she would have managed to compete with them and she knew it. Luckily for her she didn´t do the same mistake Martina N is still doing.....Martina should have retired when it was obvious that she would lose more often to steffi...just quit right there and that is what Steffi did.
steffi quit cuz she lost desire to play, not because she couldnt compete with the rest of the top

she had just won the french and reached the final of wimbledon dont forget!!

·
Registered
47,518 Posts
j-mac said:
steffi quit cuz she lost desire to play, not because she couldnt compete with the rest of the top

she had just won the french and reached the final of wimbledon dont forget!!
Uhum...but look how much trouble she had with the youngsters and they were only gonna improve evenmore.

Maybe you´re right, but I think that steffi herself knew that that was the right time.

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
bandabou said:
Uhum...but look how much trouble she had with the youngsters and they were only gonna improve evenmore.

Maybe you´re right, but I think that steffi herself knew that that was the right time.
maybe your right. maybe your wrong. but can you name any other players in the last 15-20 years to have been able to compete with so many generations as steffi has done?

·
Registered
47,518 Posts
j-mac said:
maybe your right. maybe your wrong. but can you name any other players in the last 15-20 years to have been able to compete with so many generations as steffi has done?

Because the older generations continued to play waaaayyyyy tooo long. Can´t see anyone playing well in the 37´s anymore, so that´s a bit unfair imo.

Steffi didn´t really compete with the chris´s and martina´s, it´s just that they didn´t know when to stop. When you´re 34 or 35, you ain´t gonna win much matches against a 17 year old....now I´m sure that if steffi herself had kept on playing then Venus would have evened out their h2h already and of course Serena would have been ahead...that´s the thing imo.

·
Banned
7,293 Posts
bandabou said:
Because the older generations continued to play waaaayyyyy tooo long. Can´t see anyone playing well in the 37´s anymore, so that´s a bit unfair imo.

Steffi didn´t really compete with the chris´s and martina´s, it´s just that they didn´t know when to stop. When you´re 34 or 35, you ain´t gonna win much matches against a 17 year old....now I´m sure that if steffi herself had kept on playing then Venus would have evened out their h2h already and of course Serena would have been ahead...that´s the thing imo.

An injury-free Graf who had continued post-99 eventually would have had to surrender to Henin/Williamsx2. But in that process she would have won 2 or 3 more slams. And no-one would discuss greatest-ever issues any more.
Thank God Graf retired in August 99 .....

:worship: :worship: :worship:

·
Registered
47,518 Posts
Calimero377 said:
An injury-free Graf who had continued post-99 eventually would have had to surrender to Henin/Williamsx2. But in that process she would have won 2 or 3 more slams. And no-one would discuss greatest-ever issues any more.
Thank God Graf retired in August 99 .....

:worship: :worship: :worship:
Wouldn´t have happened....what major would she have stood a chance?!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Graf retired at exactly the right time. I wish now that her husband would do the same.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts