Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 368 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's logical to me that Steffi Graf has always had and always will have a winning record against Monica Seles:

1989-05-29 Roland Garros Clay SF Steffi Graf (GER) 6-3 3-6 6-3
1989-06-26 Wimbledon Grass R16 Steffi Graf (GER) 6-0 6-1
1989-10-23 Brighton Indoor Carpet F Steffi Graf (GER) 7-5 6-4
1990-05-14 Berlin Clay F Monica Seles (USA) 6-4 6-3
1990-05-28 Roland Garros Clay F Monica Seles (USA) 7-6 6-4
1991-03-25 San Antonio Hardcourt F Steffi Graf (GER) 6-4 6-3
1991-04-29 Hamburg Clay F Steffi Graf (GER) 7-5 6-7 6-3
1992-05-25 Roland Garros Clay F Monica Seles (USA) 6-2 3-6 10-8
1992-06-22 Wimbledon Grass F Steffi Graf (GER) 6-2 6-1
1993-01-18 Australian Open Hardcourt F Monica Seles (USA) 4-6 6-3 6-2
1995-08-28 U.S. Open Hardcourt F Steffi Graf (GER) 7-6(6) 0-6 6-3
1996-08-26 U.S. Open Hardcourt F Steffi Graf (GER) 7-5 6-4
1998-11-16 Chase Championships Indoor Carpet QF Steffi Graf (GER) 1-6 6-4 6-4
1999-01-18 Australian Open Hardcourt QF Monica Seles (USA) 7-5 6-1
1999-05-24 Roland Garros Clay SF Steffi Graf (GER) 6-7(2) 6-3 6-4

Logically, there really are no excuses in this head-to-head. Steffi Graf is simply the better player!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,635 Posts
no logical is that a steffi fan says steffi is better and a monica fans says monica is better

and that's how it should be
 
  • Like
Reactions: chitchat

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
irma said:
no logical is that a steffi fan says steffi is better and a monica fans says monica is better

and that's how it should be
But Irma, what about the record?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
27,114 Posts
It's logical to me that Jo Durie has always had and always will have a winning record against Steffi Graf:

1983-10-24 Filderstadt Indoor Hardcourt R16 Jo Durie (GBR) 6-0 6-3
1984-06-25 Wimbledon Grass R16 Jo Durie (GBR) 3-6 6-3 9-7
1985-01-21 Key Biscayne Hardcourt R64 Jo Durie (GBR) 2-6 6-4 7-5
1985-05-13 Berlin Clay R32 Steffi Graf (GER) 3-6 6-2 6-3
1985-10-21 Brighton Indoor Carpet R16 Jo Durie (GBR) 6-2 6-3
1986-08-18 Mahwah Hardcourt SF Steffi Graf (GER) 6-4 6-7 6-1
1988-03-14 Key Biscayne Hardcourt R16 Steffi Graf (GER) 6-1 6-1


Logically, there really are no excuses in this head-to-head. Jo Durie is simply the better player!

Who says British women don't make good tennis players ?

BTW irma :hearts:, you just hit step 4 :worship:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,635 Posts
I am a steffi fan of course I believed steffi should have kicked monica's ass all the time also in the early ninties, but that did not happen so those years monica played better. in 91/92 monica won 6 slams, steffi 2. steffi lead the head to head 3:1. still I wish it would have been the opposite. I am sure sabatini fans feel the same way when talking about her and steffi.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47,533 Posts
Kart said:
It's logical to me that Jo Durie has always had and always will have a winning record against Steffi Graf:

1983-10-24 Filderstadt Indoor Hardcourt R16 Jo Durie (GBR) 6-0 6-3
1984-06-25 Wimbledon Grass R16 Jo Durie (GBR) 3-6 6-3 9-7
1985-01-21 Key Biscayne Hardcourt R64 Jo Durie (GBR) 2-6 6-4 7-5
1985-05-13 Berlin Clay R32 Steffi Graf (GER) 3-6 6-2 6-3
1985-10-21 Brighton Indoor Carpet R16 Jo Durie (GBR) 6-2 6-3
1986-08-18 Mahwah Hardcourt SF Steffi Graf (GER) 6-4 6-7 6-1
1988-03-14 Key Biscayne Hardcourt R16 Steffi Graf (GER) 6-1 6-1


Logically, there really are no excuses in this head-to-head. Jo Durie is simply the better player!

Who says British women don't make good tennis players ?

BTW irma :hearts:, you just hit step 4 :worship:
Now that´s a good one! I thought that steffi didn´t have a losing record against any player?1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kart said:
It's logical to me that Jo Durie has always had and always will have a winning record against Steffi Graf:

1983-10-24 Filderstadt Indoor Hardcourt R16 Jo Durie (GBR) 6-0 6-3
1984-06-25 Wimbledon Grass R16 Jo Durie (GBR) 3-6 6-3 9-7
1985-01-21 Key Biscayne Hardcourt R64 Jo Durie (GBR) 2-6 6-4 7-5
1985-05-13 Berlin Clay R32 Steffi Graf (GER) 3-6 6-2 6-3
1985-10-21 Brighton Indoor Carpet R16 Jo Durie (GBR) 6-2 6-3
1986-08-18 Mahwah Hardcourt SF Steffi Graf (GER) 6-4 6-7 6-1
1988-03-14 Key Biscayne Hardcourt R16 Steffi Graf (GER) 6-1 6-1


Logically, there really are no excuses in this head-to-head. Jo Durie is simply the better player!

Who says British women don't make good tennis players ?

BTW irma :hearts:, you just hit step 4 :worship:
Wasn't me that said British women don't make good tennis players. Virginia Wade is one of my all-time favorites. Jo Durie was a great serve-and-volley player who beat Graf when she was a little girl. It's obvious from the last match they played where that rivalry was headed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,635 Posts
Kart said:
It's logical to me that Jo Durie has always had and always will have a winning record against Steffi Graf:

1983-10-24 Filderstadt Indoor Hardcourt R16 Jo Durie (GBR) 6-0 6-3
1984-06-25 Wimbledon Grass R16 Jo Durie (GBR) 3-6 6-3 9-7
1985-01-21 Key Biscayne Hardcourt R64 Jo Durie (GBR) 2-6 6-4 7-5
1985-05-13 Berlin Clay R32 Steffi Graf (GER) 3-6 6-2 6-3
1985-10-21 Brighton Indoor Carpet R16 Jo Durie (GBR) 6-2 6-3
1986-08-18 Mahwah Hardcourt SF Steffi Graf (GER) 6-4 6-7 6-1
1988-03-14 Key Biscayne Hardcourt R16 Steffi Graf (GER) 6-1 6-1


Logically, there really are no excuses in this head-to-head. Jo Durie is simply the better player!

Who says British women don't make good tennis players ?

BTW irma :hearts:, you just hit step 4 :worship:
:lol:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
27,114 Posts
irma said:
I am a steffi fan of course I believed steffi should have kicked monica's ass all the time also in the early ninties, but that did not happen so those years monica played better. in 91/92 monica won 6 slams, steffi 2. steffi lead the head to head 3:1. still I wish it would have been the opposite. I am sure sabatini fans feel the same way when talking about her and steffi.
Funny you should mention that irma :hearts: because Gabriela Sabatini had a winning record against Jo Durie :

1986-06-16 Eastbourne Grass R16 Gabriela Sabatini (ARG) 1-6 6-4 6-4
1987-02-23 Key Biscayne Hardcourt R128 Gabriela Sabatini (ARG) 6-4 6-1
1992-03-02 Boca Raton Hardcourt R32 Gabriela Sabatini (ARG) 6-2 6-0
Gabriela Sabatini (ARG) leads 3:0

So Gabriela Sabatini was a better player than Steffi Graf which is what I've been saying for years :rolleyes: ... how logical is that :D:D:D:D:D.

I like this thread ;).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,635 Posts
;)

well at least they also won a slam together
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kart said:
Funny you should mention that irma :hearts: because Gabriela Sabatini had a winning record against Jo Durie :

1986-06-16 Eastbourne Grass R16 Gabriela Sabatini (ARG) 1-6 6-4 6-4
1987-02-23 Key Biscayne Hardcourt R128 Gabriela Sabatini (ARG) 6-4 6-1
1992-03-02 Boca Raton Hardcourt R32 Gabriela Sabatini (ARG) 6-2 6-0
Gabriela Sabatini (ARG) leads 3:0

So Gabriela Sabatini was a better player than Steffi Graf which is what I've been saying for years :rolleyes: ... how logical is that :D:D:D:D:D.

I like this thread ;).
I thought you and Irma might, and I'm still waiting for Da Forehand to chime in. Hey- it's all been discussed before, but there's always someone new here, and always a new chance to show just how great Steffi Graf really was. :worship:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47,533 Posts
Kart said:
But alfajeffster, what about the record?
Yeah, what about the record?! You said that h2h is all that matters right?!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,635 Posts
that said I don't take the after 95 wins don't count and say nothing especially not the ones after 98.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,635 Posts
alfajeffster said:
I thought you and Irma might, and I'm still waiting for Da Forehand to chime in. Hey- it's all been discussed before, but there's always someone new here, and always a new chance to show just how great Steffi Graf really was. :worship:
steffi rules :rocker:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47,533 Posts
irma said:
that said I don't take the after 95 wins don't count and say nothing especially not the ones after 98.
Of course they count....when you play, losing is the risk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,635 Posts
I am everywhere were the name steffi comes up. I am an officialy diagnosted addict (and still no joke) :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Kart said:
But alfajeffster, what about the record?
And how many majors did Jo Durie win?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,268 Posts
Well stats aren't reflective of anything concrete. I personally would discount the first three meetings in '89 due to them coming at a time when Graf was an established, dominant #1 coming of a golden slam year whilst Monica was a 15 year old inexperienced newcomer for those matches.

Graf/Seles fans are always going to argue the toss with no real result. Both were huge talents in the same era. All is safe to say, imo, is that Graf would have less slam singles titles now had Seles not been stabbed and Seles would have had more than now. However, I've no doubt each would have won several between them and would have battled for the #1 spot.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
27,114 Posts
bandabou said:
Yeah, what about the record?! You said that h2h is all that matters right?!
I didn't say that. As I explained in the other thread Sabatini and Graf's head to head is not accurate because Gaby had to deal with the pressure of having a rose named after her and an international line of perfumes.

Steffi didn't have that pressure which is why their record only counts in Florida because Gaby lived near there and could relax a bit more.

I'll let irma :hearts: tell you about their head to head in Florida :p.
 
1 - 20 of 368 Posts
Top