Team WTAworld, Senior Member
64,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK.

Someone fire this Dutch commentator. :eek:

·
Registered
21,146 Posts
Well, French commentators kept talking about Mara's coach, Gianpaolo Coppo, while he was not even there! They thought he was Marco, the physical coach! :eek:

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
64,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Commentators at Berlin are funny :D I remember a few years ago this Dutch commentator kept saying Shaparova, when Maria played against Makiri in Berlin.

·
Registered
22,126 Posts
Commentators at Berlin are funny :D I remember a few years ago this Dutch commentator kept saying Shaparova, when Maria played against Makiri in Berlin.
:lol:

·
Team WTAworld, Moderator, Polish & Serbian Kingdo
119,559 Posts
I'm pretty sure they've never met in Berlin.

·
Banned
4,073 Posts
I'm pretty sure they've never met in Berlin.
I think the commentator might have been getting mixed up with Graf and Seles's meeting in the Berlin final of 1990.

Incidentally, that was 16 year-old peroxide-haired Monica's first win over Steffi, a prelude to the French Open final a month later, and, in snapping Graf's 66-match winning streak (the second-greatest of all time), a win Monica later claimed was one of her greatest ever performances. I have the match on tape, and it was indeed a sensational display of tennis. At the beginning, Graf's body language suggested that she expected a routine victory; but my how that changed as Seles dug her heels into the court -- and her teeth into Graf -- after just a few games, firing some pinpoint winners. Her jaw was fixed and her countenance etched with intensity, as she stood inside the baseline waiting to return second serves, something no woman had ever done in such a threatening manner before her.

Graf, according to Monica's memoirs, smashed a hole in the wall in the dressing room after that loss.

·
Banned
1,679 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,865 Posts
The dutch commentators are such a big laugh!

At the Australian Open they said: I wonder how Ana is feeling now, cause of her injury in Sydney :rolleyes:
US Open 2006 looking at the crowd: That must be Zoltan Kuharsky, Ana's coach.

That's just an example, but they make more unbelieveable mistakes.
Sometimes they cheer for an amazing shot, but the umpire called that ball out. 1 minute later the commentator realise that the ball was out, looking at the scoreboard :rolleyes:

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
:eek: Where do they find these people?

Its the same at wimbledon with british commentators they get basic facts wrong. I could do a better job.:eek:

·
Registered
334 Posts
I think the commentator might have been getting mixed up with Graf and Seles's meeting in the Berlin final of 1990.

Incidentally, that was 16 year-old peroxide-haired Monica's first win over Steffi, a prelude to the French Open final a month later, and, in snapping Graf's 66-match winning streak (the second-greatest of all time), a win Monica later claimed was one of her greatest ever performances. I have the match on tape, and it was indeed a sensational display of tennis. At the beginning, Graf's body language suggested that she expected a routine victory; but my how that changed as Seles dug her heels into the court -- and her teeth into Graf -- after just a few games, firing some pinpoint winners. Her jaw was fixed and her countenance etched with intensity, as she stood inside the baseline waiting to return second serves, something no woman had ever done in such a threatening manner before her.

Graf, according to Monica's memoirs, smashed a hole in the wall in the dressing room after that loss.
What I really admire about Steffi is that she would never have revealed such a thing about another player. Monica may have bared her soul in her book but she also tried to allude to things about Steffi, helping to perpetuate negative images of her. In the end when I read the book, the remarks made by Monica came across to me as petty. All Steffi did was train hard and work hard. As I said, Steffi has always kept her own counsel and has never slagged anyone off. As she once said, she preferred to let the racket do the talking. It would be interesting to know if anyone can find any quote from Steffi about Monica other than positive.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts