Tennis Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know nobody will flock to Vegas to put their money on Adriana Serra-Zanetti to beat Martina Hingis in the Aussie quarters, but congratulations to her anyway for making it so far in the draw.

It's great to see yet another veteran finding some sort of success later in her career.

It's also good to see another pair of sisters making their mark on tour as younger sister Antonella didn't do so bad in this tournament either.

The best of luck to Adriana!!!

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,478 Posts
Another good luck to Adriana, and also a congratulations to her, regardless of her performance in the quarterfinals :)

It's always great to see a player get a big result like this and finally get some recognition that they deserve - especially a veteran like Adriana who has come back from being down around 250 about a year ago!

Keep up the great work Adriana :)

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not seen Adriana play in a long time. What is her game like today? I hear she has a big forehand and this tournament might give her more confidence for the future.

So does she have the game right now to be in the top twenty or thirty? Has she been inspired by the other Italian veterans Farina-Elia and Grande?

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
8,263 Posts
Hi, I would just like to congratulate Adriana, I saw her in the news today with the point when she wins and a bit of press conference, it just shows how much she love the sport even though she is not in the elite. It was a genuine smile on her face and she obviously feel very good inside her as well. In the press conference, she cannot stop smiling. It is always nice to see that you don't have to be in the elite to find joy and success in the sport even though their goals are vastly different.

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,478 Posts
I was fortunate enough to see her play a couple times in Toronto over the summer and she really seems to be playing good tennis still. She's short, but she's a fiesty competitor, not afraid to go for her shots and play aggressively, and can also run down balls well and take them early.

I was pretty impressed with how well she moved on the baseline having a double handed forehand and backhand, plus she's also a pretty good volleyer too. One of those players that can give you a rough time if she's having a good day because she goes for the lines a fair bit and takes risks.

I don't think she'll crack top 20, but with some consistent results through the year I wouldn't say bottom of the top 30 isn't impossible. She's definetly gained a lot of confidence in the last little while so who knows. Seems to be a trend lately for the Italian ladies to be rising up in their later years these days! lol

·
Registered
11,268 Posts
Hey quit with the veteran talk you guys. She's the same age as me - 26. I don't feel ready to be labelled veteran by association yet.
Even though Adriana took out Frazier and Farina-Elia this week I have to say I'm genuinely thrilled for her.
She was Italy's hope in the early '90s but it just never happened for her. Then in about '94 or '95 she made the Italian Open quarters and it looked like she maybe was on her way but again nothing happened. But now after this tournament and a solid year end to 2000 hopefully she can have a good year and make herself some money for her perserverence. Hopefully she can do well but Hingis is going to be a tough one for her to play because she's not going to get many cheap points which is what she will probably need to settle her nerves.

·
Banned
2,623 Posts
I think Adriana was the surprise of her section in the draw. I expected either Farina-Elia or Sucha to emerge as quarterfinalists, but Adriana stepped up and beat them both. I do remember her from years back... I hadn't heard of her again until Wimbledon 2001. I'm glad to see her going so far in this event.

!!! GOOD LUCK ADRIANA !!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts