·
Registered
44,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Golovin, 17, latest to commit to Pilot Pen
Jim Fuller, Register Staff
08/10/2005

Email to a friend Printer-friendly

Tatiana Golovin is the latest addition to the Pilot Pen Tennis tournament’s women’s playing field.

Golovin, 17, reached the third round of the French Open and upset Venus Williams and Nadia Petrova to advance to the semifinals of the Tier I event in Charleston, S.C. Golovin, currently ranked No. 25, was named the 2004 WTA Newcomer of the Year.

Advertisement
Golovin becomes the 11th top 25 player to commit to the Pilot Pen, but because she missed the entry for direct acceptance into the Pilot Pen, Golovin is not guaranteed a spot in the main draw.

Golovin becomes the No. 2 player on the Pilot Pen’s "next in" list behind top-ranked Lindsay Davenport. If two main draw players withdraw before the start of the Pilot Pen, Golovin would move into the main draw. If not, she would be eligible to receive a wild card into the main draw.

Pilot Pen officials also announced the commitment of No. 26 Ai Sugiyama, which was reported by the Register on Sunday. Sugiyama, who reached the finals at last week’s Tier I San Diego event, becomes the No. 3 player on the "next-in" list.

The Pilot Pen begins with qualifying on Aug. 19. The women’s final is scheduled for 1 p.m. on Aug. 27.

The men’s championship match is set for noon on Aug. 28.

Elena Likhovtseva, who has committed to the Pilot Pen, was named World Team Tennis’ Female Most Valuable Player on Tuesday.

"I didn’t really expect to be an MVP. This is my first (postseason award) in six years," Likhovtseva said.

"It was a lot of fun playing with my team, having their support and the support from my fans at home in Sacramento. It was a good WTT year and I’m looking forward to the playoffs."

Likhovtseva and Male MVP Mark Knowles led the Sacramento Capitals to an 11-3 record and a berth in next month’s WTT playoffs.

·
Ferosh Warrior ♥
53,292 Posts
She withdrew from LA to enter New Haven. Smart decision :yeah:. Good luck.

·
Registered
23,442 Posts
I hope she gets into this tournament. I'm sure they would give her a wildcard over some little known American. I hope she can do well if she does get to play.

·
Premium Member
4,866 Posts
The field is really starting to shape up. In a week it's gone from a weak field to quite a deep, interresting one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts