Tennis Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw it and it was awesome.

I absolutely loved Lord of the Rings (I've seen it twice) and thought I'd be pulling for it to win the Best Picture Oscar but I now have a new favorite.

Russell Crowe is brilliant and Ron Howard's direction is superb. This movie will leave you on edge and will take you through a gamut of emotions - bring tissues. Jennifer Connelly is both breathtaking and poignant as the devoted wife.

Go see it! :D

·
Premium Member
27,114 Posts
I thought it was ok but a fairly optimistic view of schizophrenia. Still it was a true story so I guess that makes it alright - the man is so lucky to have had such an amazingly understanding wife - Jennifer Connelly kind of stole the show IMHO.

I'd say it's definitely worth seeing anyway.

·
Premium Member
21,359 Posts
Thanx Ed! I want to catch this when its released in Oz...mainly cos my fave actress Jennifer Connelly is in it! She *will* get that Oscar I tell ya ;)

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Terry, I hope it sweeps all eight awards it's up for including one for your fave Jennifer. :)

Kart, I'm no so sure I agree that the movie portrayed an "optimistic" view schizophrenia. I found it heartwrenching, maybe even more so because someone very close to me suffers from mental illness (bipolar disorder) but his case is not as severe as that of Crowe's character.

I won't give away any more except to say that it's a terrific film about a subject matter that's not talked about nearly enough.

·
Premium Member
27,114 Posts
GoSandrine :), it's difficult to discuss without giving too much of the story away I agree ;) but I always worry that films like these give false hope to others who may be in the same position. Not that they shouldn't have hope of course but they shouldn't be misled. Personally I found it a great story of courage, but I wouldn't recommend to anyone with mental illness that they attempt to live their lives the same way.

I'd say more, but I can't without giving away the plot.

We'll have this discussion again when everyone's seen the film :).

·
Registered
16,654 Posts
Yesss, I´m sure it´s a great film!!

In Spain will be released 22 Febr.

Jennifer Connelly will win the oscar :hearts:

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Yes, I'm quite interested in this film. I'll go to see it for sure when it's released.

·
double-dog daredevil
12,044 Posts
It's an impressive movie, and I do like Russel Crowe, but I would have been a lot more impressed had they not sanitized Nash's life and his struggles as much as they did.

When I left the theater I felt uplifted, but after picking up the book the movie was based on, I have to say I'm now extremely disappointed in the movie (and Howard) and more impressed with/intrigued by Nash himself.

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
I loved it. My mother has severe manic depression & suffered similar delusions and psychiatric treatment and I felt that this portrayed mental illness very very well. It even had the flashes of humour that you do get when you're looking after someone who is clinically insane.

·
Premium Member
11,130 Posts
If it were on the life of someone 'interesting' , not an economist who worked on game theory i, might consider watching it all! ;)

i saw the first half hour on my illegal dvd but it was in black and white :(.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts