Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of the narrative of "how this final will be accepted by the general public" "how much money can WTA gain from this" which is discussed here up to the point it's almost disturbing how much we think about alternative marketing scenarios rather than real people who just won and deserved their spot, so I just want to share short down to earth story about Bara and Jana's relationship. My English sucks so I'm sorry for the translation not being the best.

The almost incredible story about an eighteen-year-old girl who, accompanied by her parents, came to the village of Omice to the house of the Wimbledon champion Jana Novotna:

She rang the bell and asked her in the garden to help develop her tennis career. At that time the collaboration of Barbora Krejcikova and the former world number two in singles and number one in doubles begun. The legend took over Krejcikova, told her about her experiences, trained her, and traveled with her through tournaments until she became ill. In November 2017, Novotna passed after a long fight with cancer. "Go and win a Grand slam!" those were the last words Krejcikova heard from her.

After the first round of this year's Roland Garros, Barbora told how Novotna tried to teach her not to be distracted from one miss shot: "You don't have to play always nicely. Just win! ”. After the quarterfinals, in which Krejcikova missed the five-match-balls, there were questions of Novotna's well-started matches with Graf in Wimbledon or with Rubin in Paris, which Novotna lost in the end. "It's sad that Jana got that label being not mentally strong". Jana said to Bara that she wasn't even nervous during those matches, it was just a bad mix of the occurences. According to Bara, Jana was incredibly strong, especially during the fight against the disease. She still believed she will win this fight.

But that painful experience also helps Krejcikova. She values health. She doesn't give up. She tries not to take defeats such seriously and takes tennis as fun. In May, the 25-year-old woman won an event in Strasbourg, where Novotna once raised her first clay trophy. "I'm wondering what she would tell me after this successful series. I'm so sorry I can't hear her voice. But I am supported by her loved ones and her friends who knew her well. She always knew I could play tennis at a high level. It's just sad that I didn't succeed sooner "

There is no doubt that Novotna would love the current results of her trustee. Barbora has already fulfilled her last words by winning Roland Garros and Wimbledon in doubles, and the Australian Open in the mix three times in a row.

However, she may have the greatest success ahead of her. "Jana would be certainly proud of me. She would be jumping and screaming. She was always so happy when I was doing well at the ITF tournaments. She would probably rave here even more"

·
Registered
16,594 Posts
I’ve felt waves of sadness over the past few days with so much mentioning of the lovely Jana Novotna.

To this day I still can’t believe she is gone. I used to adore her game style and was so privileged to watch her play live in singles on Court 1 @ Wimbledon.

I think it’s lovely that Barbora is paying so much respect and appreciation towards Jana.

·
Registered
39,983 Posts
Jana was my favorite player back in the day. Her Wimbledon win is probably my first fond early memory of the game. I also recommend to watch a match Jana played against Monica Seles in RG in 1995 or 1996 - fantastic match (there are YouTube highlights). I got emotional when Barbora mentioned her during the on-court interview today. Still can’t believe Jana is gone. I see a lot of Jana’s influence in Barbora, while also being herself. Jana would be so proud and is thoroughly missed.

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
Hope she can complete the final step and honour Novotna with the slam win.

Krejcikova has seriously earned her spot in the final.

Tricky start vs fellow big serving CZE, routine vs Alexandrova, destroyed Svitolina and Sloane then seriously toughed it out vs Coco and a big fighter like Sakkari.

Always loved Pavs natural talent but it just feels like all momentum is with Barbora.

·
Registered
13,498 Posts
Jana was my favorite player back in the day. Her Wimbledon win is probably my first fond early memory of the game. I also recommend to watch a match Jana played against Monica Seles in RG in 1995 or 1996 - fantastic match (there are YouTube highlights). I got emotional when Barbora mentioned her during the on-court interview today. Still can’t believe Jana is gone. I see a lot of Jana’s influence in Barbora, while also being herself. Jana would be so proud and is thoroughly missed.
There was also that amazing match she had against Monica in 1998 at RG after Monica's father had passed, as great as that match was, the meeting at the net afterwards was even more special and I think that's what Jana brought to the tour, she showed the person and the vulnerability behind the player and that's why she was so loved particularly at Wimbledon. There really should be a statue or portrait of that iconic moment in 1993 with the Duchess of Kent at SW19, it transcended the sport and was such a touching moment.

·
Registered
16,594 Posts
There was also that amazing match she had against Monica in 1998 at RG after Monica's father had passed, as great as that match was, the meeting at the net afterwards was even more special and I think that's what Jana brought to the tour, she showed the person and the vulnerability behind the player and that's why she was so loved particularly at Wimbledon. There really should be a statue or portrait of that iconic moment in 1993 with the Duchess of Kent at SW19, it transcended the sport and was such a touching moment.
She was so endearing. I don’t think I can recall anyone NOT liking Novotna. She was the darling of Wimbledon during the 90’s. The British public loved her.

·
33,025 Posts
This is wonderful and it shows that Krejcikova is playing for a lot more than herself.

Her calm demeanor on court, her coolness throughout it all, it shows a grown woman who has been through a difficult time and values life greatly.

·
Registered
39,983 Posts
If anyone wants to give it a watch:

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
My ma has a saying - only the good die young and for Novotna i feel like this is true

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
Jana was also my favourite player in the 90s and would always try to watch her matches when I went to Wimbledon or Eastbourne, or on TV. My first memories of her were some big tussles she had with Laura Golarsa (who nearly shocked Chris Evert) in the late 80s. She was really the last of the great serve and volley players on grass (though even she had to become more baseline on other surfaces and as time went on). Her volleys and movement on grass were the best, she was so graceful and beautiful to watch. I was devastated when she lost to Steffi in 93 after she had that lead; and then I cried with joy when she finally won Wimbledon in 1998. She really won Wimbledon's hearts after that iconic moment when she cried on the Duchess of Kent's shoulders at Wimbledon. It is so sad that she died so young and so touching that she can still be inspiring the rise of Barbora Krejcikova (also a brilliant doubles player like Jana) even after death.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
There really should be a statue or portrait of that iconic moment in 1993 with the Duchess of Kent at SW19, it transcended the sport and was such a touching moment.
It's not just my best memory of Jana, it's also my best memory of the Duchess of Kent. I believe she's been sick with Covid for a while.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I was thinking of the narrative of "how this final will be accepted by the general public" "how much money can WTA gain from this" which is discussed here up to the point it's almost disturbing how much we think about alternative marketing scenarios rather than real people who just won and deserved their spot, so I just want to share short down to earth story about Bara and Jana's relationship. My English sucks so I'm sorry for the translation not being the best.

The almost incredible story about an eighteen-year-old girl who, accompanied by her parents, came to the village of Omice to the house of the Wimbledon champion Jana Novotna:

She rang the bell and asked her in the garden to help develop her tennis career. At that time the collaboration of Barbora Krejcikova and the former world number two in singles and number one in doubles begun. The legend took over Krejcikova, told her about her experiences, trained her, and traveled with her through tournaments until she became ill. In November 2017, Novotna passed after a long fight with cancer. "Go and win a Grand slam!" those were the last words Krejcikova heard from her.

After the first round of this year's Roland Garros, Barbora told how Novotna tried to teach her not to be distracted from one miss shot: "You don't have to play always nicely. Just win! ”. After the quarterfinals, in which Krejcikova missed the five-match-balls, there were questions of Novotna's well-started matches with Graf in Wimbledon or with Rubin in Paris, which Novotna lost in the end. "It's sad that Jana got that label being not mentally strong". Jana said to Bara that she wasn't even nervous during those matches, it was just a bad mix of the occurences. According to Bara, Jana was incredibly strong, especially during the fight against the disease. She still believed she will win this fight.

But that painful experience also helps Krejcikova. She values health. She doesn't give up. She tries not to take defeats such seriously and takes tennis as fun. In May, the 25-year-old woman won an event in Strasbourg, where Novotna once raised her first clay trophy. "I'm wondering what she would tell me after this successful series. I'm so sorry I can't hear her voice. But I am supported by her loved ones and her friends who knew her well. She always knew I could play tennis at a high level. It's just sad that I didn't succeed sooner "

There is no doubt that Novotna would love the current results of her trustee. Barbora has already fulfilled her last words by winning Roland Garros and Wimbledon in doubles, and the Australian Open in the mix three times in a row.

However, she may have the greatest success ahead of her. "Jana would be certainly proud of me. She would be jumping and screaming. She was always so happy when I was doing well at the ITF tournaments. She would probably rave here even more"

Things happens for a reason and at the right time. That's a beautiful story.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts