Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First serve was firing in second set. Movement looks little sharp but serve is coming back to form

67% first serve in good sign

65 % second serve points won

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Naomi isn't anywhere near her best, probably not even near 50% of what she is capable of on this surface.

Begu was quite exhausted towards the end of the first set and in the second set, so the result was NID once Osaka got the break for 7-5.

Good things though -- Naomi's first serve seemed to be back in the second set, and she seems to be more aggressive on second serve return. But concerning is still her inability to counterpunch as effectively as she could last season, plus her movement doesn't seem as explosive. Regardless, there's still levels she can elevate to so we'll see.

Naomi makes the SF playing the bare minimum in her first 3 rounds lol. Maybe except the first set against Boulter, she wasn't really challenged. SF against Mertens or Svitolina would provide a better indicator at where her level is truly at, but I won't be surprised if she pulls a Serena and WDs too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
22 winners and 11 enforced errors was just so good! Although I still feel she needs to raise her level up a bit more to contest for the final :) Good luck girl!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
When she's on, Naomi's combination of power and margin is excellent to watch!! She shows how you can play aggressively whilst not going for the lines all the time, like BBB's.
I just love her technique as well that inside out forehand was on fire!!

Begu did well in the first set, but her serve was too erratic, especially in the second set!!

·
Premium Member
Bianca Andreescu, Iga Swiatek
5,205 Posts
With this Win Naomi matches her longest Match-Winning Streak which she had from the end of 2019 to the Semis in Brissy 2020. Now she has again won 14 Matches in a row!

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
14th consecutive match win for Osaka. She hasn't lost a tour match since February last year (364 days ago) -- not that this means much when the tour was shut down for the better part of last year

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
1h17min win...but I am reeeeally torn if I want to see her play tomorrow or not. Considering opponent, maybe play at like 80% and either lose or win then withdraw from final in prep for AO?

·
Registered
356 Posts
1h17min win...but I am reeeeally torn if I want to see her play tomorrow or not. Considering opponent, maybe play at like 80% and either lose or win then withdraw from final in prep for AO?
Why do you change the flag of your account every time ? Japan, Australian and now American?

·
Premium Member
Bianca Andreescu, Iga Swiatek
5,205 Posts
Well, there is a Match Tie Break if it goes 3 so that definitly helps knowing you don't have to play a full 3rd Set!

·
Registered
13,604 Posts
Begu gifting the first set, was understandably exhausted at the end. Osaka is not spending much energy on court, and it bodes well for next week. Easy practice sessions.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Why do you change the flag of your account every time ? Japan, Australian and now American?
I never changed it to Australian, you are thinking of Akhira. As for American now it is because I am currently in America for work related reasons for the next four month.

·
Registered
13,468 Posts
Next match would be the real indication of Naomi's level, and she should play to get a sense on how to play either Svitolina/Mertens as they represent typical 11-30 ranked players playing style.

Whether tanking the final, depends on how much time she is spending in the SF.

·
Banned
8,416 Posts
I never changed it to Australian, you are thinking of Akhira. As for American now it is because I am currently in America for work related reasons for the next four month.
Wow 4 months in Amerika in the middle of a pandemic :oops:
I think its safer in Tokyo

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Wow 4 months in Amerika in the middle of a pandemic :oops:
I think its safer in Tokyo
Work related requirement, I had no choice. I guess the good(?) news is that I will be confined in a somewhat bubbled environment while working in a special project and not going out in town or anything.

...At least they pay me well, but of course this happens during the one slam that is easiest for me to follow live in Japan, timezone wise.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts