Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I thought I would start an "interview" feature. I figured that maybe 2 players can be featured per week. I came up with a standardized set of questions, so that it is easy on me and easy on you. I will post a sample one for Giusa here in a bit. But here is are the questions.

They will be posted in the appropriate tournament page, but also posted here so that we can easily refer back to them. Perhaps if we are successful, we can come up with some new questions and do a second round through.

If you have any suggestions for other questions, please, don't hesitate!

If you want to be featured, simply fill it out and send it to me via PM (or you can just post it yourself, either works!!).

Getting to know….

Short Bio with achievements. Include 2 pictures (one on court and one off court, if possible). Expand upon answers where appropriate.

Background:

Full Name:

Nickname(s):

Place of birth:

Number of siblings:

Any pets?:

What’s the most played song on your I-tunes?

If you could have dinner with anyone (living or dead) who would it be and why?

If you could do anything other than be a tennis player, what would you do?

Favorites:

Food?

Movie?

Drink?

City?

About your tennis life:

What’s your biggest strength?

What’s your biggest weakness?

What’s your dream tournament to win?

Who is your best friend on tour?

Who is your biggest rival on tour and why?

What’s your most memorable achievement?

Do you have any superstitions on court?

About your fellow tennis players:

Who is the drama queen?

Who is the funniest?

Who is the bitchiest?

Who is the most likely to wind up in jail?

Who is the prettiest?

Who is Miss Congeniality (the nicest/sweetest)?

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Our first "Getting to Know" feature is on Jennifer Casanova, coming off of a semifinals at Roland Garros and a doubles runner up there...​

Getting to know….Jennifer Casanova

Jennifer Casanova is a female pro tennis player of the USA on the FWTT Tour, currently playing her 12th season, starting back in 2004. She is a former world number one (2015) and currently ranked 3# in singles and 1# in doubles. Besides winning 20 singles titles including the French Open in 2009 and the PM tournaments of Cincinnati (4x), Beijing and Madrid, Casanova won the calendar Grand Slam in doubles in 2015, partnering Ruflina Taliamanosoko (ISR). They have won a total of 9 GS tournaments and 59 doubles titles together. Jennifer Casanova also won two GS in mixed doubles, partnering her cousin Steven Capriati in both titles (US Open 2009 and Australian Open 2014). She led the US-team to win the Fed Cup in 2015, being on the team with Harper Johnson, Anna Kenndal and Dewonder Davis.

Background:

Full Name: Jennifer Casanova

Nickname(s): Jen

Place of birth: Long Island, USA

Number of siblings: none

Any pets?: A dog named “Jack”, Yorkshire Terrier

What’s the most played song on your I-tunes? David Guetta – Love is gone

If you could have dinner with anyone (living or dead) who would it be and why? All the FWTT players together at one table.

If you could do anything other than be a tennis player, what would you do? History teacher

Favorites:

Food? Schnitzel

Movie? Death becomes her

Drink? Beer

City? Melbourne

About your tennis life:

What’s your biggest strength? Groundstrokes

What’s your biggest weakness? Serve

What’s your dream tournament to win? US Open, Australian Open, Stuttgart

Who is your best friend on tour? Ruflina Taliamanosoko as well as Harper Johnson and Elise Mesane.

Who is your biggest rival on tour and why? Vittoria Perez, difficult to predict

What’s your most memorable achievement? Winning the French Open in 2009 and winning the calendar Grand Slam in doubles with Ruffy in 2015.

Do you have any superstitions on court? If I win a point, I’ll take the same ball again

I think we have a wonderful mixture of veterans and newcomers.

Who is the drama queen? Xhaka Ymer

Who is the funniest? Lindsay Galbraith and Elise Mésane

Who is the bitchiest? Vittoria Perez

Who is the most likely to wind up in jail? Vittoria Perez

Who is the prettiest? Elise Mésane

Who is Miss Congeniality (the nicest/sweetest)? Fleri Hingisafrilia

·
Registered
24,206 Posts
We didn't win the doubles ;) haha. Thanks for posting!!!

Harper and Elise also belong to my best mates, can you please add them? :kiss:

Gesendet von meinem GT-I8190 mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,737 Posts

Bianka Harlow is a professional tennis player on the FWTT Tour. At 29, Bianka has had an up-and-down professional career, reaching a all-time high ranking of #5 in singles in 2015 and #13 in doubles (current). She started on the tour as a junior in 2002 playing a couple of qualification matches before joining the tour full time in 2005 at the age of 17. Over the years, she's battled with injury which has taken her out of the game but has won 6 singles titles and 11 doubles titles over the years with her first coming in 2010 as a wildcard to Stuttgart, in her home country. Before 2015, Harlow had failed to crack the top 20 but after making the final of the Australian Open in 2015, she continued to win 5 titles since. Bianka also participated in FWTT Survivor in 2010 finishing 6th.

Full Name: Bianka Harlow

Nickname(s): Bi or BiBi

Place of birth: Munich, Germany

Number of siblings: 2- brother Milo (32) and sister Victoria (23)

Any pets?: none- don't have time!

What’s the most played song on your I-tunes? Like a Prayer- Madonna, I also love all Beyonce but this is probably the most played over the years.

If you could have dinner with anyone (living or dead) who would it be and why? Beyonce. She is just an incredible woman and activist.

If you could do anything other than be a tennis player, what would you do? Probably a psychiatrist. I know it's strange but I just love studying people and how they work.

Favorites:

Food? Pasta

Movie? Moulin Rouge

Drink? Champagne or Iced Tea

City? Dubai

About your tennis life:

What’s your biggest strength? Overall my ground strokes but most likely my forehand, although it can be wild.

What’s your biggest weakness? Serve toss and mental game (confidence)

What’s your dream tournament to win? Wimbledon or the US Open.

Who is your best friend on tour? Alina. I also really love Suzanne and Nadia.

Who is your biggest rival on tour and why? Probably Nadia or Suzanne <laughs>. They are always so tough to play. Jen and I had a few matches last year that it seemed like we played almost every tournament. I'd say Guisa as well from over the years.

What’s your most memorable achievement? Winning my first singles title in Stuttgart as a wildcard! Also, the finals of the Australian Open wasn't too shabby as well because it allowed me to find my stride.

Do you have any superstitions on court? Nothing absurd. I think a lot of players like the play with a ball on which they just won the previous point so maybe that.

Who is the drama queen? Elise or Alina

Who is the funniest? Vittoria

Who is the bitchiest? Vittoria

Who is the most likely to wind up in jail? Lindsay G.

Who is the prettiest? They are all pretty! :)

Who is Miss Congeniality (the nicest/sweetest)? Probably Fleri or Jen.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Getting to know: Giuseppina Benedetti

Benedetti is a long time tour veteran, first premiering on the tour in the summer of 2007. Despite initially showing only signs of talent in singles, her best achievements have been on the doubles court, where she has racked up 3 doubles grandslam titles. In addition, Benedetti has won a load of titles and, in her flagship year, 2011, rose to #3 in singles, actually putting herself one win away from the number one ranking. Since that year, Benedetti's results have been less impressive, but she has managed to get to a grand slam final, Roland Garros 2014, before losing to her longtime doubles partner, Regla Torres.

Background:

Full Name: Giuseppina Alessandra Benedetti

Nickname(s): Giusa; Seppa

Place of birth: Milan, Italy

Number of siblings: 2 older sisters, Cora and Giuliana

Any pets?: A dog and a cat:)...Dog's name is Angel, cat's name is Jacques.

What’s the most played song on your I-tunes? Toto's "Africa"...weird, I know. But my pre-match song is Eminem's "Lose Yourself", haha. It is hard not to get pumped up with that one.

If you could have dinner with anyone (living or dead) who would it be and why? Galileo. I love science and would love to hear all about his brilliant discoveries.

If you could do anything other than be a tennis player, what would you do? I would be a game show host. Or a teacher. I love making people happy and I love helping others. I think a game show host would do both, and I hope a teacher would, too.

Favorites:

Food? Chicken Parmigiano

Movie? I am going to be cliche and say "The Shawshank Redemption".

Drink? Water; A Starbuck's caramel macchiato; or a good blended Margarita.

City? Paris!!!

About your tennis life:

What’s your biggest strength? My mental strength. Just kidding. More like my crying ability. My defense, my lobs, my dropshots, and I personally think my lobs are underrated.

What’s your biggest weakness? My mental strength. My confidence. My backhand. My second serve.

What’s your dream tournament to win? Roland Garros and the Fed Cup.

Who is your best friend on tour? Regla Torres. Although I was really closest with Larissa Ovechkina, but she has long since retired. I was also good friends with Lindsay Raymond, too.

Who is your biggest rival on tour and why? I think that from a tennis stand point I have a big rivalry with Sam Soren. She and I always play close matches and I think I might have played her more than any other player. Jen [Casanova] is a rival too, as she and I go back and forth. I personally consider Ruflina Taliamanosoko a rival, too. She usually beats me, but I really love when I get the win over her. Certainly don't hold back on celebrations during those moments.

What’s your most memorable achievement? Well, I think it would be my doubles slams. I know the singles Roland Garros final is big, but it was such a disappointment. I could barely look at Regla on the doubles court for the final after losing to her in the singles final. But we pulled it out. I also think I would say that took more focus and mental strength than anything I have ever done before. I did hit Regla with one of my serves. That was on purpose.

Do you have any superstitions on court? I bounce the ball 11 times before serving for the first serve. I bounce it 7 for the second serve. If I win a point, I want that ball back. I always wear the same warm up jacket, too.

Who is the drama queen? Vittoria [Perez] is the obvious choice. Lindsay [Gailbrath] also comes to mind. Vittoria is a crazy, psychotic type of dramatic. She is a lunatic. It's entertaining, though. Like watching a pimple get popped. Disgusting and gross, but you can't turn away.

Lindsay is funny dramatic, but has been kind of quiet lately. Bryanne Applegate, the Icelandic chick, and a few others pop to mind for the oldies.

But let's all be honest---the real answer is easy: Xhaka [Ymer]. She is a petulant child. "Oh, I didn't win! I hate this game and all the cheaters! I retire". Two minutes later, "Oh I am back! Everyone look at me!". Harsh? Yes. True? Yes.

Who is the funniest? Lindsay [Gailbraith] and Elise [Mesane]. Elise is a natural Frenchie. She manages to shade people when she isn't even trying. A bitch, but one with a witty sense of humor.

Who is the bitchiest? Well, I think most people would expect me to go with one of my personal feuds. Vittoria is a bitch. She sucks. But she's upfront about it. She freely would agree with me right now.

Ruflina is a total bitch. But she's had 27 kids and walked to school uphill both ways in six feet of snow. She's just your average grumpy octogenarian.

I think Fleri [Hingisafrillia] is actually a secret bitch. She's my friend, but I think she gets enjoyment out of destroying people and then saying "Great job! Hugs:kiss:". She's kind of the Taylor Swift of the tour.

Regla may be my best friend on the tour, but she suffers from RBF (rest bitch face). She's not at all a bitch, though.

But my real answer is Anna Kendall. Do not like her. One bit. Ever since she tried to have her boyfriend kill me...

Who is the most likely to wind up in jail? See above? Maybe add in Alina Patterson. Lots of rumors that her periodic disappearances may have something to do with some tax evasion...

Who is the prettiest? Regla is a classic, simple beauty. Nadia Banaszek is a really pretty woman for being an ancient veteran like me!

Who is Miss Congeniality (the nicest/sweetest)? I think there's a lot of nice girls out there. I really get along well with Bianka Harlow. She's super sweet and genuine. Fleri, of course. Jennifer. Most of the tour, honestly. We aren't just a bunch of bitches like the press likes to paint us. We are mostly mature and friendly ladies. We're kind of a family. One big, weird, family.

·
Registered
24,206 Posts
Great interview, Guisa :kiss: :D

We should definitely continue this neyt season, I think that makes the game very special and gives the players a chance to present their personality :D

·
62,142 Posts
Getting to know… Xhaka Ymer

Xhakalinda Ymer, originally Saikikimbondwe, started her FWTT career on the junior circuit, where she started off with an infamous 21-matches win streak and would bring her to a total of nine grand slam titles (including 5 singles titles). In 2013, Ymer made the change to the pro circuit. So far she has won two doubles grand slam titles (RG 2013 wAnastidis, RG 2016 wFrost) and two singles grand slam titles at Wimbledon and the US Open in 2015.
Shortly after winning the YECs in 2015, Ymer became the world number one singles player in February 2015, yet before lifting the two singles slam trophies that year. Ymer was also announced Player of the Year 2015. In January 2016, then-Saikikimbondwe announced her wedding to Swedish top player Elias Ymer and name change, as well as a multiple month break from the tour in which she tried to overcome bullying traumas. At the French Open 2016, Ymer came back, lifting the doubles trophy with Miranda Frost. One month later, she finished runner-up at Wimbledon, losing in the final to Hingisafrilia. At the 2016 Rio Olympics, Ymer represented Sweden in all three disciplines, taking home a bronze medal in women's doubles (wFrost) which she describes as the biggest success story of her career.

Background:

Full Name: Ymer-Saikikimbondwe, Xhakalinda

Nickname(s): Xhaka

Place of birth: Bunya, Namibia

Number of siblings: 11 (might have eaten one or two as a child)

Any pets?: a husband

What’s the most played song on your I-tunes? Victoire (Shy'm), Brave (Sara Bareilles) and Untouched (the Veronicas)

If you could have dinner with anyone (living or dead) who would it be and why? With Nelson Mandela, one of the greatest heros of our time, and even more so for an African child.

If you could do anything other than be a tennis player, what would you do? I would be a teacher and I will.

Favorites:

Food? Gnocchi with gorgonzola and spinach

Movie? 12 years a slave, Death at the funeral

Drink? Any longdrink will do

City? Cape Town, definitely.

About your tennis life:

What’s your biggest strength? My biggest strength is probably my net game, my leftie forehand and my footwork.

What’s your biggest weakness? I am overweight.

What’s your dream tournament to win? Wimbledon, I want to win it again, biggest dream for sure. Olympics maybe. And then Bastad because it is my home tournament, or Biel/Gstaad.

Who is your best friend on tour? Miranda Frost, she is the best person in the world. Not only my best friend on tour but in general.

Who is your biggest rival on tour and why? I don't have any rivals, I don't care enough. I don't like Ruffy, but I am guessing that that is obvious. Probably my biggest rival is Jennifer Casanova, we used to battle it out for number one for a long time.

What’s your most memorable achievement? Winning Wimbledon and becoming an Olympic medallist.

Do you have any superstitions on court? I eat something in every changeover, preferably something fatty.

Who is the drama queen? Duh.

Who is the funniest? Elise Mésane. She is only around every so often but she is seriously a legend.

Who is the bitchiest? Duh. Fleri Hingisafrilia is a bitch. She might seem nice up front, but she hides the bitch behind her horse teeth. Plus, she is old.

Who is the most likely to wind up in jail? Ruflina, when they finally find out what doping she's been taking all the time.

Who is the prettiest? I have to say probably Alina or Regla.

Who is Miss Congeniality (the nicest/sweetest)? No doubt, that has to be Kathleen. She has been around forever and she is simply lovely. So down to earth, too.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Getting to know…. Oksana Mikhailova

The young Russian burst onto the FWTT scene last year winning her first tournament in Shenzhen before beating Ruflina Taliamanosoko on her way the the Australian Open quarterfinals. She has since followed this up by winning three more international tournaments in Katowice, Istanbul and defending her title in Shenzhen this year. She also made finals at Doha, Nottingham and Zhuhai. In another major tournament, she made the US Open quarterfinals before repeating her run to the same stage at the Australian Open this year. Representing Russia, she progressed to the Olympic quarterfinals in singles. She was named as the 2016 FWTT Newcomer of the Year and topped the voting poll by an overwhelming majority. On the doubles court, she recently won her first doubles title in Saint Petersburg with compatriot Nina Krilova after making several finals last year.

Background:
Full Name: Oksana Evgenyevna Mikhailova
Nickname(s): Ksusha
Place of birth: Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
Number of siblings: 2 (sister Elena and brother Oleksiy)
Any pets?: A dog called Yana
What’s the most played song on your iTunes? Anything Beyoncé but I listen to a lot of upbeat stuff before a match.
If you could have dinner with anyone (living or dead) who would it be and why? I honestly don't know, but I love my family so probably one of them
If you could do anything other than be a tennis player, what would you do? I would do fashion or another sport

Favorites:
Food? Pizza
Movie? Mean Girls
Drink? Orange juice
City? Paris or Moscow

About your tennis life:
What’s your biggest strength? Power, forehand, mental strength
What’s your biggest weakness? Backhand, serve
What’s your dream tournament to win? Wimbledon
Who is your best friend on tour? The Russian girls (Anastasia and Nina) are lovely and I get on well with Nadia aswell.
Who is your biggest rival on tour and why? Probably Fleri, she normally beats me
What’s your most memorable achievement? Beating Ruflina at Australian Open was amazing
Do you have any superstitions on court? Not really, I always talk to myself between points though

Who is the drama queen? Xhaka
Who is the funniest? Elise
Who is the bitchiest? Vittoria
Who is the most likely to wind up in jail? Probably Vittoria again, sorry
Who is the prettiest? Bianka
Who is Miss Congeniality (the nicest/sweetest)? Jen and Nadia are lovely

·
Registered
47,911 Posts
Great Articles Giusa, Xhaka and Oksana :hug:

PS: Xhaka was actually looking very decent with the make up on, even though she wore plus size dress on that night receiving cheap award :eek: :p :hug:

·
Registered
47,911 Posts
Getting to know.....Fleri Hingisafrilia

The multiple Grand Slam Champion, Fleri was born in Jakarta Indonesia, her mother is half Indonesian half Dutch and her father is Australian, she grew up at one of the busiest city in South East Asia, where her father worked as a CEO of Multi Billion Oil Company in Jakarta. It was very nice to be surrounding by diversity and multicultural people. Then at the age of 8, Fleri and her parents moved back to Sydney Australia where they called it home.

Fleri started playing tennis at the later stage of her life, when she was in early 30, she was always focus on her academic achievement rather than pursue her career where she believes that she can do very well in professional tennis. She started playing local, state and national tournament where she did very well, then decided to take the world tour, at first she was struggling a little bit, and her results were getting better and better as she gets older, she became World #1 and GS Singles Champion at the age of 35.

Background:

Full Name: Fleriancediore Hingisafrilia

Nickname(s): Fleri

Place of birth: Jakarta, Indonesia (Australian Citizen)

Any pets?: None, don't have time to look after them

What’s the most played song on your I-tunes? I don't have i-Tunes, I prefer listing to Spotify Premium, I likes all type of songs

If you could have dinner with anyone (living or dead) who would it be and why? With My lovely Mum and Dad, they are my greatest people I have ever known, they always loves me unconditionally

If you could do anything other than be a tennis player, what would you do? I would be a Victoria's Secret model

Favorites:

Food? Seafood (except Scallops)

Movie? Titanic and All horror movies

Drink? Ice Tea

City? Sydney is definitely

About your tennis life:

What’s your biggest strength? Forehand, mental strength, defence
What’s your biggest weakness? Backhand, volley
What’s your dream tournament to win? French Open
Who is your best friend on tour? Jen, Kath, Sabine, Giusa, Vittoria and Bianka
Who is your biggest rival on tour and why? Probably Ruffy/Elise, I have bad H2H records against these two
What’s your most memorable achievement? Winning my second Wimbledon Singles Title
Do you have any superstitions on court? Not really, I usually very calm and concentrate on court

Who is the drama queen? Xhaka
Who is the funniest? Lindsay Galbraith
Who is the bitchiest? Elise (silence bitch), I would rather hanging around louder bitchy player like "Vittoria"
Who is the most likely to wind up in jail? Probably Xhaka, for stabbing either myself or Ruffy because she frustrated losing her match against "the greatest oldies"
Who is the prettiest? Bianka definitely
Who is Miss Congeniality (the nicest/sweetest)? Jen, Kath, Regla, Giusa and Bianka

1 - 20 of 32 Posts