Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an idea I've been kicking around.

In some martial arts events, if someone wins a match but is too injured to continue, the person who they defeated gets their spot. Translating to tennis, it sort of extends 'lucky losers' into the main draw. At any rate, this would mean, in the case of mst walkovers, that the fans would still see a match. The players would have to hang around an extra day at tournaments after they lost, to make sure they weren't advancing after all, but that would be no big deal.

What do you think?

·
I felt suddenly quite wildly happy.
49,181 Posts
Most of the W/O happens during the match so it wouldn't be such help...

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
it's an interesting idea, but walkovers don't really happen all that often. the lower ranked players that move on to the next tournament as soon as they lose might be a little bit annoyed by the extra travel time and costs, but as a fan i'm not entirely opposed to the idea.

·
double-dog daredevil
12,044 Posts
Volcana said:
The players would have to hang around an extra day at tournaments after they lost,
trans: "the tournaments would have to pay to keep players around and extra day..."

I like the idea, but I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
34,218 Posts
Volcana said:

In some martial arts events, if someone wins a match but is too injured to continue, the person who they defeated gets their spot. Translating to tennis, it sort of extends 'lucky losers' into the main draw. At any rate, this would mean, in the case of mst walkovers, that the fans would still see a match. The players would have to hang around an extra day at tournaments after they lost, to make sure they weren't advancing after all, but that would be no big deal.

What do you think?
In theory, you could have a player or two who was out (and had to hang around a part of the world far from home for the next week's MD, like Amelia and Charleston) stay there as such "fill-ins". If such a player then won a round or two, she'd get the difference ($ and points) between that and what the other player won.

Plus her lodging would be paid for, which it isn't the case now after she's out of the event, one reason that too many play dubs along with singles too often. (Another shot @ a check, plus having hotel expenses paid for. Except that doing this a lot can wear one out for singles, and add extra "wear and tear", leading to possible injuries).

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
griffin said:
trans: "the tournaments would have to pay to keep players around and extra day..."
Good point. In martial arts, you have several fights a day, so it's not an additional expense in hotel costs.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
no it wouldn't work that way because of logistical complications and cost. What would work is that if someone retires they lose money for that round and tournament and fans are compensated

·
Premium Member
182,421 Posts
griffin said:

I like the idea, but I'm not holding my breath.
from what i've seen, the players hang around anyway to practice before they move onto next event (at least until the Thursday)
cos if they move to next venue anyway, they will have to pay for costs as well as having no one to hit with,

·
I felt suddenly quite wildly happy.
49,181 Posts
when a player win a slam after having three walkover some people already say she didn't really win it, what if someone won a slam after loosing a match and then replacing her injured opponent ?

·
Registered
30,235 Posts
Volcana said:

What do you think?
Great idea. The best example: Serena retired 4 times last year and she played only 10 event. She should be replaced by LL

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
It will not work!
Winning Slams/tournament means being unbeatable for consecutive matches. That was the tradition and I dont think its gonna change. Withdrawals are already a part of tennis, accept it or not.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
It aload of crap. Take away Justine's default in the oz open final which was questionable at best. You can't say a player is not allowed to default a match there are times when there is no other option, Heat stress comes to mind and they generally happen once the match has started there is not much you can do about it. Tennis does have rules for defaults before matches in the 1st round they let a lucky loser play in the defaulted place so your idea is pointless as there is nothing that can be done after that.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I support the idea though it won't be acceptable that easily

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
I think its an interesting idea.. a player would only have to "hang around" for an extra day or so to see whether that particular match was a GO or not and most of the time you ahve some idea if there is going to be a walkover.

I don't think VOlcana was talking about a retirement once the match started. I think we're talking about a walkover which means not a ball was struck in the match. it would be hard to get the scheduling right with the replacement player.. but still.

·
Registered
12,560 Posts
It would be hard to be put into rules, since it may be leate in rounds, but who knows

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Would not be fair to the other players for a LL to enter the draw in Quarters or Semis or anywhere else except in the first round.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts