Tennis Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They're having a "Greatest Match" contest run by the WTA Tour after the US Open ends. The Tour has selected 15 of the greatest matches over the past 30 years, and the public and media can vote for the best one!! Monica, amazingly(but not surprisingly), has four matches on that list! So be prepared to vote on September 8th at www.wtatour.com for your favorite Monica match!!

http://www.wtatour.com/index.cfm?section=main&cont_id=203267

Fans/ Media to Vote for Greatest Women's Match
Winner to be named at WTA Tour Championships
September 05, 2003

FLUSHING MEADOWS, New York, NY – The WTA Tour has unveiled its ‘Vote for the Best’ contest, which will encourage both fans and members of the international media to decide the Greatest Women’s Match during the Open Era.

Fifteen classic matches over the last 33 years have been selected by WTA Tour officials, taking into account compelling rivalries, from the sport’s biggest events and viewed by the widest audience at the time.

“The most difficult part of this project was trying to select just 15 matches from over 30 years of outstanding women’s tennis” said WTA Tour CEO Larry Scott. “This will be a great way to recognize some of the wonderful moments and matches from past years and to reflect on those remarkable battles which many of us were privileged to watch. It’s wonderful to announce the contest here at the US Open where many of these matches took place and where today’s WTA Tour stars are making memories for new generations.”

The 15 Greatest Matches will be released at a press conference to the media at the US Open and subsequently to fans on the Tour website on September 8. Members of the media will be able to vote via email while the voting process for fans will begin on the WTA Tour’s web site www.wtatour.com following the conclusion of the US Open on September 8. Three matches will be featured during the inaugural week, followed by two each week thereafter until October 20. Voting will close on Monday, October 27, and the results will be counted.

The match with the highest number of votes will be deemed the Greatest Women’s Match of the Open Era during the WTA Tour Championships presented by Porsche at Staples Center, Los Angeles.

15 GREATEST MATCHES IN WOMEN’S TENNIS

1970 WIMBLEDON FINAL
Court d. King 14-12, 11-9

1976 WIMBLEDON FINAL
Evert d. Goolagong 63, 46, 86

1981 US OPEN FINAL
Austin d. Navratilova 16, 76(4), 76(1)

1985 FRENCH OPEN FINAL
Evert d. Navratilova 63, 67(4), 75

1986 US OPEN SF
Navratilova d. Graf 61, 67(3), 76(8)

1990 VS CHAMPIONSHIPS FINAL
Seles d. Sabatini 64, 57, 36, 64, 62

1991 WIMBLEDON FINAL
Graf d. Sabatini 64, 36, 86

1991 US OPEN SF
Seles d. Capriati 63, 36, 76(3)

1992 FRENCH OPEN FINAL
Seles d. Graf 62, 36, 10-8

1995 US OPEN FINAL
Graf d. Seles 76(6), 06, 63

1996 FRENCH OPEN FINAL
Graf d. Sanchez-Vicario 63, 67(4), 10-8

1999 FRENCH OPEN FINAL
Graf d. Hingis 46, 75, 62

2000 US OPEN SF
V. Williams d. Hingis 46, 63, 75

2001 AUSTRALIAN OPEN QF
Hingis d. S. Williams 62, 36, 86

2002 AUSTRALIAN OPEN FINAL
Capriati d. Hingis 46, 76(7), 62

Reactions: Kart

· Registered
4,847 Posts
Thanks ktwtennis -

I am surprised that they didnt list the 93 Aussie Final vs Graf as one of the matches - oh well.

I will either pick the 91 U.S. Open Semi or the 92 French Final.

Havent decided just yet.

Reactions: Kart

· Registered
4,847 Posts
razzponic said:
What about her match with Serena? That was a great one.
The one that she won right - the eStyle.com Classic QF?
Well I dont think that the match was televised - no one I have ever talked to, has this match. I think the final was the only match shown on tv. So not many people got to see the QF match where Monica def Serena 6-2,3-6,7-6(2), so that is probably why it was not listed in the Greatest matches.

I wish that I could get that match. I think all Seles fans do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.