Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
26,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In this week's rankings, there are exactly 2 (two) German women left in the top 100, Anca Barna and Marlene Weingärtner. :eek: :rolleyes:
I'm quite sure this has never been the case before since rankings exist.

I'm aware that Barna, Schruff and Grönefeld have had good results last week.
But Schruff and Grönefeld are the only players being on their way up the ranks.
What about Rittner, Roesch, Arn, Müller, Lamade (injured, I know), Kandarr ? All in top 100 not long ago, and all currently slumping.
BTW, Marlene Weingärtner was just a few points away of being ranked no. 180 in January, it would be even worse now. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Barna, Schruff and Grönefeld are all upcoming. Groenefeld is the next Graf, beleive me, this girl can play. also watch out for a girl named Annete Kolb!

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
If you feel bad about German tennis, look at the rankings of the British players to make yourself feel better.

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
4-3 Alex

great Lucie now hold serve!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
If you feel bad about German tennis, look at the rankings of the British players to make yourself feel better.
The state of British tennis is pitiful. :eek: Especially the women.

And, please don't call any of the German girls "the next Graf"!! It's so unfair. :rolleyes: No other German player will equal what Steffi did, EVER. :hearts:

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Maybe we can compose an open letter to Steffi, and convince her to stop breeding long enough to stage a comeback, or at least teach Anke a serve and let her comeback.

Yeah lets do that, she'll read this msg. board!

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
seldom83 said:
Barna, Schruff and Grönefeld are all upcoming. Groenefeld is the next Graf, beleive me, this girl can play. also watch out for a girl named Annete Kolb!
Honestly, I don´t like it, when people compare the young girls with Steffi Graf.
Anna-Lena is Anna-Lena and no Steffi, the second.

And I´m getting very careful over the years, to say player soandso become the next superstar of tennis, just because she had few good junior results.

Heike Rusch won the Australian Open 93, Andrea Glass was in the finale of Australian Open 93, Marlene Weingärtner was in two or three Grand Slam finals in her time as junior too.

Last year, same time, all newspapers and fans were sure, that Martina Müller is the next Top 20 player...and where is she now?
So much can happen, so much great juniors stay one- and second roundlosers in the "adult-circuit".

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Ted of Teds Tennis said:
If I heard correctly on Deutsche Welle's sports report last Friday, Barna is 26 years old. Not exactly an up-and-comer.
It's true. She turned 26 in May. That doesn't make her a pensioner, of course. Not yet. But for comparison this was roughly the same age Huber retired.

Barna shouldn't be compared to Anke, though. She is a late bloomer. Her first real upsurge happened in 1999, she stabilized in 2000, improved further in 2001, and finally broke the Top 100 barrier in 2002.

And now she's actually challenging for the Top 50 - despite some setbacks earlier this season. In that sense, she is an up-and-comer, just not a young one. Other than her progressing age, she doesn't suffer from any debilitating ailments to my knowledge.

We are not talking about a future Slam contender, of course, and her career goal of the Top 20 is perhaps also a bit optimistic, but for a German she's doing exceptionally well at the moment.

·
Banned
382 Posts
well.......i did a thread talking about
the Germans streak for reaching
4R in Aussie Open for like 20 yrs in a row.....
till this yr of course.........
oh well, at least they still have Angelique Kerber,
but there is pretty much no hope for them
to produce another Steffi Graf at least
for another few yrs....

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
convince her to stop breeding long enough to stage a comeback
Well, that would be difficult since Andre wants SIX kids. :eek:

I thought he was joking but it looks like they are well on track for six by the time Steffi is 40. :kiss:

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
maybe steffi gets a girl this time;)

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
A girl would be nice, Irma. :angel:

They could name her Elizabeth. :kiss: That name would be easier to pronounce for the Germans than Jaden was. ;)

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
They could name her Helga ;) That name would be the easiest to pronounce for the Germans :)

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
no that reminds to much of herr flick;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts