Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!
35,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just another example of how race no longer matters here in the good USA. Enjoy its an interesting story. :wavey:

Georgians Plan Whites-Only Prom Party
2 hours, 47 minutes ago Add U.S. National - AP to My Yahoo!

By ELLIOTT MINOR, Associated Press Writer

ALBANY, Ga. - A year after holding their first integrated prom, some students at Taylor County High School have decided to again hold a separate, private party for whites only.

While many whites say they still plan to attend next week's integrated prom, the decision to hold the whites-only prom this Friday saddened senior Gerica McCrary, who helped organize last year's dance.

"I cried," said McCrary, who is black. "The black juniors said, 'Our prom is open to everyone. If you want to come, come.'"

Juniors are in charge of planning the prom each year and last year they decided to have just one dance — the first integrated prom in 31 years in the rural Georgia county 150 miles south of Atlanta.

Until then, parents and students organized separate proms for whites and blacks after school officials stopped sponsoring dances, in part because they wanted to avoid problems arising from interracial dating.

This year, a small number of white juniors decided they wanted a separate prom.

"They influenced the others," said McCrary, who plans to major in biology at Columbus State University. "They didn't vote on anything. They said, 'This is what we're going to do.'"

The school has 439 students, 232 of them black. McCrary and a white friend passed out fliers informing students of all races that they would be welcome at the May 9 prom at nearby Fort Valley State University.

The private prom is Friday night 50 miles away in Columbus.

Erin Posey, a white senior, said the entire junior class joined together in hosting last year's prom, but this year's junior class wasn't as unified.

"I think a lot of seniors were disappointed," she said. "Now we have to choose between two groups of friends."

Posey plans to attend both proms.

"I had some white friends who were not going to the other (inclusive) prom," she said. "I wanted to have time with everybody. I'll have a lot of (black) friends there, too. A lot more of the seniors are going to be at the mixed one."

After school integration, separate proms were common in the rural South, but Taylor County was among the last to cling to the practice.

Glenda Latimore, a 1972 graduate, was in the first class to have separate black and white proms. Now her 16-year-old son, Gerard, is preparing for prom night.

As the black junior class president, her son helped organize the open-to-all prom. The class also has a white president.

"I would have liked to see it together this year," said Latimore, an outfielder on the school's baseball team. "My class would have, too. It just didn't happen this year."

Glenda Latimore said relatives in Philadelphia and New Jersey laugh when they read about Taylor County's prom. She said residents here are "nice and friendly," but they still have a problem with proms.

"It seems like it's something secret," she said. "The white people are afraid to speak up against the separation.

"But I went to a black prom and I had fun," she said. "It didn't kill me, so I tell my son, 'Just go to the prom and have fun. Don't come out hating anyone.'"

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Yep. race no longer matters. :) Keep this thread around.

·
Banned
3,702 Posts
Unless there were previous incidents that led the students to believe that racial violence was possible, then this is stupid... just like blacks having their own groups in schools.

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
Rocketta said:
Glenda Latimore said relatives in Philadelphia and New Jersey laugh when they read about Taylor County's prom.
yep

·
Registered
25,073 Posts
. . . .. not a big deal at all. (race)

·
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!
35,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Leena said:
Unless there were previous incidents that led the students to believe that racial violence was possible, then this is stupid... just like blacks having their own groups in schools.
you're right blacks should "never" be the majority in anything they do they should allways relish being the minority and having to fit to the larger group.

There is a big difference between a prom for a "school" and a volunteer organization. No one is complaining about the fact that only white people can join the Klan. They are more than welcomed to keep that club exclusive. ;)

·
Banned
13,390 Posts
this is ridiculous! and in our day and age too...how moronically narrow-minded man can still be over matters of race. :sad:

·
Banned
13,390 Posts
oh, and btw...the article doesn't say, but i wonder. will all the musical selections be from all-white artists? lol...yeah, right. i'd like to see that happen...

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
This stuff always amazes me. I've met a lot of good southern people, so I don't understand how this goes on. I guess life is different down in the south, but I think it's a shame.

·
Keeper of Venus & Serena,
27,442 Posts
Welcome to my world everyone :)

The small part is -- I'm white, but gay, so I get to see the actual racist attitudes from people who automatically assume I agree with them when they use derogotory words.

The girl that said, "I'm going to both proms to be with my friends at both places," is pathetic. She needs to take a stand and say that the "white-only" prom is just like "white-only" water fountains. I wonder what would happen if a black kid went to the all-white prom.

·
Banned
13,390 Posts
VSFan1 aka Joshua L. said:
The girl that said, "I'm going to both proms to be with my friends at both places," is pathetic. She needs to take a stand and say that the "white-only" prom is just like "white-only" water fountains. I wonder what would happen if a black kid went to the all-white prom.
i totally agree with you josh, but one thing you have to say about a lot of teens these days, is that they don't have the moral fortitude to make these types of decisions...their fear of rejection is stronger than their desire to do right. and that's not just a problem in the south. it's everywhere. :wavey:

·
Keeper of Venus & Serena,
27,442 Posts
DeuceDiva said:
i totally agree with you josh, but one thing you have to say about a lot of teens these days, is that they don't have the moral fortitude to make these types of decisions...their fear of rejection is stronger than their desire to do right. and that's not just a problem in the south. it's everywhere. :wavey:
Sadly, I agree. I think that relates to the current situation to those that were anti-war are being lambasted by a majority of those that were "pro-war" for not going along with everyone else.

The school should be involved and say something about this horrible occurance.

·
Banned
13,390 Posts
VSFan1 aka Joshua L. said:
Sadly, I agree. I think that relates to the current situation to those that were anti-war are being lambasted by a majority of those that were "pro-war" for not going along with everyone else.

The school should be involved and say something about this horrible occurance.
in this instance i disagree. i was pro-war, and never lambasted anyone. i simply argued my points and allowed myself to see the opinions of others. that...has nothing to do with this article. nothing whatsoever. and...i still believe that opposite sides can still agree to disagree while respecting each others' points of view. at least i do.

however, i do agree that the school should be involved. but somehow, i kinda doubt that it will. :sad:

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Sad, but yet not surprised by this segregated move.

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
Alright, so Georgians can live up to the stereotypes about them. rock on! *dances a fuckin' jig* :rolleyes:

Being a Black Georgian, I'm not surprised. I live in a confederate flag wavin' small town but go to uni in the 'scary' inner city. At the pep rallys at the very racist high school in my town, they check only black people for weapons. The white people can walk in freely without being searched. But who happened to get in a fight? *gasp* The white people!

The elementary school less than a block from my house is targeted by the NAACP and the ACLU because white children as young as 5 are calling black children '******' almost daily. They won't play with the black kids or sit near them. The teachers do nothing and the principal acts like it isn't a serious problem. After going to the school board and receiving no help from the powers that be, they contacted the NAACP and the ACLU got involved and now there's going to be change supposedly. right...

Oh but we don't need the NAACP because racism no longer exists, right? :)

·
Registered
34,218 Posts
I agree that it's wrong. But I issue the following challenge to the kids in that high school and every other one with a "racial mix": Stop "segregating yourselves" in the fucking cafeteria day in and day out! (Ditto many colleges). And fuck this white church/black church divide (primarily a Baptist thing, as that's what most black Christians are in the U.S.). The other race's Jesus is fake or something? And back to the topic heading, how many proms aren't kinda "segregated within" in reality. You want to fight this crap? Fine, but do it for real!

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
There isn't any way to rationalize what's going on. This is blatant racism, there is no way around it. What are they gaining from having a white-only prom?

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
Well, ptkten, they get to listen to black music without black people around. I mean gee, that sounds like a good deal to me. Note the sarcasm...

White-prom track list:
1. Air Force Ones- Nelly St. Lunatics
2. Rock Your Body- Justin Timberlake
3. Beautiful- Snoop Dogg, Pharrel and Charlie Wilson
4. I Know What You Want- Busta Rhymes, Flipmode Squad and Mariah Carey
5. Hell Yeah- Ginuwine f. Baby 'Birdman' Williams

Am I the only one smelling the irony?

Reactions: Rae Q.

·
NeverWoz
27,565 Posts
This is really pathetic. I cant say how much I'd LOVE to go down to Georgia and beat the shit out of those racists. Hoepfully this'll stop soon.(Who am I kidding, this shit will go on forever)

1 - 20 of 148 Posts