Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
54,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's nae room at the inn for gay southerners
By Alan Hamilton

A GAY couple from the South have fallen under the dark shadow of Calvin and Knox that still looms over the sterner reaches of the Presbyterian North.

Stephen Nock, 34, and his male partner, from London, had been looking forward to a four-day walking holiday in Wester Ross, Scotland, until the owner of the Cromasaig guest house in Kinlochewe rejected their request to book his double room because their relationship was “unnatural”.

The failed booking developed into an exchange of angry e-mails between Mr Nock and Tom Forrest, the owner of the guest house, which enjoys a recommendation and a three-star rating from VisitScotland, the former Scottish Tourist Board.

Instead of a polite confirmation of his booking, Mr Nock received an e-mail explaining that two gents sharing could book only a twin room. Mr Nock was moved to threaten a complaint to the tourist authorities when the guesthouse informed him: “We do not have a problem with your personal sexual deviation, that is up to you. You are welcome to our twin room if you wish, but we will not condone your perversion.”

Incensed, Mr Nock replied, suggesting that the proprietor was bigoted and homophobic.

Mr Forrest countered: “Bigot? No. Respect for our other guests. Homophobic? No. I have no hatred or fear of poofs, etc — I just do not approve of unnatural acts being performed in my home.”

Mr Nock, a campaigns officer with Voluntary Service Overseas who has lived with his partner for five years, was surprised and stung by Mr Forrest’s stance. He has asked VisitScotland to remove the guesthouse from its list of recommended accommodation.

“My partner and I have never encountered anything like that before from any establishment. It really depressed me. There’s still so much prejudice. I would hate for other couples to approach his B&B and get the same abuse.”

VisitScotland has asked Cromasaig not to discriminate against future guests on the basis of sexual orientation but Mr Forrest, who has run the establishment for 11 years, refuses to be told which guests to accept, and has posted a notice on his website saying his double room will be let only to heterosexual couples or single guests.

“I stand by exactly what I said,” Mr Forrest said. “I do not go along with this word ‘gay’. They are not happy in that situation. I called them poofs and will continue to call them that.”

Mr Forrest, who admits to having received more than 80 abusive e-mails from “poof organisations”, said: “We run a respectable B&B and we have families coming to stay. I have had bent people to stay but they have had a twin room and respect our wishes.”

Barbara Clark, of VisitScotland, said that an investigation was under way. “We are looking into the incident, but are confident this kind of appalling attitude is not mirrored across the vast proportion of Scotland.”

·
Registered
17,733 Posts
Its a little silly, I mean Ive had sex quite successfully in a single bed, I think this guy was generally homophobic and kicking up a fuss for nothing. He knew when he said that he wouldnt let them ahve a double bed, it woudl piss them off.

·
Premium Member
27,114 Posts
spiceboy said:
Instead of a polite confirmation of his booking, Mr Nock received an e-mail explaining that two gents sharing could book only a twin room.
Of course, the concept of pushing two twins together is so unlikely :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
17,733 Posts
Ium all for that, who gets to be Godfather...

·
Enjoying married life.
19,641 Posts
call me wrong, but in my current state of single hood i feel none too sad for gay couples, now if some HOT black single lesbians have any problems call me first i sure i will be of assistance! :lick: :lick: :tape:

·
Worshipping POP ICON GODDESSES
7,714 Posts
oh I love that phrase - "sexual deviation"....

"perversion" and "Unnatural" are up there with the best of them as well.

Mr Forrest also states that he has "no fear or hatred of poofs"...he sounds charming.

I feel like booking a room immediately.....

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't see a problem.
If I were renting out my house, I'd do the same thing... :tape:

*Just to be pre-emptive, if you don't agree with something, accepting it is one thing, but conceding to go against your belief is another. If it was a public hotel, then its not acceptable, but if this is someone's house they turned into a guest-house, then I think its completely acceptable.*

(Prepares to be bashed)

·
Momomental
8,576 Posts
mmcdonald said:

*Just to be pre-emptive, if you don't agree with something, accepting it is one thing, but conceding to go against your belief is another. If it was a public hotel, then its not acceptable, but if this is someone's house they turned into a guest-house, then I think its completely acceptable.*

(Prepares to be bashed)
But if he's running a business, then it's a business and subject to the same rules as any other, regardless of where the actual physical residence is. Seems to be the same old "discrimination" to me. I don't know what kind of laws Scotland has against discrimination but this seems to be pretty clear to me.

My opinion is: gay or straight, everyone should have equal rights.

And mmcdonald, you definitely have the right to your opinion, this is in no way meant to bash you in the slightest. :)

·
Registered
10,372 Posts

I mean I think its debatable. But from what I understand, owners do have the right to refuse patrons according to their discretion. It just can't be because of race, sex, ethnicity or national origin.

Sexual orientation, because their are so many different views on it, is not included in that.

So legally, (at least here) he did nothing wrong.

·
47,037 Posts
It depends on what state you live in, mmc. Legally, in many states in the US, he would be shut down for this. You can't have a business open for the public if you're going to turn people away for such a reason.

And I'm really sorry to hear you have a problem with gay people. I think that's something you need to work on.

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Dr. Scotso said:
It depends on what state you live in, mmc. Legally, in many states in the US, he would be shut down for this. You can't have a business open for the public if you're going to turn people away for such a reason.

And I'm really sorry to hear you have a problem with gay people. I think that's something you need to work on.
dont get me wrong, I don't have a problem with homosexual people at all. I really don't.
And I mean yeah it is wrong, I'm just coming from a Catholic perspective.
Part of me wants to say you know, that because its unholy, its wrong blah blah blah
Part of me agrees with you all.

I will tell you I have a problem with gay people. But that doesn't mean they have to be homosexual....thats a whole different topic though.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
7,996 Posts
I agree in a way too, but only insomuch that if I own my own business and I don't want someone staying there, I should have a right to turn them away. However, to turn someone away for being gay is :retard:.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
7,996 Posts
mmcdonald said:

(Prepares to be bashed)
I wouldn't want to stay in a bigot's house anyway. Thanks.

·
7,714 Posts
Once again the problem is hang-ups about sex...and as you say mmcdonald it is a "Cathlolic perspective" and "wrong".

I mean it is a great assumption to simply assume that everyone is going to be fucking their brains out anyway.

So....if the couple want to rent the room they have to pretend they are mates and are going to sleep in twin beds instead of a double. How childish...lets all play pretend.

My advice...get the twin beds push them together. Then fuck on the floor and in the shower...take the polaroids and leave them at reception when you leave.

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Rtael said:
I wouldn't want to stay in a bigot's house anyway. Thanks.
I don't really think its appropriate to call someone's views bigotry.
Especially in this context.
I definately understand homosexuals frustrations. But Leviticus says that it is an abomination. And well, I try my best to follow what Leviticus, as all of the bible, says. Obviously it has some things in there that I don't do that I should, and some things I don't do that I shouldn't, but I think that the act itself is wrong, however that says nothing about the people.

Personally now that I think about it some more, I would let them stay just because I know they would be hurt. 50 years ago, I wouldn't be able to stay at some inns either. Obviously I wasn't around then, and there are differences, but the feeling would still be the same. One that I would not want to inflict.

·
7,714 Posts
mmcdonald said:
I don't really think its appropriate to call someone's views bigotry.
Especially in this context.
I definately understand homosexuals frustrations. But Leviticus says that it is an abomination. And well, I try my best to follow what Leviticus, as all of the bible, says. Obviously it has some things in there that I don't do that I should, and some things I don't do that I shouldn't, but I think that the act itself is wrong, however that says nothing about the people.
Again...you are concentrating on the sex aspect....a mistake that many make.

If you want to define yourself by what is written the the bible then that is fine..but defining others by it is fraught with inaccuracies.

The point of view displayed by Mr Forrest is indeed bigotry....intolereance/narrow mindedness beyond reason...it is bigotry in the purest sense.

He thinks it is ok to refer to these men as "poofs" or "deviants" and feels it is his right to denounce them as people. Such an olympian attitude...combined with ignorance and blind faith is incredibly dangerous.

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
bionic71 said:
Once again the problem is hang-ups about sex...and as you say mmcdonald it is a "Cathlolic perspective" and "wrong".

I mean it is a great assumption to simply assume that everyone is going to be fucking their brains out anyway.

So....if the couple want to rent the room they have to pretend they are mates and are going to sleep in twin beds instead of a double. How childish...lets all play pretend.

My advice...get the twin beds push them together. Then fuck on the floor and in the shower...take the polaroids and leave them at reception when you leave.
I know everyone has their opinions, but you know I kind of take that as a slap in the face.

Its a huge problem because both sides have issues with each other and cant coexist.

While its really not that serious. Just a difference in opinion. I mean I'm not saying I go out of my way and tell people "oh what your doing is wrong."

Last Saturday, I got mad drunk and hooked up with some girl.
THAT was wrong too. Just as wrong as if two does pounded each other. There is no difference. Adultury is a league in its own, but thats not relevant here.

So what I'm saying is...well I don't know what I'm saying, but either way we all just need to get along and be friends :p

1 - 20 of 45 Posts