Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
apparently there is going to be an exhibition in winston-salem between gauff and barty

i am not a fan of the exhibition either as a player or a fan and doubly so for players who are still active on tour and quadruply for players starting the us open main draw in a few days

i feel players need to be entering a major (especially the us open) in- to use rocky imagery- clubber lang mode and not rocky v thunderlips mode

exhibitions afford players a chance to rationalize to themselves win/lose and this can instill a fatal mindset too close to a very serious and important portion of the yearly calendar

the hit and giggles and goofing with each other and the crowd is the antithesis to the mentality these players need to have going into new york

i am sure many will poo poo this and say it is just for fun but do any of you remember an exhibition sampras and federer had years ago (soon after pete retired?)and federer was riding high- sampras cleaned his clock (but but but it’s just an exhibition) and federer was in the dumps for that whole year (it definitely played some mind games with him)

anyways i was just wondering what other fans of the sport think about exhibitions in general and/or especially right before the is open

edited for name spelling

·
Registered
30 Posts
Re: goff v barty exo

Yes! Yes! Yes! to the Rocky reference!

I won't psychologize the players' mindsets, but I'll chime in 'Who cares?' What a publicity stunt and joke. Just as bad as that Tiger-Phil Death Match that nobody watched.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
Re: goff v barty exo

Gauff :lol:

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
Exho forum, reported.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
It's great for Coco, not many new pros get to play a current Wimbledon champion. It's a privilege which she should enjoy :yeah: I also think it's great for the fans to be able to see someone who has just won Wimbledon and someone, who, perhaps is the future of US tennis :D
I've never been a fan of exhibitions but I'd love to see this match :)

·
Registered
7,561 Posts
It's great for Coco, not many new pros get to play a current Wimbledon champion. It's a privilege which she should enjoy :yeah: I also think it's great for the fans to be able to see someone who has just won Wimbledon and someone, who, perhaps is the future of US tennis :D
:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
You are way confused there. Although in your defense, if say you were not watching tennis for the last 3 months and someone told you Barty and Halep won Roland Garros and Wimbledon, well you would absolutely think it was Barty who won the slam in London and Halep the one in Paris, not the other way around. But that is the beauty of women's tennis. What you think will happen and what actually happens are not very good bedfellows here.

·
Registered
7,561 Posts
1 - 20 of 44 Posts