Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who do you think is currently the better player. i've only seen gasquet play a couple of times and that was at the classic before the oz open and i have to say her looked like a good player. i've only seen nadal play twice and i didn't think he looked quite as good as gasquet (i saw nadal in rome and hamburg on tv) but he has had better wins imo (although i haven't followed either player very closely so if i'm wrong correct me). nadal did seem to step up the aggression and his quality of play at the times where he wanted to get a break and when he was behind in a game he fought it out so he seems mentally tough. i'm just wondering who do you think is the better player and why?

also could someone please tell me a bit more about how they've gone this year?

·
Tart with a Heart
15,747 Posts
Gasquet just upped his level a little bit sooner than Nadal, I think. I reckon Nadal will be more successful in the short term, but Gasquet has more of an all-court game. I'll go on a limb and say Nadal will win the French in 2005. ;)

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
Nadal right now is better than Gasquet.Nadal's body is ready for the pro,and also he's very strong mentally but i think his game is quite monotone,i mean he's the typical spaniard who hits hard from the baseline and rarely can win a tourney out of the red clay.
gasquet cant beat a high ranked player right now (as nadal does),his body and his tennis have lots to improve,but he's more complete technically,his game is brilliant,he can play all shots,he can play from the baseline,can volley,can slice the ball,can play topspin,he can do whatever he wants but sometimes it's more difficult when u r so talented! i'm not sure gasquet will ever be as consistent as Nadal already is.So i would say...nadal will be a top 10 for sure,maybe a new Moya or a new Ferrero-Gasquet i dunno what he'll become,maybe the n.1 in the world or either the n.30!

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
from the way things have been said it sounds like gasquets game is a lot like federer's.

·
Registered
34,273 Posts
Lindsayfan said:
Nadal right now is better than Gasquet.Nadal's body is ready for the pro,and also he's very strong mentally but i think his game is quite monotone,i mean he's the typical spaniard who hits hard from the baseline and rarely can win a tourney out of the red clay.
gasquet cant beat a high ranked player right now (as nadal does),his body and his tennis have lots to improve,but he's more complete technically,his game is brilliant,he can play all shots,he can play from the baseline,can volley,can slice the ball,can play topspin,he can do whatever he wants but sometimes it's more difficult when u r so talented! i'm not sure gasquet will ever be as consistent as Nadal already is.So i would say...nadal will be a top 10 for sure,maybe a new Moya or a new Ferrero-Gasquet i dunno what he'll become,maybe the n.1 in the world or either the n.30!
Rarely can win a tourney out ¡of the red clay???
You're talking about last year Wimby semifinalist where he lost against the future champion and who was older, Rafa was 15/16 them

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
c'mon u cant compare junior tourneys with pro!also nalbandian made final at wimby,but no one will convince me that he can repeat this success or that he's a grass court player!

·
Registered
34,273 Posts
and you won't convince me of the other thing, last years Spanish players have shown they can play well in almost all kind of surfaces, Moya former USO semi, AO finalist, Cincinatti winner, ATP cahmpionship finalist. Add Corretja wining ATP championships, Lyon, Ferrero wins at Dubai and Hong Kong, etc.
So Nadal is only 16 and you're already clasifying him, give him more credit;)

·
Registered
34,273 Posts
MrsTheBoiledEgg said:
so who of the two are gonna win RG this year?
Lol Ferrero will :p
None it's too early, but I tell you what I said to your husband, you should try to have a little tennis champion eggy and become rich

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
propi :eek:

I suspect if we have a champion eggy you will claim it was your idea and request a commission fee from all prize money :p

·
Registered
34,273 Posts
MrsTheBoiledEgg said:
propi :eek:

I suspect if we have a champion eggy you will claim it was your idea and request a commission fee from all prize money :p
:eek:
Your words are offending me, how you dare to think that way of this pure, young and innocent creature:eek:
*goes away from the room and shouts
F*CKING SH*T; CAUGHT BY A KINDER SURPRISE; IT'S SO HUMILLATING*
:p

·
Registered
34,273 Posts
Lindsayfan said:
Ferrero is gonna win RG this year! Nadal in 2 years! ;)
OK:bounce:
Now we can agree a French GS champion on USO :p

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
Okay, as for Nadal's results on all surfaces. It is WAY to early to say that he'll never do anything off of clay. If you would so much as check his results in the challengers, you would see that he did well on *all* surfaces in those tournaments. He's made finals not only on clay, but also on hard and carpet. He's made finals on every surface he's played on, if memory serves. The only record I have found of him on grass, is his junior Wimby semifinal.

Now, challengers and juniors do not always translate to the pros, granted. But seeing as they *only* tournaments he has played so far have been on CLAY, then of course his only results are going to be on clay so far. Jesus :rolleyes:

Do people see "ESP" in brackets and automatically assume these things? Shit, it's not that hard to look it up.

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
As for the "who is better" debate; Nadal is doing better at this moment, but that doesn't mean anything. Gasquet was doing better at this time last year. We'll see how Nadal is doing once he's a little more seasoned. He might be able to get into more Masters Series this year, but his ranking is quite a bit higher than Gasquet's at the moment. I believe that in part the fact he's gotten less WC's and thus had to qualify for both the masters series that he has played, has contributed to that fact. If Gasquet had played more qualies, 10 or 15 points here and there would make a big difference.

·
Registered
34,273 Posts
Rebecca said:
Okay, as for Nadal's results on all surfaces. It is WAY to early to say that he'll never do anything off of clay. If you would so much as check his results in the challengers, you would see that he did well on *all* surfaces in those tournaments. He's made finals not only on clay, but also on hard and carpet. He's made finals on every surface he's played on, if memory serves. The only record I have found of him on grass, is his junior Wimby semifinal.

Now, challengers and juniors do not always translate to the pros, granted. But seeing as they *only* tournaments he has played so far have been on CLAY, then of course his only results are going to be on clay so far. Jesus :rolleyes:

Do people see "ESP" in brackets and automatically assume these things? Shit, it's not that hard to look it up.
:worship:
As usual Becca, you're great, almost perfect:p
:worship:
Spanish cal feel safe as you're here to defend their careers.

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
Rebecca said:
Agree with you 100% ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts