Tennis Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My thread about tennis expert made me interested in stupid remarks made by commentators.

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,309 Posts
Joanne Russell - (former) NBC Commentator used to have tons of quotables.

From comments on Arantxa's ballholder - "so she doesn't get clay up in her panties", to rackets of days gone past - "she used Jack Kramer on court".

Ah....tons of fun.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
thinking that bangkok is a place in japan really beats everything :eek:

·
Banned
3,628 Posts
I don't remember which expert said this at the US Open 99 about Serena: "I don't think she is ready to win a major." :lol: And, she went and won the USO. I think it's Chris in an interview during a match. I am not sure.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Whenever commentators say that "tennis audiences are a very knowledgeable bunch." If only they could sit amongst the masses and listen to the vast amounts of codswallop that amble off the tongues of the plebiscites. We're bad, but not as bad as the commentators themselves. ;)

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
It was Evert who said that and Tracy Austin agreed saying, in addition, that she didn't think Serena was mentally able to win against Martina and Serena won in straight sets.

·
Registered
9,981 Posts
"It's an ace!"said by a local(Hong Kong) tennis commentators. While Monica served a big wide serve to Martina but Martina easily returned it, i wonder if he knows what an ace is!

·
Banned
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ferrero said:
"It's an ace!"said by a local(Hong Kong) tennis commentators. While Monica served a big wide serve to Martina but Martina easily returned it, i wonder if he knows what an ace is!
That's same here. They don't know the difference between an ace and an almost ace.
Some Japanese commentators (not former tennis players of course) really often call a fault an out.

·
Miss Verstand
16,531 Posts
belgian commentator karl vannieuwkerke once called clijsters: kim kong

·
Registered
9,981 Posts
gogomaggie said:
That's same here. They don't know the difference between an ace and an almost ace.
Some Japanese commentators (not former tennis players of course) really often call a fault an out.
I can't think of anything more stupid than that.:rolleyes: They also called a forehand with great angle a 'winner' although it got returned.

·
Registered
13,220 Posts
Yugoslavian commentator during Wimbledon this year:
"Baltacha is a daughter of a famous soccer player whose surname was Baltacha." :rolleyes:
"The ball goes over the net many times in those rallies."
"It turned out Dokić has no talent after all."

And many years ago, after Mary Pierce had just lost:
"Bye, Mary, your tears won't help you."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts