Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
20,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kournikova Everywhere at U.S. Open Except on Court

By Steve Keating

NEW YORK (Reuters) - She can be seen pouting out from magazine stands, including one cover that salaciously teases "In Bed with Anna."

She has been spotted this week throwing out the ceremonial first pitch at a New York Yankees game, doing the late night talk show circuit and walking the red carpet at an MTV awards party.

To the delight of many testosterone charged Kournikova addicts, the seductive Russian has even taken on the role of "entertainment reporter" for an American television network at this year's final grand slam.

In fact, tennis diva Anna Kournikova has been spotted nearly everywhere in New York this week except the one place you would expect to find her -- on court at the U.S. Open with a racket in her hand.

While the injured Kournikova has not given up the idea of returning to the courts to end one of the sporting world's most celebrated winless streaks, her absence at Flushing Meadows has left a gaping hole.

With the headline hogging Williams sisters also absent with injuries, the U.S. Open this year has provided fertile ground for the newest, hottest tennis blonde to take root.

In a "Pop Idol" type search, the waif-like Slovak Daniela Hantuchova, the "American Anna" Ashley Harkleroad and the latest Russian "Siberian Siren" Maria Sharapova have all been trotted out in an attempt to fill the glamour void left by Kournikova.

But finding the next Kournikova is proving to be a tougher task than unearthing the next Pete Sampras.

The media, agents, marketing experts and to a certain extent the WTA, have all pushed, promoted and prodded their idea of the next tennis diva on to Anna's throne with limited success.

ONE KOURNIKOVA

It seems, for now, there is only one Kournikova.

"I think she was great for the game," said 1998 Open champion Lindsay Davenport. "I'd never seen anyone sell out first-round matches in tournaments but Anna.

"The amount of fans she alone would bring in was huge.

"But we've gone through years and years of players being injured, she's another one.

"I have no idea if she plans on playing again or coming back. I think she's been battling a lot of injuries the last couple of years."

Around Flushing Meadows there was no question who was going to be missed more -- Sampras or Kournikova.

Although Sampras retired on Monday with 14 grand slam wins and 64 singles titles on his resume and Kournikova has yet to claim her first trophy in eight years as a professional, it was the Russian pin-up a group of New York fire-fighters said they were missing most.

But not many have embraced Kournikova's new role as reporter, the New York Post summing up her performance in a single headline, "Anna's TV gig makes her tennis look good."

For her new assignment Kournikova, microphone in hand, prowled the players lounge in a micro-mini, red bra and fur-trimmed boots giving viewers an insight at what goes on.

"It's her first time on TV and she's working hard," said USA Network spokesman Tom Caraccioli, when asked about Kournikova's performance.

"She is generating loads of excitement around the grounds, it's rock star like proportions."

08/29/03 15:36 ET

Copyright 2003 Reuters Limited.

·
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!
35,887 Posts
um, :unsure: if you want to see Anna shouldn't you buy a first round ticket because the likely hood is great that she won't be there for round two or three? :confused:

If you are successful, wouldn't your fans tend to buy the later round tickets cause they know you will be there and the match will mean more?

·
Registered
10,975 Posts
blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah

·
Registered
20,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kart said:
It's hardly an accusation.
The sisters are deserving of all the attention they get because they are winners on the court (Venus has 29 singles titles, Serena has 23 singles titles). I don't mean to sound harsh, but Anna is a loser on the court (0 singles titles and only 4 finals in a caerre that lmost spans 10 years) and if bviously ying onlooks to get attention becasue Lord knows she deserves no attention for what she does (or doesn't do) on the court.

·
Premium Member
26,690 Posts
lizchris said:
The sisters are deserving of all the attention they get because they are winners on the court (Venus has 29 singles titles, Serena has 23 singles titles). I don't mean to sound harsh, but Anna is a loser on the court (0 singles titles and only 4 finals in a caerre that lmost spans 10 years) and if bviously ying onlooks to get attention becasue Lord knows she deserves no attention for what she does (or doesn't do) on the court.
LOL - I'd hate to see you being harsh ;).

Anyway the Williams sisters do hog the headlines. They're the best players in the world. Of course, it's not their fault that they win everything or that people choose to write about them.

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
48,281 Posts
lizchris said:
I find it hard to call a former top 10 player a 'loser'.

·
Registered
20,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Seles said:
I find it hard to call a former top 10 player a 'loser'.
I said a loser on the court, not a loser in life.

BTW, I bet when she was a top ten player, she was the only won without a singles title. At least everyone in the top ten has at lesat one singles title.

Sorry if I am being harsh, but the truth always hurts.

·
Banned
1,827 Posts
lizchris said:
I said a loser on the court, not a loser in life.

BTW, I bet when she was a top ten player, she was the only won without a singles title. At least everyone in the top ten has at lesat one singles title.

Sorry if I am being harsh, but the truth always hurts.
....just like the TRUTH that Anna is MORE popular than ya faves eve though she hasn't won a single title seems to be hurting you so much ? ;)

·
Registered
20,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Diya said:
....just like the TRUTH that Anna is MORE popular than ya faves eve though she hasn't won a single title seems to be hurting you so much ? ;)
I know Anna is more popular than Venus and Serena, but popularity doesn't make for a sucessful career. It also doesn't make for the fact that while Anna was covering a party for the MTV VMA's, Venus and Serena were actually AT the party and invited to the awards as presenters (the second time for them). If memory serves me correctly, Anna has never been invited to the awards to be a presenter, though she is more popluar than the sisters.

·
Registered
20,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Seles said:
Too bad not even the Sisters could salvage the VMA's - the worst ever. A real snoozer.
Do you know what the ratings were? Because the 1999 Awards, when Chris Rock also hosted, were the highest rated ever.

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
48,281 Posts
alleycat said:
The sisters were not invited there to save the Awards; They were invited because they were not playing in the US Open.
I didn't say they were invited to "save" the awards. I said even they couldn't save them. Meaning, no matter how much star power they have, the awards sucked. It was not a slam on the sisters, so don't get so put-off about it.

Smile, it's not that harsh of a world we live in.

·
Registered
20,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
alleycat said:
The sisters were not invited there to save the Awards; They were invited because they were not playing in the US Open.
You should direct this to Seles, not me. I know the sisters were invited because they weren't playing the Open.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.