Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Funny how people are trashing Amelie for losing her match to the tours best player, while playing w/the wieght of a country on her shoulders, but giving Conchita, a free pass to play such a crappy ass lame match.

Conchi is in the best shape of her career, and speaks of wanting to return to the top ten, yet went into her macth looking like she was lost, and had no game plan. Get a grip Conchita, you wouldn't be top ten if the tour was played on clay for eight months.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
DA FOREHAND said:
Funny how people are trashing Amelie for losing her match to the tours best player, while playing w/the wieght of a country on her shoulders, but giving Conchita, a free pass to play such a crappy ass lame match.

Conchi is in the best shape of her career, and speaks of wanting to return to the top ten, yet went into her macth looking like she was lost, and had no game plan. Get a grip Conchita, you wouldn't be top ten if the tour was played on clay for eight months.
Yeah but Martinez ALWAYS looks like.The thing Martinez knows best is tanking and pouting during matches :rolleyes: You would think a grown woman and a more than experienced PRO would'nt behave like that....When is she going to retire. :confused:

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not calling for her retirement, but at least have the decency to relegate yourself to doubles like Natasha! (kidding)

But seriously you'd think a player w/her skill and experience would know how to mix up her junk w/aggressiveness. She has the skill and game that could really muck up most of these players on clay.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
conchita tried harder yesterday then she did by example did at the aussie open 95 semi or french open 96 semi :eek:

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
Realmente no tengo ni puta idea de inglés, xo x lo q he entendido no me hace ninguna gracia. Q envidiosos. Si con 31 años ha llegado a jugar unos cuartos y estar la 17 del mundo, y aún así keréis q se retire, sois realmente patéticos

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ummm yeah what she said.

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
Well, to be honest, Conchi, for me, is an afterthought. *shrug* She's in her post-twilight years as far as I'm concerned. I mean, even ASV has called it a day. I'm not bashing Conchi at all but Nav, Chris and Steffi have peaced out. Her game was great but I kinda feel like the time has passed her by. When she was playing Lindsay and I heard her huffing and puffing and her wretched scream... I thought... how does she do it for all these years! :eek: It's kinda like if Serena was playing 13 years from now... I mean... c'mon!

Monica and Jenny were pretty young when they started but in the next few years they'll be peaced out as well. :sad:

·
Banned
1,735 Posts
Wasn't it Pam who said that Conchi screwed up her preparation time by getting to the court 15 minutes late and rushing and pouting like it was somebody's else's fault?

I guess she thought that the rain would cause more of a delay than it did. She should have known better.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Conchita is over 30, and made the 4th rd. That's pretty darn good. She definately isn't in the best shape of her career. Amelie on the other hand, is ranked in the top ten, and is in the best shape of her career having come off a victory over Serena Williams. Amelie came in as a favorite, Conchita did not. There's your difference.

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like you're making excuses for why Conchita was ill prepared and obviously brought the wrong game plan into her match. What did she think she was playing Coetzer?

How old was Steffi when she won the French, beating Lindsay/Monica/Hingis? I know Conchita has no business being mentioned in the same breath as Steffi, but when you bring age into the equation.

·
Banned
11,012 Posts
she started the match so well

she just needs a bit of fire in her belly....she looks like she cant be assed half the time

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
2,109 Posts
I think its just higher expectations ...plus the fact that she won last time her and Serena played. No offense but no one really expects anything from Conchita.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
7,996 Posts
Lol....god, the woman is as old as dirt, and has no where near the power of the power players today yet she's still out there playing all the time, and she is currently back into the top 20, after falling out of the top 50, I believe, last year.....If she didn't care why would she still be playing? My god it's pretty fucking ignorant for you to be calling for the retirement of a player who just made the Quarter Finals of a grand slam!

Reactions: supercmfan

·
***** Emeritus
42,263 Posts
There's a difference between number 5-6 in the world and number 15-25 (dunno exactly). I actually was a bit disappointed with Chanda's play (well not really cause Justine's my fav player, but you know what I mean ;))

·
Banned
1,154 Posts
conchitamagica said:
Realmente no tengo ni puta idea de inglés, xo x lo q he entendido no me hace ninguna gracia. Q envidiosos. Si con 31 años ha llegado a jugar unos cuartos y estar la 17 del mundo, y aún así keréis q se retire, sois realmente patéticos

no hagas ni caso conchitamágica, recuerda que las perlas no estan hechas para los mldts-crds-bstrdosssssssssssssss :devil:

CONCHITA ETERNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :bounce:

·
Registered
264 Posts
DA FOREHAND said:

Are you talking about Conchita getting a free pass to play such a crappy
ass lame match. What you expect people to say about that. She was
going to lose that match and it was obvious before the clash.
But you also foregot to note that this board was not accessible when
Venus lost and no body gave about damn what happens to Capriati's
defeat. There were so many things that happened during this french
open and people don't care to talk about them, let alone Clijsters
being bargelled and lucky to escape defeat in hands of Maleeva.

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes in tennis years she's as old as dirt, but she stated that she'd like to make a run at the top ten. Her performance didn't come close to legitimizing her stated objective. This was a "grand" oppurtunity for her to make a statement on the court, and she failed to make a mark.

It would have been nice to have seen an ounce of confidence, and perhaps some determination.

Of the top seven players on the tour, Kim seems to be the least intimidating.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
for the last time when conchita was "at her prime" she didn't do better in grand slams against the toppplayers except for wimbledon 94 and at the french 95 (or maybe that's how you can look at it too since she should have lost 6:3 6:2 of course)

so nothing changed :eek:

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Rtael said:
Lol....god, the woman is as old as dirt, and has no where near the power of the power players today yet she's still out there playing all the time, and she is currently back into the top 20, after falling out of the top 50, I believe, last year.....If she didn't care why would she still be playing? My god it's pretty fucking ignorant for you to be calling for the retirement of a player who just made the Quarter Finals of a grand slam!
HMMM I hear a little whining noise...must be a Martinez fan."If she didn't care why would she still be playing?"HMMM....well its' not like she can get by on her looks. :p

·
Sabatini lover Forever
15,213 Posts
That´s her game... its was enough to beat Perebinis, Gagliardi,Pisnik and a retired Davenport.
Once she gets and faces the real contenders for the big events she will lose.

I don´t think she played that bad, she was trying to be the agressor and hitting some good shots.. buts that game of hers is not enough in order to beat the top players.

Reactions: CanIGetAWhat
1 - 20 of 45 Posts