Tennis Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CARSON, Calif. (AP) - Ashley Harkleroad took another step in her comeback with a 6-3, 6-2 victory Monday over Shinobu Asagoe in the opening round of the JPMorgan Chase Open.

Harkleroad is trying to recapture her form after a four-month layoff caused by a torn ligament in her right elbow. The 19-year-old player dropped out of the top 100 in the rankings.

She lost her first two service games and fell behind 3-0 before winning eight games in a row to take control of the match.

"It took me a while to get a feel for the match, and then I started to play well and did the things I needed to do," Harkleroad said. "My game is coming together. I was aggressive when I needed to be."

She advanced to a second-round meeting Tuesday night with second-seeded Venus Williams.

No. 11 Francesca Schiavone, the highest seeded player in action on the opening day of the $585,000 tournament, moved into the second round with a 6-0, 6-3 win over Shenay Perry. But Akiko Morigami beat No. 12 Silvia Farina-Elia 6-2, 6-4, and Anca Barna defeated No. 13 Fabiola Zuluaga 6-1, 6-1.

Sixteen-year-old Jessica Kirkland, ranked 284th on the WTA Tour, beat 56th-ranked Tathiana Garbin 6-1, 6-3.

Another qualifier, 227th-ranked Lilia Osterloh, beat 45th-ranked Saori Obata, 7-5, 7-5. Anne Kremer, who lost in the final round of qualifying but got into the main draw when Maria Elena Camerin withdrew, capitalized on that break with a 6-3, 5-7, 6-0 win over Laura Granville.

Nathalie Dechy, Tina Pisnik, Marion Bartoli and Jelena Kostanic also advanced.

·
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!
35,894 Posts
um who wrote this article? :scratch: Ashley played in April, May, June and now July? I have no doubt that she's been suffering from an ailment but she hasn't had a four month layoff. :confused:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts