Tennis Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must say that I know how you guys feel. As an Arantxa fan, Arantxa has also had her share of losing in Grand slam finals. Her record was 4-8 overall. After her 1994 U.S. Open win it took her 4 years until she won another grand slam. Not to mention losing heartbreaking finals along the way (95 Wimbledon final, 7-5 in the 3rd and 96 French Open final 10-8 in the 3rd with losing to Steffi Graf 4 straight times in Grand slam finals from 95-96!). Anyway what I'm trying to say was that after Arantxa lost the 96 Wimbledon final I kept saying to myself, "Why can't arantxa win anymore?" And I was just devastated. But what I tried to do was to never lose faith, I knew Arantxa could win another one someday and what do you know she surprised everyone and took the 98 French Open title. Why I still think Martina will win a GS is because IMO she belongs in that list of category. Arantxa did it in 98, Jana did it as well, not to mention Steffi's 99 FO win and Monica's 96 AO win, everyone counted them out but they showed everyone that they can win again. I certainly will be seeing Martina's name in that category soon as well. :)

So I'm telling you to never lose faith in you favorite player. I didn't like Martina before but now I have gained some favortism torwards her. She has grown into a classy mature young lady, and IMO she was very brave in her speeches in the 99 French Open final not to mention at this years Australian Open (sort of reminded me of Arantxa's speech at the 96 French Open). Anways it might be weird of me trying to talk to you guys, lord knows I was mad when Martina beat Arantxa so many times in their careers (and also this years dubs final) but I STILL think that Martina can win another grand slam. and hopefully you guys know that too. GOOD LUCK MARTINA FOR THE REST OF THE YEAR AND HOPE SHE WINS ANOTHER BIG ONE! She certainly deserves it now. :)

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
30,466 Posts
Thanks Julian. It's good to know there are people who understand how we feel.

BTW sorry about the doubles. Better luck next time. I think Arantxa and Daniela make a good team, as does Arantxa and Martina Navratilova.

·
Banned
692 Posts
OF COURSE MARTY WILL WIN ANTOHER WIN SHES THAT KIND OF PLAYER!!! SHES STILL YOUNG, SHES AT THE TOP OF HER PREFORMANCE (AND I DEAR NOT SAY PEAK) SHES GOT ANOTHER 5 OR 10 THERE STILL

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
That's so kind of you Julian!!!! It is highly appreciated.:angel:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Martina Fans!
I know how you all feel today. As a Lindsay fan her losses at Wimbleon(00) and US Open (00) were had to take and as a Jana Novotna fan her losses in 1993 and 1997 were hard to take. :sad:

·
30,466 Posts
Thanks LTF. So many fans of other players have been really nice and sympathetic toward us! We appreciate it!

Lindsay's GS losses upset me also. I was cheering for her all the way!! Hope she has a speedy recovery. I miss her!

·
Registered
663 Posts
*Martina_fan* said:
Thanks LTF. So many fans of other players have been really nice and sympathetic toward us! We appreciate it!

Lindsay's GS losses upset me also. I was cheering for her all the way!! Hope she has a speedy recovery. I miss her!
Thanks *martina_fan* those words mean a lot to Lindsay fans!

·
Registered
34,273 Posts
OK, everybody is trying to encourage Marti's fans, so I'll do the same because she's my non-Spanish favourite player.
Conchi Mtez has lost her last two Gs Finals and it was horrible for me, but I keep on counting on her for a second GS.
Some reasons to explain why Martina will win a lot of GS in next years:
- She's the best by far. Coming from a long time without playing tennis she won Sidney, beating Kim and made AO final beating Seles.
- She knows she can do it again. Actually she knows it and she thinks it is an order to her, so it will be her main target. That's why she will be the most dangerous player in RG.
- Finally: she is one of the only players now whose game is smart and clever, she is not tall and cannot hit the ball as hard as WS, Lindsay, etc. She is going to show that strengh is not all in tennis, you must be very clever to be a great tennis players, and in that she's the best by very, very far.
Good luck Martina and win in tokio
:hearts:

·
30,466 Posts
Your welcome LTF. Lindsay is one of my fav players. I was hoping i could see her at the adidas again this year, but sadly no. :sad: . I think Lindsay is a beautiful person, who has had great success in tennis so far, and i'm sure much more success to come. To sum this up, in the words of Martina:

"... she's (Lindsay) a great person, she's a great player and i have big respect for her and for her achievements too. I think she's got a great game and she's improved herself a lot in the past and if i lose to Lindsay, it's not the same maybe if i would lose to somebody else."

Go Martina! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
thanks Propi, hope many more posters would be like you.:angel: :bounce: :kiss:

·
Registered
34,273 Posts
Actually I'm waiting to see Marti kicking Williams' asses several times, that's why I'm not a gentleman at all:p

·
Registered
663 Posts
Thanks for your kind words!

Martina_Fan thanks sooo much about what you said about Lindsay. It means a lot. All her fans miss her :sad:

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
It's sooooooooo goooood to see other fans trying to cheer us up!!

That loss really's hard to take. Marti had it in her hans and she let it go. But it seams that even she lost she made major points towards all tennis fans!! And that's a big comfort and it makes it easier to cope with what happened!!

Thanks guys your words are really appreciated! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts