Tennis Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, Jennifer looks like she is going to go from the number 1 Seed last year, to around the number 7 or 8 seed this year. That is really going to suck for her, and she was the top seed in Berlin and Rome wasn't she? So going in she will be seeded there around 5-6-7 and it will be even harder for her to get to the semis and defend those points. Doesn't look to good for Jennifer, her fall in the ranks already started, she did climb up a little but in part to others not defending points. But she could even leave the French Open the number 8 player in the world seeing that Chanda can add some points in Berlin and Rome can't she?

Top 10 Rankings as of 05 - 03 -2003:

1. Serena...........................7055
2. Venus............................4325 + 183 = 4508
3. Clijsters..........................4312
4. Henin..............................3910
5. Davenport........................3304
6. Mauresmo.......................2687 + 222 = 2909
7. Capriati...........................2883
8. Rubin..............................2524
9. Hantuchova..................... 2509
10.Myskina..........................2265
11.Dokic............................. 2242.

I think the number 2 seed at the French will be decided in Berlin, seeing Venus isn't playing Rome. And the fact that Kim has 200 points to defend in Rome, If like Venus and Kim get to the Semis/Finals of Berlin, Kim would still most likely have to win Rome inorder to pass Venus up :)

Look at Points with Berlin/Rome off

Serena-6382
Venus-4508 (still playing this week)
Kim-4111
Justine-3176
Lindsay-3304(she should've played either Berlin/Rome)
Amelie-2698
Jennifer-2524
Chanda-2488 (will pass jennifer if she reaches certain rounds in both tournies)
Hantuchova- 2378 (good showing like QF's in Berlin/Rome chance to pass Jen as well :( )
Myskina-2075

Jen is going to be in a battle if she wants a decent seeding at the French. I really feel that if Jennifer doesn't do as well in her performances last year, or even better them, and Chanda and Dani better theirs from last year by 1 or 2 rounds, they could actually pass Jennifer. Chanda is much more foreseeing that Dani, but hell the chance is there. Jennifer could yes end up being the number 9 seed at the French and that would really suck, she would defintely end up running into someone in the 4th round or quarters that she does not want to run into and may end up loosing or strugglin and loose after that, and her ranking would then really drop. You'd think there were players below her defending points, but everyone with the most points to defend, last year they did well on the clay and continued, so even if they don't defend all thoese points, the top spots really are secure going into the French. Jen is a good player, and im tocuch base with her b/c her ranking at 9 from 1, that is a big leap (yeah maybe she will get more quality points) but again it will be hard on her, if she would want to win this slam and have any chance, this is going to be the harderst 1 for her to win.

And now about Lindsay. She has a really big/good chance in taking that number 4 seed from Justine for the French. I mean the kind of play she showed on the clay in her first two tournies on clay since who knows when? Hell I would've played both these damn tournies, knowing justine has to try to defend all those points. She really had a big chance, also leaving the French to have a really "secure number 4 seed" going into wimbledon.

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
SerenaSlam, do you really think that Hantuchova is able to pass Jen in the rankings the way she plays? She loses early in tournaments and seem to be far away from her best.

I think Jen will do very well in Berlin and Rome to be the No. 6 seed at the French Open. I know she reached the Semis in both warm up events for the French Open but I think she can do that again.

Without Serena in Berlin and Jen hopefully in Clijsters half of the draw a final against Venus is possible. I think, Rome will be the same just with the difference that Serena is going to play there. We have to cross our fingers for a good draw! ;)

I think it is just the draw which can answer our questions. It doesn`t matter if Jen is No. 6, 7 or 8 seed. She just needs to be in the right half. The worst case I can imagine is 1. Serena, 2. Kim, 3. Venus, 6./7./8. Jen and the draw: Top half - 1. Serena - ???, 3. Venus - 6./7./8. Jen;
Bottom half - ??? - 4. Henin-H., ??? - 2. Clijsters. Not mentioned that Lindsay could be in the top half as well.... :mad:

I mean it would be THE half of the draw at the top and an easy bottom half. We have to think positive! :angel:

·
Registered
10,386 Posts
Jen's seeding won't really matter...thats what a grandslam is all about...you have to battle thru tough matches and if Jen has to face tougher seeds early on, it will make winning even sweeter...not that I want her to win...but i would take that stand for either V or S...

But all of this speculation is for naught because my Queen Vee is winning the trophy...no matter who she has to go through ;) :D.

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
Good news: Jen is in the top half with Clijsters in Berlin, Venus is in the bottom half! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

·
Registered
12,095 Posts
I can finally agree with a Capriati fan.. If Jennifer is behind Daniela on rankings, that would be unfair, cause Jennifer is clearly the superior player.. so..

·
Banned
3,702 Posts
BK4ever said:
Jen's seeding won't really matter...thats what a grandslam is all about...you have to battle thru tough matches and if Jen has to face tougher seeds early on, it will make winning even sweeter...not that I want her to win...but i would take that stand for either V or S...

But all of this speculation is for naught because my Queen Vee is winning the trophy...no matter who she has to go through ;) :D.
Jen's seeding doesn't matter... she'd probably have to beat both Williams' to win anyway, and it doesn't matter if she plays them in the QF and F... or the SF and F.

Vee isn't winning.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
If Lindsay is ok and ready after her wedding, she could get a wildcard in rome and get the number 4 seed from Justine. Otherwise, number 5 seed is ok, COZ LINDSAY WILL WIN RG!!!!

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Leena said:
Jen's seeding doesn't matter... she'd probably have to beat both Williams' to win anyway, and it doesn't matter if she plays them in the QF and F... or the SF and F.

Vee isn't winning.
what do you mean she isnt winning, she just made the finals of warsaw??

it doesnt matter what seed Capriati has, simply because shed likely lose to any of the top 4, regardless of whom they are

IF she makes it that far

1 - 8 of 8 Posts