Tennis Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's Raise Pete's Hopes to Win Roland Garros Now that We Have a Serve-And-Volleyer in the Finals Award goes to
The one and only Martin Verkerk, the tallest man in the tournament, for ace-ing his way past Coria, the shortest man in the tournament. Hey, was this even a fair contest?

Happy to Have Reached the Semis, but I Am Going to Win this Thing Just Bet My Shirt on It Award goes to
Ever modest Coria who gave Verkerk his props in the after match interview, while stating he wants to win the whole thing in the next two or three years. Side note: Mary and JohnMac think Coria needs to get meaner and that his game was hampered by his niceness yesterday.

I Gave It All I Had to Defend My Title and Hope You Guys Were Entertained Award goes to
Albert Costa, who after coming back several times for 2 sets-love deficits finally ran out of steam against JC. However, in doing so, gained more respect than he had received after last year's win.

Young, Brilliant and Cocky Award goes to
Juan Carlos Ferrero, for beating Costa in straights, saying that Verkerk is no challenge, and that he must win Roland Garros. Now if we can only get Federer and Marat to think like this :D

Coming up: Award to Malivai for his special prognosticating abilities;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Did he say Verkerk is no challenge?
"I beat him last year/he played unbelievable" = no challenge?

Should there be an award for ppl twisting his words? Please accept the honour, you fully deserved that.

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
walee said:
Did he say Verkerk is no challenge?
"I beat him last year/he played unbelievable" = no challenge?

Should there be an award for ppl twisting his words? Please accept the honour, you fully deserved that.
Walee, do you always leave your funny bone when you post? Get some humor, dude.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I loved it Tennis fool, although I'm not so sure I agree with the last one. If anything, lack of cockiness has probably cost Ferrero a few important opportunities in the past, and if it helps his game... But thank goodness he set the world right about what really happens when a big server tries to serve volley on clay, can't defend on baseline rallies and gets demoralized when everything keeps coming back.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Hmm... methinks Verkerk isn't actually a serve-volleyer, it's something he's trying to add to his game with mixed success. He did it about twice against Coria, and when he tried it today against Ferrero he ended up netting volleys that were being put right down at his toes. God, when he tried to come in on breakpoint down in the second set, Ferrero absolutely hammered a forehand return which he did well to avoid being hit by, never mind trying to win the point.

Bottom line, in this tournament he's had two invaluable ingredients that Sampras could not have at RG these days: strong, consistent groundstrokes and mental belief and confidence in his ability.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts