Tennis Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Former world No. 1 Clijsters to join WTT this summer in St. Louis

NEW YORK - Kim Clijsters will return to the courts this summer to play two matches for the St. Louis Aces in the World Team Tennis league.

Clijsters will make her WTT debut July 21 in St. Louis and play in Philadelphia on July 22.

The former world No. 1 retired from the WTA Tour in May 2007. She gave birth to a daughter last year.

Andre Agassi, Venus and Serena Williams and John McEnroe are among the players who will compete in the league, which runs from July 2-26 in 10 cities.

·
Registered
17,699 Posts
2010 is Clijsters's year :rocker2: :angel:.

Very nice to hear, I hope I'll be able to catch her on tv or what.

·
Registered
11,042 Posts
Hope to see Kim back on the tour soon. :)

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Lindsay played two wtt matches to test the waters and made a part time comeback to the tour hope Kim does the same after Lindsay Kim was one of my favourite players. Unless they played each other.

·
Registered
7,511 Posts
Kim this is great :D glad you are competing again:hug: :yeah:

·
Registered
39,557 Posts
She could be back, but she is a family type of person, so I'm not totally sure...

·
Registered
25,232 Posts
I think she's just returning to have fun obviously. Well good on her :yeah:

It's great that she's going to be playing again...even if it's not on the WTA :D

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
:) Good news, she can't do these things and not comeback to the tour. That would just be mean.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
She could be back, but she is a family type of person, so I'm not totally sure...
If the WTA allows it, I'm sure she would like to play parttime on the tour. The WTA would be stupid not to allow this, I'm sure that there are several previous topplayers who would like to play a limited schedule.
From an interview Kim recently gave to a Belgian gossip magazine, Kim is not planning a second baby for the moment.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
From newspaper:

Marquee Player

Clijsters will defend the colors of Saint Louis Aces as the Marquee Player, that is the star player. Every team has a couple of unknown talents and an international star.

“It’s a great honor to be invited,” Clijsters says on her website. Playing in a team is a really nice concept. I’ve always felt attracted to the WTT, but in the past it was hard to combine the WTT with the tourns of the WTA-tour. I am really happy I’ll be able to have a feel of it now/I'll be able to experience this.”

Other news on Kim that appeared in the newspapers the last couple of days is:

- Exhibition match Kim Clijsters sold out in 5 minutes.
Thursday tennisfans could order tickets for the event. In less than 5 minutes all 15.000 tickets were sold. (drifting: Antwerp is as big as center court Wimby :eek:)

- Possibly Kim will play at Antwerp too, Bob Verbeeck, her manager, has said.
"Kim is training very hard to be ready for the exhibition matches. It is going better every week. How good Kim is at the moment is less important than the pleasure she has when playing tennis. She feels comfortable, and that is important.
It won't take long before there will be more news, about Antwerp and other matches Kim will play."
- "It was the explicit wish of Steffi to play against Kim."

In another article, Kim tells that she is "little by little back on court". "At the moment, my main focus is on combining family, tennis and myself". :)eek: :bounce:) This goes well when everything is planned well."
- Jada is saying "mama" in Belgian and "daddy" in English.
- Elke, who is expecting her first child in October, will graduate at the fashion academy this summer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts