Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
So I just found out Yuki Chiang has been playing the ITF Circuit since June. She won a 10K doubles in Japan and is presently playing a 10K in Peru. Does this mean she won't return to college? :(

·
Registered
224 Posts
So I just found out Yuki Chiang has been playing the ITF Circuit since June. She won a 10K doubles in Japan and is presently playing a 10K in Peru. Does this mean she won't return to college? :(
As long as she doesn't accept the prize money, she's still eligible for college play. Tons of the top college players test their games and earn ranking points on the ITF circuit during the summer or even the fall, and then still play college tennis. No issue there, provided they don't take the money.

·
Registered
9,984 Posts
She isn't on roster anymore. I am pretty sure her and Michigan's Amy Zhu are now pro. I have no idea why though.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
In the last few years, they changed the rules where they can keep up to $10,000 of their earnings.

In the past, they could only keep up to the amount of their expenses, although I don't know who really monitors that and determines what are qualified expenses. :lol:

·
College Tennis/Team USA expert
9,314 Posts
In the last few years, they changed the rules where they can keep up to $10,000 of their earnings.

In the past, they could only keep up to the amount of their expenses, although I don't know who really monitors that and determines what are qualified expenses. :lol:
I know at tournaments (at least on the USTA Pro Circuit), there are ITA Reimbursement Forms. Also, when you sign in , you mark if you're an amateur or professional.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Where Are They Now?
Catching Up with Gator Great Lauren Embree

by Colette Lewis, 13 February 2015
Share:
Lauren Embree had one of the most successful collegiate careers in the University of Florida's storied tennis history, leading the Gators to back-to-back NCAA titles in 2011 and 2012 as the team tournament's Most Outstanding Player, while posting a career singles record of 117-16 during her four years in Gainesville.

Former Florida standout Lauren Embree is on the WTA Tour
© Zoo Tennis
The 24-year-old from Marco Island Florida went undefeated (38-0) in SEC singles competition during her career, and is the only woman in conference history to be named SEC Player of the Year three times. In 2013, the five-time All-American finished her senior year No. 1 in the ITA national rankings, but an injury late that year, which resulted in hip surgery, kept her from a smooth transition to the professional circuit.
After rehab, and a stint as an assistant at Florida while she completed her degree in sports management, Embree resumed her professional career on the ITF Women's Circuit in Europe. Last fall she reached the finals of two $25,000 tournaments in the United States, and has earned a career-high WTA ranking of 335. Now living in Santa Monica, California and working with former UCLA volunteer assistant Laura Gordon, Embree has begun the year on the USTA Pro Circuit, where she has competed in four tournaments in the past month.

At the $100,000 Dow Corning Tennis Classic in Midland, Mich., last week, I spoke with her about her return from injury, what she misses about college tennis, and her goals for 2015 and beyond.

Questions and Answers

Colette Lewis (CL): Are you happy with your progress since you've come back from the injury?

Lauren Embree (LE): I am definitely happy with where I am overall, as a person. My mindset is definitely different than what it was when I finished school. I was a little bit unsure about what I wanted to do and if this was what I wanted to do, and then I got hurt, and it really kind of put things in perspective for me a little bit. I just changed my mindset about everything.

I had what I think was a pretty good mindset going out of college, but getting hurt made me realize that this is what I really want to do. So overall, I'm pretty happy with where I am now, as opposed to where I was last spring with my injuries and some personal things, when things weren't looking great for me at the time. But now they're a lot better and I'm happy.

CL: I know you had two wrist surgeries while you were at Florida. Is that an issue at all?

LE: No, no problems with my wrist.

Embree's dramatic comeback clinched the Gators' 2011 NCAA title over Stanford
© Zoo Tennis
CL: And when did you realize you would need hip surgery?
LE: My right hip was giving me trouble, and then I was out in Los Angeles for the [USTA] college camp last December, and that's when it really just kind of tore. But it's fine now.

CL: Have you recovered psychologically from that?

LE: When I first got back, it was really difficult to try to move to one side, be explosive, because I was always trying to make sure it wasn't going to rip again. But they said, listen, that's not going to happen again. We repaired it, you're going to be fine. So it was just trusting myself and just doing it. So that took a little bit to be back playing comfortably and 100 percent. But I feel like I'm back to 100 percent now.

CL: How did you end up with a wild card into this tournament?

LE: I did not apply for a wild card into any tournaments, actually, even the [$]25s, I was just going to try to go through qualifying. And I came up here, thinking I was in qualifying, and the USTA called me and asked me if I wanted a wild card, and I said sure, why not? I haven't taken one and it's a good opportunity. I had heard so many good things about the tournament. Inside, it's obviously not my best surface, but I've got nothing to lose, so I just decided to take it.

CL: What's been your reaction to all the snow?

LE: I've literally only seen snow three or four times in my life. It snowed (in Midland) really bad so that school was cancelled yesterday, so that was like weird for me. This cold is good for about an hour or two, where I can play in the snow for a second, take some pictures, then I'm ready to go home. No, the tournament's great, it's inside, so it's just the walk to the car you have to get past.

CL: What are your goals, anything specific?
LE: I do have a couple of specific goals. One that I'll share is to try and play the qualies of the US Open or Australia next year. That's my main goal. I have other small personal goals for myself, but that's the one, to get around close to that ranking where I have a chance to play.

CL: You played in the main draw of the French Open back in 2009. Where does that rank among your tennis experiences?

LE: That's definitely one of my greatest accomplishments I think, as far as my tennis career goes, but that was a long time ago. I was like 17, I was young, I put no pressure on myself whatsoever, was doing really well. I had just committed to school; life was really good back then. It's definitely one of my greatest memories and experiences, but I've had so many, going through college, and a lot of those are just as good as that one.

CL: Where are you training now?

LE: I'm in California, training mostly at UCLA. The good thing about LA is there's a lot of good people to hit with, that you can connect with. Laura knows a bunch of people, so it's a good spot to be for right now.

CL: How did you start working with Laura?

LE: Long story short, my old coach, Julie Steven, who I've worked with since I was super young, used to coach Laura, so that's how we all know each other. But I was playing doubles with Robin Anderson, who plays 1 at UCLA, at some pro tournaments a bunch last year and she was with Robin a lot, traveling. So on the road, Julie kind of asked her to watch over me, help me out. That's how we met, and she helped me throughout my whole hip surgery, she got me in to see a really good doctor, and was really on me about my rehab. She really helped me get through that six months and then she offered to help me out a little bit, so we've been working together since June.

Embree now lives and trains in Los Angeles
© Zoo Tennis
CL: Who handles your schedule, travel arrangements? Is that something that's all your responsibility now?
LE: That was a big adjustment. You get used to everyone doing it for you, because that's the norm in college, and then you come out and you have to do it all. I basically do all of it, Laura helps me with it, but as far as the traveling and the schedule, the racquet stringing and all that, I do that all myself.

CL: What's the toughest part?

LE: One of them is making a schedule, to be honest. There's so many options and you just want to play everything, but you know that your body can't. The schedule came out in December and Laura and I went over it, had a schedule up until March, because that was all that was out at the time. We've tweaked it here and there, but I just look based on how my ranking is, how many tournaments I want to play and where they are.

CL: What do you miss most about college tennis?

LE: I think the biggest thing I miss is having that support, having a team that's really for you and wanting you to win. Out here, you're just by yourself and not a lot of people want that for you necessarily. So I think just having the camaraderie and the girls on the team and the support of Florida that I had, is something I miss. And I miss my coaches a lot too. Those are like my second dads in school, so just the whole atmosphere is what I miss.

CL: Do you have any ideas about what you might do with your degree after your tennis career?

LE: I've been thinking about it a little bit, but I don't know what I'll do with that degree necessarily. I've never said I'd want to coach, but if I were to coach, it would be college, so maybe try to get a college coaching position when I'm done playing. But I haven't really thought about too much as far as the degree. I just did it because I wanted to stay in sports and it was what was best for me at the time.

CL: You're a Gator for life?

LE: Always, it's in my blood. I still keep in touch with some of the girls. You know you're getting old when there's only one girl on the team that you've played with. They have a really good, young, fun team this year.

CL: What do you think of their prospects for the season?

LE: They're good. They're stacked. They're young but they're all great. Roland [Thornqvist, head coach] will do a good job with them and they'll have fun.

·
Registered
50,589 Posts
:yeah:

Who is the Laura she talks about?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

·
Registered
2,142 Posts

http://dailybruin.com/2013/02/25/laura-gordon-crosses-courts-from-player-to-volunteer-assistant-coach-2/

Volunteer assistant coach Laura Gordon played for UCLA women’s tennis coach from 2002 to 2006. Gordon began her UCLA athletic career as a walk-on but went on to earn All-American and All-Pac-10 honors. She walks the line between player and coach, having played college tennis so recently.
Interesting she's not with UCLA's staff anymore. Is she just coaching full time now?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

USC Women's Tennis
Former NCAA Champion Kaitlyn Christian wins her 1st pro event since leaving USC at $25,000 Surprise, Arizona! Trojans dominated in the event with 3 of the 4 teams in doubles semifinal consisting of a former Trojan and Maria Sanchez reaching the semifinals of singles.

I bet she's waiting for Sabs to graduate...

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Not sure if there's an interest in college players after they graduate or turn pro, so I'm bringing this back to life.

$60k Charleston, SC
Singles QF: Tomorrow, we got future Stanford Claire Liu in the QF's after she defeated former Stanford Carol Zhou, playing against some Canadian named Abanda.
Next, up Danielle Collins, former Virginia, plays Kayla Day.
Next, returning from retirement, Lauren Embree vs. Brengle, who probably will win this thing.
Last, who cares, some international players, I dunno about.

Doubles SF: KK & Sabs (I think this is the 1st time I've seen them play together, post USC) vs Kenin & Halbauer
Zhao & another Canadian vs Eminal Bektas & Alexa Guarachi

I don't recall seeing so many former college players, in one tournament, or at least in the later rounds.
Not that I don't think they'll climb high up the rankings, but worth noting.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Liu just beat Day 7-5, 2-6, 6-4 in an ITF event. I guess she's saying bye to Stanford.

Liu is Asian though, so surely her parents want her to get an education, right?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Liu just beat Day 7-5, 2-6, 6-4 in an ITF event. I guess she's saying bye to Stanford.

Liu is Asian though, so surely her parents want her to get an education, right?
Yep I'd say she goes for an education.

Not many Asians are turning pro and have had luck for that matter.

Last one, Grace Min, ranked #181, even Kristie Ahn is 30 spots ahead of her at #151.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Vania King was the one with the greatest success.
15 doubles titles and #3 career high ranking...

I remember when she came back from an injury, end of 2015, playing an ITF in Waco with Gibbsy.

Nicole was the student and Vania was the master. They ended up winning the doubles title.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Top 10 ranked players in singles (former NCAA players):

#65: Jennifer Brady (UCLA)
#110: Nicole Gibbs (Stanford)
#111: Kristie Ahn (Stanford)
#129: Irina Falconi (Georgia Tech)
#146: Carol Zhao (Stanford)
#147: Jamie Loeb (North Carolina)
#161: Danielle Collins (Virginia)
#213: Danielle Lao (USC)
#216: Jacqueline Cako (Arizona State)
#260: Emina Bektas (Michigan)

Really impressed with Ahn and Zhao this year...

41 - 60 of 62 Posts