Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
50,589 Posts
Would also be cool to see them make a list of girls currently playing in college who have WTA ranks :)

·
College Tennis/Team USA expert
9,314 Posts
I can't believe Tayler Davis (Cal) is CiCi Bellis' hitting partner/coach. I never thought she was very good. :lol:
Was a great recruit and wasn't too bad in college. Was ranked top 40 in singles and I think the same in doubles. Pro was never on her mind, I think just a Cal education which she got. I read somewhere that they're undefeated when she travels with CiCi, so it'll be interesting when that record stops haha

·
Registered
47,622 Posts
Was a great recruit and wasn't too bad in college. Was ranked top 40 in singles and I think the same in doubles. Pro was never on her mind, I think just a Cal education which she got. I read somewhere that they're undefeated when she travels with CiCi, so it'll be interesting when that record stops haha
Oh I know she was mildly successful, I just never was impressed by her game. I wouldn't think she would be able to keep up with CiCi if both were going all out. :shrug:

She must be more of a coach and less of a hitting partner. I know CiCi also hits with one of the guys who plays for Stanford.

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
Oh I know she was mildly successful, I just never was impressed by her game. I wouldn't think she would be able to keep up with CiCi if both were going all out. :shrug:

She must be more of a coach and less of a hitting partner. I know CiCi also hits with one of the guys who plays for Stanford.
Yea, CiCi would kill Tayler. I heard Tayler is more like a baby sitter/older sister. "Hitting partner" is just a more PC term. CiCi works with actually accomplished coaches. Tayler is in charge of driving CiCi places, getting her rackets strung, arranging flight travel and hotels, setting up practice sessions with guys at Stanford, and the occasional drills.

·
Registered
47,622 Posts
Yea, CiCi would kill Tayler. I heard Tayler is more like a baby sitter/older sister. "Hitting partner" is just a more PC term. CiCi works with actually accomplished coaches. Tayler is in charge of driving CiCi places, getting her rackets strung, arranging flight travel and hotels, setting up practice sessions with guys at Stanford, and the occasional drills.
Ah ok, that makes much more sense. :lol:

·
Registered
43,613 Posts

·
Registered
9,984 Posts
I think the winner gets a QWC into next year's US Open.

·
College Tennis/Team USA expert
9,314 Posts
I think the winner gets a QWC into next year's US Open.
Depends on their ranking at next years us open. If 150, it's a MDWC. Otherwise it's a QWC. They invited members of the all star team and top seniors/players who turned pro

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Robin Anderson was invited but I'm guessing she pulled out. She hasn't played since the national championship. Hayley Carter was added as a replacement.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Really? Why were Janowicz and Cercone invited then?
It is the 6 players on the USTA collegiate team and the 2 highest ranked American graduating seniors (not already on that team). I couldn't believe that was Janowicz/Cercone either, but there really were no other American seniors in the top 30 besides Ahn who was already on that team.

In theory, that would make this upcoming season quite strong for college tennis but then with this no-ad fiasco, who knows or cares :tape:

Also, saw in the NYT that the USTA has "poached" Brady and she is taking the fall off to play pro events. May turn pro?

·
Registered
47,622 Posts
It is the 6 players on the USTA collegiate team and the 2 highest ranked American graduating seniors (not already on that team). I couldn't believe that was Janowicz/Cercone either, but there really were no other American seniors in the top 30 besides Ahn who was already on that team.

In theory, that would make this upcoming season quite strong for college tennis but then with this no-ad fiasco, who knows or cares :tape:

Also, saw in the NYT that the USTA has "poached" Brady and she is taking the fall off to play pro events. May turn pro?
Giron said the same thing at first but it was NID he would turn pro.

I think Brady will do the same.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Loeb vs. Elbaba in the finals. No way do they get into the top 150 on the tour if they continue playing college. Would the winner end up turning pro? I think it's more likely if Loeb turns pro.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Giron said the same thing at first but it was NID he would turn pro.

I think Brady will do the same.

Not speaking to the particulars of this case, but the strategy of doing some college years then turning pro, could be a better choice for a range of player than the choice of zero or four years.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts