Tennis Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gran Canaria's Marta Marrero, who stormed into the tennis world in 2000 after reaching the quarterfinals of Roland Garros from qualies shortly after turning 17 and reached the 4R in Melbourne the following year has became world #1 in the World Padel Tour at the age of 36 :worship:

Here you can see some highlights from the final

·
Registered
10,142 Posts
Sarita's serve would be very efficient in this game.

Reactions: Hantuchov

·
Registered
32,007 Posts
I thought we were talking about this...

Now I´m less impressed.

·
Registered
28,460 Posts
I soooo wanna try this sport
It’s really fun! And really popular in Spain and Argentina also.
There are way more people practicing this than tennis in Spain currently.

No idea why It never (or barely) happened in other countries.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Whoa that rally at the 2 min mark :surprise:

This looks really fun but for someone as clumsy as me, I see so many opportunities for injuries - failing to avoid the ball ricocheting off the wall, hitting your partner when you misjudge the ball ricocheting off the wall, running into the wall, cutting yourself after breaking said wall :eek:h:

·
Registered
35,862 Posts
This looks like so much fun! Checked online and it doesn't really exist in the US though. :sad: There are only a dozen locations that have these courts and all of them are in Texas, California or Florida.

·
Registered
448 Posts
This sport has really nice prize money - between 113500€ to 131800€ in each tournament (and there are 17 such tournaments this year + Master Final).

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
It’s really fun! And really popular in Spain and Argentina also.
There are way more people practicing this than tennis in Spain currently.

No idea why It never (or barely) happened in other countries.
Because it was developed in beaches around Mexico highly populated with Ibero-American tourists. I don't get why it never picked interest among Northern European tourists in Costa del Sol, though.

Anyway, it's quite surprising Argentina keeps developing pretty much the only top players in the sport to compete with those from Spain considering it's not anywhere as popular as it used to be before the multiple economic recessions that forced many venues to close.

P.S.: I don't disagree with those who call for Sarita to give padel a try considering you need good volleys/racket skills and movement to give padel a go. Plus players in the padel tour are older than in tennis.

·
Registered
54,759 Posts
She was one of my favorite players back in 2000-2002. I got to see her play at Wimbledon Qualies in 2000 shortly after her QF run at the French Open.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts