Tennis Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

Registered
Thank you for sharing it, never saw this before but this level is amazing 馃槺 Shame it didn鈥榯 have a 3rd set.
that match had some janky highlights for a while and only part of the match was available. Someone must have recently made or re uploaded better ones. It鈥檚 really amazing. For Serena is take that second set was phenomenal.

it鈥檚 matches like these that are the focal point of generational comparisons.

I haven鈥檛 seen a match this level in a quite some years. The courts I鈥檓 sure play a factor but damn.

Also, Jankovic v Lena in Berlin!! I hate you lol

for whatever reason I specifically remember checking the live scores on Thai match in the 10th grade in school.

King
Some of the recently mentioned stuff on here surely represents great classic WTA matches, but they are hardly underrated gems IMO.
I guess it's hard to define what an underrated forgotten gem would be on this forum, as a lot of that would depend on when users here started watching the WTA, and at what frequency, but I do agree that a lot of the high-profile matches being listed in this thread don't really fit into that bucket.

Maybe I'll add a couple of Dementieva matches since it'll be 10 years since she retired this year:

Baby Dementieva beats Baby Venus in FC F 99 in a 3rd set tiebreak

Dementieva beats Peak Clijsters in Filderstadt in 05

Venus beats Hingis Warsaw in 06

Does nobody remember the hype around this one, and what a crazy match it turned out to be? Hingis led a set and 30, Venus hit like 80+ UEs, started cramping in the 3rd, just started whacking winners from a dead stance, and then suddenly started playing like she was playing for the RG F.

Venus beats Sprem Berlin in 04

Their Wimbledon match is certainly more infamous, but this was peak high quality, BBB-era tennis from Sprem.

Sharapova beats Goerges AO in 11

Super high-quality first-strike bash-fest, that was relentlessly good from start to finish.

Registered
Someone uploaded this today, I'd seen the highlights years ago but they'd been removed.

Very good quality for an exho between two retired players (and one of them in her 40s).

Registered
Someone uploaded this today, I'd seen the highlights years ago but they'd been removed.

Very good quality for an exho between two retired players (and one of them in her 40s).
No matter how old they get, the talent still shines through! That rally in the 4-4 game :love:
Also the ball kids were pretty good as well :)

Registered
I guess it's hard to define what an underrated forgotten gem would be on this forum, as a lot of that would depend on when users here started watching the WTA, and at what frequency, but I do agree that a lot of the high-profile matches being listed in this thread don't really fit into that bucket.

Maybe I'll add a couple of Dementieva matches since it'll be 10 years since she retired this year:

Baby Dementieva beats Baby Venus in FC F 99 in a 3rd set tiebreak

Dementieva beats Peak Clijsters in Filderstadt in 05

Venus beats Hingis Warsaw in 06

Does nobody remember the hype around this one, and what a crazy match it turned out to be? Hingis led a set and 30, Venus hit like 80+ UEs, started cramping in the 3rd, just started whacking winners from a dead stance, and then suddenly started playing like she was playing for the RG F.

Venus beats Sprem Berlin in 04

Their Wimbledon match is certainly more infamous, but this was peak high quality, BBB-era tennis from Sprem.

Sharapova beats Goerges AO in 11

Super high-quality first-strike bash-fest, that was relentlessly good from start to finish.
Don鈥榯 get me wrong, I鈥榤 happy to see some WTA classic matches posted here. But I鈥榤 also happy to find out more about other matches that many of us probably have missed or forgotten about. Keep them posted, I love this thread (which is why I made a similar one that now has been integrated here, thankfully)

Registered

Maybe I'll add a couple of Dementieva Venus beats Hingis Warsaw in 06

I remember watching this and martina laying on the bench looking so relaxed while Venus was getting treatment , thankfully Venus wiped the smug look off hingis face

Registered
2005 Moscow (Tier 1) QF: Peak Pierce saved 6 straight match points in 3rd set tiebreaker from 0-6 down against Likhovtseva :oops:. PP actually won the last 8 points to win the match 馃槻

Likhovtseva was also peaking in 2005 by her standard by reaching RG SF out of nowhere earlier in the year, though losing to Peak Pierce there too with 2 breadsticks.

Pardon the subpar YouTube quality, proof that this is a hidden gem 馃拲馃檹

Art & Futures
not necessarily best, but good drama!

Serena v. Jankovic 2008 Miami

Dokic v Kleybanova 2009 AO

Registered
Glorious clay domination by Francesca en route to her RG title over World No. 1 Wozniacki at the time, just shows that you can't push your way on clay if you don't have the feel for it. Also screaming at Caroline's pitiful racquet smash attempt at 7:52.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts