Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
12,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd start a thread for the first time in years recommending some matches that most people on this forum probably haven't seen (just to get our tennis fix).

I'll go first - youth vs experience - Gabi Sabatini vs Chris Evert Lipton Championship Match 1989 in horribly windy conditions

Enjoy.

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
High drama, fun contrast of styles, high quality. Serena going for the NCYGS and almost going out in R1. :eek:

·
Registered
10,948 Posts
Haha, for me it's always my all time great Helen Kelesi vs Monica Seles at Roland Garros 1990.

Both had won the doubles at the Italian Open and agreed to take a shot at the French. Shortly before, Monica dumped Helen and Helen said "I'll kick your ass, you bish". Which was actually totally ridiculous, all previous matches have ended in less than an hour with Helen winning a game here and there. And then this happened:

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
1997 Wimbledon 3R: Kournikova def. Huber

Incredible quality and the atmosphere was just electric. I've never seen anything quite like it.

2000 Wimbledon 1R: Kournikova vs. Testud

Testud was top ten at the time and Kournikova was just out of the top 16 seeds. It was a blockbuster first round and lit up Centre Court. Great stuff.

1998 Australian 3R: Hingis vs. Kournikova
Orgasmic display of all-court tennis from both. Three-set thriller.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I can't find any video of it, but the greatest rally I ever saw in a Grand Slam was between Myrtille Georges and Christina McHale in the first round at Roland-Garros in 2016. I can't remember why I actually tuned into this match, or at what stage the rally took place, but it was about 30 shots with Georges regularly disappearing from the camera view at the near end and somehow getting back a string of completely unreturnable shots from McHale before eventually taking the point. The "crowd" (20 or 30 people?) went absolutely ballistic!

She went on to win the match, but lost to Garbine Muguruza in the second round.

·
Registered
39,324 Posts
Since there is no live tennis at the moment, it's time to highlight some of our favourite matches from the past. I personally like to detect those matches that I might have missed back in the day. Others might have been forgotten.

I'll start with one of my favourite one's and on top of that a match that I could not find in recorded form for years. I link a 2011 Wimbledon third round match between Marion Bartoli and Flavia Pennetta, Marion won 5-7 6-4 9-7! Marion went on to defeat Serena Williams in the next round and claimed that she even played better during the match with Pennetta, stunning some journalists with this statement. If you watch this match, you'll understand why this was truly one of the sport's great grass court matches.

Feel free to share other WTA matches in this thread.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
i wouldn't say that they are forgotten yet, but the following 2 matches were played in 2019, and were gems.

2019 strasbourg final, yastremska d garcia, 6-4,5-7,7-6(3). 2hrs 58 min.
dayana had 2 match points at 6-4,5-3, blew them, garcia had a match point in the third at 5-4.
dayana 49 winners. garcia 18 winners.
great match. 9 minutes on you tube, don't know if there is a full match floating about somewhere.

and the other match tennis fans may not of scene was my favourite last year.

martic d sabalenka 7-5,5-7,6-4 at zhengzhou, over 80 winners in total by both players, crowd got into it, players really got into it, commentator got into it, just a great match.
i have only found 3 crappy minutes of highlights on wta facebook, and 30 seconds of that is the players walking on court. hope there is a full match somewhere.

watched both live, and thoroughly enjoyed them.

in this time of no tennis we need the w.t.a. or someone to put lots of complete matches on youtube for our enjoyment, not the pissy highlights packages they show for many matches.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Great match it was! Still, gutted that Flavia lost though.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
i wouldn't say that they are forgotten yet, but the following 2 matches were played in 2019, and were gems.

2019 strasbourg final, yastremska d garcia, 6-4,5-7,7-6(3). 2hrs 58 min.
dayana had 2 match points at 6-4,5-3, blew them, garcia had a match point in the third at 5-4.
dayana 49 winners. garcia 18 winners.
great match. 9 minutes on you tube, don't know if there is a full match floating about somewhere.
That, for me, was the match of the year. And the shot of that match was the one in which Yastremska saved the match point.

·
Registered
39,324 Posts
Oh no, I started a similar thread yesterday, didn't see yours. I'm sorry!

And now the great match I was referring to (Bartoli-Pennetta Wimbledon R3 2011) has even been removed... :/

Still can't believe Jana has left us. RIP

·
Registered
12,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think this thread was probably on page 2 by then so not to worry Crazillo. Hope everyone is doing ok in this crazy time. Lockdown was brought into effect at midnight last night in Ireland so any and all recommendations for matches would be much appreciated (no spoilers please!)

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,414 Posts
2004 Berlin Semifinal Venus Williams vs. Karolina Sprem

2002 Amelia Island Final Venus Williams vs. Justine Henin

Both great quality matches

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
Petrova d. Capriati 6-3 4-6 6-3 at the 2003 French Open. I don't think highlights exist, unfortunately, but the quality was ridiculously high.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts