Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Senoglu recently endured a nightmare of an experience in China, playing a series of challenger events in which she says non-Chinese players were threatened, spat at, incessantly jobbed on line calls, and forced to make do with subhuman bathroom facilities. The situation in Schenectady is, needless to say, more to Ipek's liking. "I think obviously the conditions are better, because I don't think there is anything against the foreign players here, because I don't feel like Americans are treated differently. But in China, all of the foreign players have felt that we were not being treated fairly."

-- that is pretty bad!

·
Registered
904 Posts
I wonder how the Olympics will fair when it comes to Beijing next in 2008, Sounds very hostile, not the image they portray when people are watching, this is so disheartening!!!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I guess China is still not that open country to foreigners due to the so called, 'Wall of Bamboo' image. And they may use the challenger series for their own players' ranking point sake. It's not fair & good but hopefully it would get better as time goes by.

When I travel in China, they charge almost everything much higher to foreigners, and nobody seemed to have any problem with that. :eek:

When Yoon-Jeong Cho was asked what was the most unforgettable memories during her tour career in recent interview. She said that she was forced to walked out by the referee after breaking 3 rackets. :eek: She gave an advice, "Never mind any line call or it will just destroy you" ;) She said her friend Hisamastu is still teasing her about it.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
49,763 Posts
:rolleyes: @ chinese association

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
chinese tennis officials= :retard:

·
Registered
15,747 Posts
well i agree with all of your comments but will add that the ITF must also be responsible for this, surely they had a itf rep at all the events so why the hell didnt they do anything to fix it, i mean come on and i know this is the pov of all players that go to china as i have heard through a player mate of mine that Tiffany Welford and Christina Horiatopoulos also had a bad time in china!

hope they clean up there act at the wta events after the us open

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
I think it was only Wulanhuote that had the complaints, not all the Chinese tournaments. I havent heard about any complaints other than about Wulanhuote.
The mens Masters Cup tournament in Shanghai was fantastic, the crowd was great and the players had only good things to say about it, same with the WTA tournament in Shanghai, and the ones in Changsha and Shen Zhen last year. Its a shame that only one ITF tournament ruined the reputation of the country's tournaments as a whole :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
I've been posting before that in $25k Wulanhaote, China, the players made a big complaint about bad facilities and services. They said the tournament is not well organized and most of the players signed the complaint letter and send to the ITF. They said The hard court surface is so bad, they put sand on it, so slippy and can not run at all. Everything is suck, there is nothing at the tournament, having only tennis court... no food service... players lounge is just a small room with 5 chairs... the toilet is also so bad, they provided only 2 toilets and very dirty. The players can not use credit cards at the hotel.
This is ITF responsibility. they should make confirmation check if the facilities in the tournaments are good enough before they put the schedule in calendar.

·
Banned
959 Posts
Do realize that at a lot of these places people are living below poverty, and tennis pros are supposedly making a lot of money, so that's why they hope to get a few more cents off them.
It is different from Europe where you get to see tennis clubs everywhere. I know what they mean. One of the reasons is the language barrier. It's hard for Chinese who mostly cant speak English to communicate. The other problem is that their bathrooms are a lot of time pretty filthy. It does not just happen there. It happens everywhere. And most Chinese are used to it. So for players who play there, dont be surprised.

·
Registered
15,969 Posts
This really bugs me. This just proves how wrong it was for China to be awarded the olympics, simply because they are th world's most populous nation. I donno, I was so mad when China was awarded the Olympics. Not because it was over Toronto, but just in general. I think that China isn't ready to host such major events because they have too many problems of their own, in terms of human rights abuses, lack of individual and political freedom etc, poor treatment of its citizens. I am not shocked by this at all, it just makes me even more mad because I know China will be hosting the 2008 olympics. Some posters are correct, it IS an ITF responsibility to ensure that foreign players are treated well at these events, but at the same time, the Chinese officials must ensure fairness in the tournaments and that there are liveable and acceptable playing conditions. That is THEIR job. This reminds me of the countless stories of family members who were denied visas by the Chinese gov't , making them not able to see their sons/daughters who were REPRESENTING CHINA. THat just boggles my mind, how could you continue to represent that nation if they do that to you? Not to mention the enormous pressure that probably goes on Chinese players to compete well and do well in their home town. More than "extra" in other nations.

The ITF should take stringent action when responding to these complaints about these events. It might be just Wulanhaote, but regardless, the ITF must do something about it. If it is just one tournament, then DEAL WITH THAT ONE TOURNAMENT!

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
China has had at least one WTA level event over the past 5-10 years and they have always been very popular. I'm pretty sure that this is an isolated incident.

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
polishprodigy said:
This really bugs me. This just proves how wrong it was for China to be awarded the olympics, simply because they are th world's most populous nation. I donno, I was so mad when China was awarded the Olympics. Not because it was over Toronto, but just in general. I think that China isn't ready to host such major events because they have too many problems of their own, in terms of human rights abuses, lack of individual and political freedom etc, poor treatment of its citizens. I am not shocked by this at all, it just makes me even more mad because I know China will be hosting the 2008 olympics. Some posters are correct, it IS an ITF responsibility to ensure that foreign players are treated well at these events, but at the same time, the Chinese officials must ensure fairness in the tournaments and that there are liveable and acceptable playing conditions. That is THEIR job. This reminds me of the countless stories of family members who were denied visas by the Chinese gov't , making them not able to see their sons/daughters who were REPRESENTING CHINA. THat just boggles my mind, how could you continue to represent that nation if they do that to you? Not to mention the enormous pressure that probably goes on Chinese players to compete well and do well in their home town. More than "extra" in other nations.

The ITF should take stringent action when responding to these complaints about these events. It might be just Wulanhaote, but regardless, the ITF must do something about it. If it is just one tournament, then DEAL WITH THAT ONE TOURNAMENT!
in general you're right, business once again shows it's face, no matter human's right when this game is all about huge Asian market which needs to be commercialized and Olympic commitee knows it very well (it's not the first time, remember Atlanta in 1996? 100 years after refundation of modern OG there were given to USA instead of home country in Greece, obviously the same situation, 12 years of waiting after only half-Olympic games and American market was given the priority....).
But I'm pretty sure this problem isn't only in China, look at the challenger calender, you'll see places a challengers in countries where you suppose the same situation. Maybe players are treated better but infrastructure is maybe even worse. Yeah, it's the ITF's affair, it's their business but how you could expect miracles from organization which compounds juniors, women's and men's challenger altogether when for example WTA isn't able to ensure fully functional web pages for BIG TOURNEYS? That's the same problem, some incompetent people are sitting in well paid chairs when they can't and wouldn't be.... I've attended many tournaments and I've seen many and many problems which destroys this sport. I'm pretty sure that when you ask different players who played challengers in different places, maybe you'll be surprised how bad are their experience. But none of them will generalize their critical view (why do you think?), this is the problem of competency on the highest places in organizations, people who are dedicated to tennis and have possibilities to change things will be never given a chance to do it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts