Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks

For once in the past, well I dunno, long time, I'm not going to talk about Venus. :)eek: )

I want to talk about technique, most importantly on the forehand.
I have some matches coming up. Important ones.
My ranking depends on it.
Dont want to lose
Only way lose is because of that forehand.
It's got to go.
I just cant get it right

As ya'll know, I emulate V.
I'd take her worst forehand on her worst day any time.
But Its so intricate I cant figure it out
So I stopped trying, and just improvised

Not working

These are the problems

90% of my errors are either balls that are waay out (contact and i pull up too soon i believe) or dumped into the net (late and I dont pull up enough)

You dont know how much I practice and practice, but the technique just isnt there.
No matter how much you practice something, if its wrong, its wrong.

So, wise WTAWorld posters.

Throw me a bone here.

I have an open stance. Semi-Western Grip (even though i fooled around with the eastern grip which reduced my errors slightly, but i dont have enough margin for error, and i cant hit with as much pace consistently). Have a medium swing (thats what i thought it was, too big a swing, so i try to keep it compact)

What do I need to (or not) do?

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
its usually the bh people have problems with ;)!

with a semi-western forehand you should be making far less errors than with the eastern. :eek: maybe you should practice taking the pace off and hitting with topspin and if u dont get enough spin maybe go a bit more western on the grip..

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Try using your left arm as a guide. Sort of like with overheads, when you point at the ball so you can hit it? Do the same with your forehand (I'm assuming you're righthanded). You don't have to point, but track the ball. This will also increase the uncoiling motion of your shoulders.

But, without seeing you, I can't give you much more help than that.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
LOL, Rollo, now I have to think about it ;)

No, I don't think so. I have a long, fast swing (clay court hardcore ;)) so I've always been taught that you hit the ball out in front of you a little bit. I usually put my left arm out and my right arm is already in position behind me, ready to swing (hence, helping with the uncoiling motion). But I don't try to hit the ball that far in front of me, I let it come back a little further.

You can play around with it and see what feels most comfortable. If my forehand goes awry it's usually because I get too close to the ball, or my wrist breaks in the middle of my swing.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
5,857 Posts
[This is assuming you are right-handed]
Get into position first. Then start by turning your upper body so that your left shoulder is closer to the ball than your right one. You could even keep your left hand with the racquet for part of the backswing to make you do this. Make sure you get some body rotation as you whip that racquet round. Imagine you are holding a paintbrush and trying to paint a nice swift up-then-down curve on a wall in front of you. Make sure you turn the face over as it comes across your body, and finish up somewhere between shoulder and hip on your non-racquet side. I would also say don't be afraid of taking a bigger swing and try to put some weight into the shot. It's usually the tentative ones that end up drifting out or hitting the tape. If it still doesn't work try to add more spin - you could even "yank" a few if you're desperate (where the racquet just goes from low to high without crossing the body) but as far as I understand that is bad technique.

·
Banned
191 Posts
Why would you emulate Venus' style? Do you hit your backhand wrong-footed, serve with a hitch, and swing wildly at easy volleys? I take it you can't slice or drop shot or lob either.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
My guess is you're thinking too much about your technique.

Myself, like you and like Venus, has trouble with the forehand. It definitely breaks down when I get nervous and my backhand is my dependable shot and my weapon.

But, on days when I am not playing an important match, a day when I am just playing a set or two with a buddy, my forehand can be a huge weapon. I found out that when I swing hard and just go for it, it winds up being alot better of a shot than when I think about my technique and topspin and all that mumbo-jumbo. I have never really thought about my technique in the turn your shoulders/point at the ball kinda way, I just remember to swing through the ball, and swing from low to high to get topspin naturally. When my forehand is on I can do anything with it, and I think it's just from getting out there and hitting and not thinking too much about it.

So what I am trying to say is that your own personal forehand technique will come to you, you just have to keep swinging at the ball and picking your spots and you won't have to think about it anymore. Move your feet to the ball, pick a spot, and see what happens is your best bet, IMO. :p

And ZvonErevian, that has absolutely nothing to do with this post, why can't you just give it up and start posting where people care about what you have to say... :mad:

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks everyone

and Zvonawhatever, yes actually i do

You know, I think what Venus said was true.

Its get worse when I think about it more. But I think I also need to realize that I'm only so good, and no matter how good the technique is, its not going to be GREAT.

Now my backhand is awesome, just like Venus'. I got that down.

And i do have V's hitch serve, but its the best on the team. (suprisingly my second serve, when I'm playing half way decent is very very good) my first serve is good, but I want to improve my slice serves.

Does anyone have any tips on hitting the slice serve out wide on the ad side.??

oh and back to Venus, I saw an editorial that broke down her forehand, and it said the technique is great if its hit properly, but if its NOT hit properly, thats when it has problems

I guess I'm the same

but anyway my matches are next week and I'm going to practice hard and hopefully it'll all work out

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
5,857 Posts
mmcdonald said:
Does anyone have any tips on hitting the slice serve out wide on the ad side.??
Erm, don't? If you want to serve wide on the ad side you should be hitting a kick/twist serve or a slowed-down normal serve, or a left-handed slice. But I have never been that good with my left hand.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
left handed slice?

I know you throw the ball out to your right, and brush the right side of the ball

but I fall backwards when i do that

oh and back to the forehand

I'm more like Venus than I thought

I noticed that about 80% of my netted forehands were when guess what, i fell backward and lifted my head up....sound familiar?

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
mmcdonald said:
left handed slice?

I know you throw the ball out to your right, and brush the right side of the ball

but I fall backwards when i do that
So you just want to know how to hit a slice serve? Change the grip on your racquet so your fingers are more towards your body. (It's hard to explain and I'm not sure what the exact term for the grip is.) Also, don't hit the ball as hard as you can because you'll put too much slice on it and it won't go anywhere. Just brush it. You need to have a pretty good degree of control to hit a slice serve.

And you don't have to throw the ball that much further out of your comfort zone. Throw it a bit above your head so you aren't reaching at the top.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok, i can do it on the deuce side, but on the ad side, i never know if i should end the same way i would a flat serve, you know what I'm talking about? the follow through

and i use a hammer or eastern grip for the serve, should i use a continental for the slice?

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
its usually the bh people have problems with !

with a semi-western forehand you should be making far less errors than with the eastern. maybe you should practice taking the pace off and hitting with topspin and if u dont get enough spin maybe go a bit more western on the grip..
exactly!

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SM said:
its usually the bh people have problems with ;)!

with a semi-western forehand you should be making far less errors than with the eastern. :eek: maybe you should practice taking the pace off and hitting with topspin and if u dont get enough spin maybe go a bit more western on the grip..
topspin? whats topspin :p

·
Registered
26,637 Posts
Zvonerevian said:
Why would you emulate Venus' style? Do you hit your backhand wrong-footed, serve with a hitch, and swing wildly at easy volleys? I take it you can't slice or drop shot or lob either.
OK, let's be fair though. Steffi's forehand "looked all wrong" technically but the results speak for themselves, right? (Even had Monica not been stabbed and Steffi "only" won a dozen or so Slam singles titles). :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.