Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Congrats naomi. And this didnt include nike deal. 16 million from endorsements with out nike. Next year it will be around 25 million .. and if she by chance wins olympics in tokyo, sky is the limit for her.

Japan is very loyal.and anyone brings national glory is treated well for life. She will be set for next decade when it comes to endorsements. I hope she gets her career on track.

In america she would be one of the many players but in japan she is the one and her cross cultural appeal is important when it comes to marketing

·
Registered
15,032 Posts
Had Naomi been a Yank and had she won the exact same things she's won now, she would have been paid less and ranked lower on that damn Forbes list at this stage of her life (her position woulda been closer to Sloan than Serena).

Her Haitian dad was clearly

·
Rise up from ignorance
17,547 Posts
Only confirms tennis is the best-paid sport for women. They've battered everyone into a submission with this list :lol:

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Congrats naomi. And this didnt include nike deal. 16 million from endorsements with out nike. Next year it will be around 25 million .. and if she by chance wins olympics in tokyo, sky is the limit for her.

Japan is very loyal.and anyone brings national glory is treated well for life. She will be set for next decade when it comes to endorsements. I hope she gets her career on track.

In america she would be one of the many players but in japan she is the one and her cross cultural appeal is important when it comes to marketing
She signed with Nike in April and the cutoff point for that list is June 1st so I think it does include at least part of that deal, otherwise she could not reach that huge a number already. Otherwise yes, her parents were very smart to pick Japan, in the future that's going to prove very lucrative for her (and it already is, what I'm saying is it will be even more so).

·
Registered
1,763 Posts

She signed with Nike in April and the cutoff point for that list is June 1st so I think it does include at least part of that deal, otherwise she could not reach that huge a number already. Otherwise yes, her parents were very smart to pick Japan, in the future that's going to prove very lucrative for her (and it already is, what I'm saying is it will be even more so).
You might be right but forbes mentioned this which makes it look like it didnt include this year.. So i guess they will count her first full year next year. And this list was finalized till june1. So i doubt they counted

Her off-court earnings jumped from $1.5 million annually to an estimated $16 million for the 12 months ending June 1, after signing deals with Mastercard, All Nippon Airways, Nissan and Procter & Gamble.

Her endorsement haul will be even greater over the next year after signing a blockbuster, multimillion-dollar pact with Nike in the spring, just ahead of our earnings cutoff. Osaka, 21, is primed to be one of the faces of the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
You might be right but forbes mentioned this which makes it look like it didnt include this year.. So i guess they will count her first full year next year. And this list was finalized till june1. So i doubt they counted

Her off-court earnings jumped from $1.5 million annually to an estimated $16 million for the 12 months ending June 1, after signing deals with Mastercard, All Nippon Airways, Nissan and Procter & Gamble.

Her endorsement haul will be even greater over the next year after signing a blockbuster, multimillion-dollar pact with Nike in the spring, just ahead of our earnings cutoff. Osaka, 21, is primed to be one of the faces of the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo.
Don't you think you're getting a little ahead of yourself here? Some of these Deals are "Performance Based" meaning she has to put up the Results first. I doubt Nike is that interested should Naomi hovering in the Top 30 or 40.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Even if she's 'only' in the top 30, she will still be the most successful female tennis player in Japan. She has won 2 grand slams and been world no 1.
She will be a legend forever in Japan and Nike see this. Kei Nishikori makes like $30m a year and he hasn't even won anything of note. Naomi will be getting a slice of that pie for years to come.

·
Registered
17,792 Posts
Don't you think you're getting a little ahead of yourself here? Some of these Deals are "Performance Based" meaning she has to put up the Results first. I doubt Nike is that interested should Naomi hovering in the Top 30 or 40.
At 30/40, maybe not as much as she would make as the current holder of two slams. But if she can maintain a competitive run near the top, I suspect she'll be right there with off-court earnings. Look at Nishikori He's literally been in ONE slam final, no Tier I title, and has never had a sniff at being number one (granted, the ATP is a little crowded at the top), but he's still raking in a ton of high-profile endorsements. If Naomi never wins a slam or become number 1 again but remains a competitive top player like a Kvitova or Pliskova, she'll still be given quite a bit of attention in Japan, which is a massively rich market, which can actually help sustain her even if she was at 30/40.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Even if she's 'only' in the top 30, she will still be the most successful female tennis player in Japan. She has won 2 grand slams and been world no 1.
She will be a legend forever in Japan and Nike see this. Kei Nishikori makes like $30m a year and he hasn't even won anything of note. Naomi will be getting a slice of that pie for years to come.
This, there are plenty of Japanese brands who would jump at the occasion, so she will be more than fine even as a top 20 player (which would be her ranking without the two slams she currently holds). This is a player that will make the top 5 of this list for years to come just on endorsements alone.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts

No i m not. Asian coutries pay their athletes well once they hit the target . Kei never won a slam and still top earner. If he wins olympic or slam he will double it. Naomi isnt loosing Japanese market bcoz of her 2 slams. I am not getting ahead of myself. Asian sponsors pay differently to players compared to west. And nike isnt cutting off that deal. Nike target market is japan and asia. Naomi fits the bill. Feel free to disagree
Many athelets who r retired in my country still earns 10 million usd in endorsements which arent mentioned on forbes.
Even li na is reported to earn over that amount even after years of retirement.
Asian market works different.
She might never win a slam but she has made her name written in japans history.
Personally i would prefer her to win one slam per year. Lol!!!!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
How are Keys and Mugaruza on this list and not Petra? She’s earned $2.7 mill since January in prize money alone. However her big wins from 2018 were all early in the year. I guess those US endorsements make a big difference as Keys, Venus and Sloane are all $3mill+

Angie locks down the German market, Halep is a huge star in Romania and Naomi’s star shot up boosted by the Asian market I’m guessing. Sharapova is still a thing? Ditto Wozniacki?
Svitolina got a nice payday winning the tour finals I’m guessing. Maybe Czech endorsements don’t add up to much?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Get that money Naomi! It’s not a competition between Naomi and Serena. One is winding down and the other is just getting started. One paved the way for the success of the other. I’m looking forward to seeing what Naomi does in the future. I predict even bigger things for her.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
How are Keys and Mugaruza on this list and not Petra? She’s earned $2.7 mill since January in prize money alone. However her big wins from 2018 were all early in the year. I guess those US endorsements make a big difference as Keys, Venus and Sloane are all $3mill+

Angie locks down the German market, Halep is a huge star in Romania and Naomi’s star shot up boosted by the Asian market I’m guessing. Sharapova is still a thing? Ditto Wozniacki?
Svitolina got a nice payday winning the tour finals I’m guessing. Maybe Czech endorsements don’t add up to much?
Pliskova is also Czech.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
This is only the slice of the pie. It doesn't factor in side businesses and investments.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Osaka is a player who didn't achieve much. Of course, winning 2 Slams for an almost 23 year old could be enough, but in Paris and London didn't pass Round 3 and was eliminated twice RR at the WTA Finals...

Another "product" of the Americans, rising player transformed already into value! With 5 won titles.

Compared to Osaka, Andreescu looks more like a phenomenon (but still unproven), and this money would be deserved by Simona Halep.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts