Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figures include prize money and endorsements. Serena endorsements are $25 million and Osaka $16 million.

Today, Forbes released its list of 2019 Highest-Paid Female Athletes:

1. Serena Williams: $29.2m
2. Naomi Osaka: $24.3m
3. Angelique Kerber: $11.8m
4. Simona Halep: $10.2
5. Sloane Stephens: $9.6m
6. Caroline Wozniacki $7.5m
7. Maria Sharapova $7.0m
8. Karolina Pliskova $6.3m
9. Elina Svitolina $6.1m
10. Venus Williams $5.9m
10. Garbine Muguruza $5.9m
12. Alex Morgan $5.8m
13. Madison Keys $5.5m
13. P.V. Sindu $5.5m
15. Ariya Jutanugarn $5.3m

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2019/08/06/the-highest-paid-female-athletes-2019-serena-and-osaka-dominate/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,784 Posts
Where is Barty? :eek::eek:
The cutoff might not include her win in Paris. Considering how much a champion gets, that's a surefire way to making it to the top portion of the list.

I'm shocked to see how much money Angie made during this timeframe. I'm sure based on the cut-off that Wimbledon would be her one and only significant prize money haul so I would say around 60% of that nearly 12 million is from endorsements. So much for people think she's not bankable.

·
Registered
8,972 Posts
She's a new face at the top and hasn't been hyped much yet, if she maintains a top 5 ranking next year she'll be there. I find it very surprising that Pliskova is financially way more successful than Petra though
She may not be. Forbes pulls those endorsement numbers out of their ass. I'm not even sure the prize money numbers add up. There's no real methodology behind this. It's all PR, and some agents are more concerned with that than others.

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
She's a new face at the top and hasn't been hyped much yet, if she maintains a top 5 ranking next year she'll be there. I find it very surprising that Pliskova is financially way more successful than Petra though
Better overall results. Plus Petra was still struggling last year.

·
Registered
928 Posts
12. Alex Morgan $5.8m
13. P.V. Sindu $5.5m

Someone tell me I'm not the only one who hasn't a clue who these three people are :)

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Considering there's just been a football world cup in Europe, she's American, very marketable, one of the best players in the world, and 30 years old so has been on the go a while, I'd imagine a fair few, especially in the USA and Europe, will have heard of Alex Morgan.

The other 2 maybe not so much outside of India and East Asia, unless you're a particular fan of badminton and women's golf.

·
Registered
8,972 Posts
12. Alex Morgan $5.8m
13. P.V. Sindu $5.5m

Someone tell me I'm not the only one who hasn't a clue who these three people are :)
Alex Morgan is the face (along with Megan Rapinoe) of the US women's soccer team. She's a much bigger star in America than anyone in tennis aside from Serena & Maria.
I say this as someone who doesn't care about the women's soccer team. They've been unavoidable this summer.

The other two I'm also drawing a blank.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Alex Morgan is the face (along with Megan Rapinoe) of the US women's soccer team. She's a much bigger star in America than anyone in tennis aside from Serena & Maria.
I say this as someone who doesn't care about the women's soccer team. They've been unavoidable this summer.

The other two I'm also drawing a blank.

As a non American with no interest in women's football, not surprised I've not heard of her, women's football is big in the US but people pay little attention to it outside, it's a shame that women players are trying to grow their game by piggybacking off of the men's game - you see this at FIFA awards ceremony, they started recently to crown the best female player and they go up there and give a speec when nobody in the room has seen them before.

Anyone, I'll have to google the other two.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts