Votes: 3 100.0%
  • No, I hate dark mornings!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for people who live in western-european countries with the Central Europe Time (Spain, France, Benelux, Germany etc.) - Daylight saving time during the whole year - Would it be acceptable for you or not? For example - if you live in Paris, DST (CEST) would cause very late sunrise in December and January (aprox. 9:40 AM)

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Clocks get turned in Finland every year, it's barely noticeable.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Clocks get turned in Finland every year, it's barely noticeable.
I wouldn't say it's barely noticeable. When the DST starts in late March, it gets dark at around 8pm instead of 7pm. I quite like it, so much that I happily sacrifice one hour of sleep for it.

For sure, it barely gets dark at night in summer in Central Finland so in that sense DST doesn't make much of a difference. But in the fall, it again makes a difference like it does in the spring. It's kinda nice when you don't have to go to school/work in the dark for a few more weeks. But when the sun suddenly sets an hour earlier, it feels kinda despressing, knowing the dark and cold winter is coming. In the winter months, DST wouldn't make much of a difference in the weekdays when you spend the daylight hours at work/school, though in the weekends I'd happily trade one hour of daylight from the morning to the afternoon.

The above makes it obvious I'd support a permanent DST. It makes sense to save daylight into the afternoon. After all, our sleeping patterns aren't 8pm to 4am but more like 11pm to 7am. Then again, there are people here in Finland not only supporting abandoning DST but also supporting a switch to CET to get into the same time zone with most other EU countries. For sure it might make sense in business sense. But I'm definitely not in favor of it; it would be wasting daylight in the sleeping hours.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts