Tennis Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31,768 Posts
The term "veteran" gets so overused these days. Halep and Kvitová MAYBE; Plíšková is absolutely not one.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
No, none of those will retire in the short term, they will all want to retire after a full season, not like this.

Karolina is only 28, & petra is only 30. Unless they really have lost any desire, they and Simona will keep going.

And even though there may be less money in tournaments for the foreseeable future due to Covid19, it's still one of the best paid jobs to have, and you can never have enough money.
What about CSN. she said at the beginning of the season that this was her last year.
CSN was, no doubt, looking forward to playing in her last Madrid, but now that has been canceled.
Really a bummer of a last season for CSN.

·
Rise up from ignorance
17,647 Posts
Neither Kvitova nor Halep have played pro tennis for 20 years. If they had I might accept calling them veterans, but Halep hasn't even made it to ten years. Again, that's why I mentioned Peschke.No, I haven't, but nobody called people like Tracy Austin or Andrea Jaeger a "veteran." Would you say the same about Sofya Zhuk or Ana Konjuh (if her comeback doesn't happen)?Nobody's suggested that. I simply quoted what I had found on some random website. Maybe the American obsession with shortening everything has corrupted the true meaning of "veteran" into something else which only they recognise.
I'm not an American and I don't read US tennis media at all so if I'm "corrupted" as well then it comes from a different source. It's called common sense. Just because Venus Williams doesn't have a better idea for a life than playing tennis as age 40 it doesn't mean I won't call a 30 year old like Kvitova a veteran. Because she is a veteran IMO.

·
Registered
31,662 Posts
Halep now has spent more than 10 seasons as a top 100 player and Kvitova has been a top 100 player since 2008. They are veterans.

You don't need to be Navratilova circa 2004 to be called a veteran.

·
Registered
640 Posts
For Halep it's about building a legacy.

For Pliskova it's about finally winning a Slam.

For Kvitova it's about ranking World No. 1,

God knows when we can have normal tennis. These days I also see a lot of surprise results. What if there are breaks between tournaments? What if players get sick? A lot of questions. 1-2 years break would be a career disaster.
That would nice for them sure, but it's not a disaster because they are filthy rich...all of them...Pliskova will be fine if she never wins a slam...Kvitova will be fine if she never gets #1...Halep would be fine if she fell off a horse and has to retire tomorrow a la Maureen Connolly...i mean no one is saying OMG THE HORROR if these things don't happen...

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
For Halep and Kvitova, there isn't much more they can do to change how their legacy is viewed. Would it be nice for them to win another slam or 2? Sure, but unless they end their careers with 6+ slams, nobody will view them any differently than they currently do.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
35 is the new 30 in sports, I don't really think of Pliskova or Halep as old. I guess Kerber is getting up there now, but I still wouldn't write her off

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
I'm don't really have a vested interest any of those players, so whatever. If covid-19 ends them, I really couldn't care less.

I'm more excited about the under-25's.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts