Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Well, Simona said that she needed the pandemic break to realise how much she missed tennis and she now wants to retire in 3-5 years instead of 2-3 as she said before the pandemic. Tho if further Slams and especially JO get cancelled in 2021, then probably yes, her career will be affected.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
No, none of those will retire in the short term, they will all want to retire after a full season, not like this.

Karolina is only 28, & petra is only 30. Unless they really have lost any desire, they and Simona will keep going.

And even though there may be less money in tournaments for the foreseeable future due to Covid19, it's still one of the best paid jobs to have, and you can never have enough money.

·
Registered
652 Posts
None of these players need to play another tennis match in their life if they don't want to...no disaster here...

Reactions: Be kind

·
Banned
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Eh, they already have their money

It is the young players about to break through who it really sucks for
For Halep it's about building a legacy.

For Pliskova it's about finally winning a Slam.

For Kvitova it's about ranking World No. 1,

God knows when we can have normal tennis. These days I also see a lot of surprise results. What if there are breaks between tournaments? What if players get sick? A lot of questions. 1-2 years break would be a career disaster.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Imagine the stress on young, up and coming players who haven't solidified their finances. If this goes on for 2 seasons (with starts and stops), it could wipe out a lot of players who have no choice but to move onto something else.
Bianca and Kenin must be counting themselves lucky to have snagged the last 2 slams before this pandemic era.

·
Registered
31,682 Posts
Imagine the stress on young, up and coming players who haven't solidified their finances. If this goes on for 2 seasons (with starts and stops), it could wipe out a lot of players who have no choice but to move onto something else.
I also feel like it will decimate a lot of young players that rely on parents mortgaging their house for the fourth time, local sponsorships or fundraisings.. Tennis Canada has already said they won't be able to support players looking to make the transition from the juniors to the pros for the next 2-3 years and most local corner shops and family businesses are struggling big time and don't have the budget to throw a couple of grand to fund a 16 y.o. tennis trip to South America.

·
Registered
114,036 Posts
It depends how much they love the sport and if they stay healthy
I never thought Wozniacki would retire in her 20's and she was in semis in 2 of her last 3 tournaments including a mandatory
I do expect players like Andreescu, Barty and Osaka to make it very tough on the veterans next year or 2

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
Yeah agreed. Tennis isn't the most financially secure profession and coupled with a bad economy, tennis is unfortunately going to hemorrhage a lot of potential talent. Imagine a potential ATG being unable to play because they can't get any good sponsors thanks to this crisis. Sadly we will never really know what we missed.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
"Veterans?" Wash your mouth out with soap! The only real "veteran" on tour, and even she would probably take issue with you over the term, is Kveta Peschke. How can you POSSIBLY call someone in their twenties a "veteran?"

·
Registered
8,435 Posts
The veterans
Those entering their prime
Juniors who want to graduate to professional
ITF journeywoman

Did we miss any tennis players nearing extinction due to covid?

·
Banned
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"Veterans?" Wash your mouth out with soap! The only real "veteran" on tour, and even she would probably take issue with you over the term, is Kveta Peschke. How can you POSSIBLY call someone in their twenties a "veteran?"
In singles they are already veterans. Well, Kvitova, Halep and Pliskova heading to. Look at Kerber, she has stopped playing and is only 32 years old!

If I were an athlete, I wouldn't see myself retired until I was about 36-37 years old. With the same good results. I felt like I was in my prime when I was 27, but even at Kerber's age I didn't feel powerless. If you readjust your game, you can easily maintain yourself and even win trophies at over 32 years old. There are a lot of methods today that didn't exist before. For recovery and performance improvement.

A much bigger disaster for those in or entering their prime.
For all, but those maybe will return stronger. Halep and Pliskova only have a few years left, it depends on their body. And sometimes so far these veterans have certainly been relaxed.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
In singles they are already veterans. Well, Kvitova, Halep and Pliskova heading to. Look at Kerber, she has stopped playing and is only 32 years old!
No, they're not. "Veteran" as a sporting term is actually defined in many competitions (even if modified to be called "President's Grade" or "Seniors" or something similar, for example), and doesn't generally apply to anyone under 40, which is why I mentioned Peschke. Just because someone has been a tennis pro for 10 years doesn't necessarily make them a veteran. Experienced? Sure.

Some Americans might consider playing for more than three of four years makes someone a "veteran," as I saw in a random thread on an NBA fan website when I Googled this, but that makes a complete mockery of the English language.

·
Banned
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
More exactly, but in America yes. Maybe in Australia not. It's tennis veteran, not war veteran. What do you propose instead of it?

·
Rise up from ignorance
17,665 Posts
No, they're not. "Veteran" as a sporting term is actually defined in many competitions (even if modified to be called "President's Grade" or "Seniors" or something similar, for example), and doesn't generally apply to anyone under 40, which is why I mentioned Peschke. Just because someone has been a tennis pro for 10 years doesn't necessarily make them a veteran. Experienced? Sure.

Some Americans might consider playing for more than three of four years makes someone a "veteran," as I saw in a random thread on an NBA fan website when I Googled this, but that makes a complete mockery of the English language.
If you play tennis for 20+ years, you are a veteran, period. You probably forgot the days when tennis players retired at age 25? Kvitova and Halep are obviously tennis veterans at this stage of their careers and I sure don't need Google's approval here.

Reactions: faboozadoo15

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
If you play tennis for 20+ years, you are a veteran, period.
Neither Kvitova nor Halep have played pro tennis for 20 years. If they had I might accept calling them veterans, but Halep hasn't even made it to ten years. Again, that's why I mentioned Peschke.
You probably forgot the days when tennis players retired at age 25?
No, I haven't, but nobody called people like Tracy Austin or Andrea Jaeger a "veteran." Would you say the same about Sofya Zhuk or Ana Konjuh (if her comeback doesn't happen)?
I sure don't need Google's approval here.
Nobody's suggested that. I simply quoted what I had found on some random website. Maybe the American obsession with shortening everything has corrupted the true meaning of "veteran" into something else which only they recognise.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts