1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From The Age Newspaper today:

Kylie has two left feet but a great bum - stylist

Thursday 7 February 2002

Kylie Minogue has two left feet but a great bum, her stylist says.

Englishman Will Baker, 28, has picked clothes, songs and choreography teachers for the Australian pop star for the past three years and is widely credited with her resurgence in popularity.

Baker was the one who squeezed Minogue, 33, into the gold leather hotpants - bought for 50p in a charity shop - in the video for her comeback hit Spinning Around in 2000.

He also commissioned unknown designer Fiona Doran to make the white-hooded, dramatically split white outfit she wore in the video for Can't Get You Out of My Head, a song which went to No.1 in 19 countries.

"Kylie's best asset is her bum," Baker told British newspaper the Daily Telegraph.

advertisement

advertisement
"But she's gorgeous everywhere else, too. There's a shot in Spinning Around where we zoom in on the arch of her foot in these ridiculously high sandals. God, it's sexy."

Baker is also the personal stylist of Jamiroquai singer Jay Kay, but admits that Kylie is his obsession.

"Kylie is talented, but in a different way," he said.

"She's a brilliant actress. The pop star image comes from her acting and, bless her, she can't dance. People like Jennifer Lopez and Madonna can, so we have to compensate with clothes and close-ups of that bottom."

Baker met Minogue when he was a theology student working part time as a sales assistant in designer Vivienne Westwood's London shop.

He became aware of the role of stylists, who would come into the shop to borrow clothes.

"I can remember seeing a Kylie video, around the time of Better the Devil You Know, and thinking, 'I could do better than that'," he said.

"One day, she came into the shop. I just leapt over the counter and bombarded her with ideas.

"She probably thought I was some mad stalker, but she listened and took me for a coffee over the road."

Minogue said Baker was a visionary.

"Everyone who meets him finds him unforgettable," she said.

"Over the years, we have become somewhat joined at the hip and developed a relationship where we collaborate on nearly every creative aspect of my career."

-AAP

·
Banned
5,664 Posts
I'd agree with that, although I have seen her live a few times and she can dance a bit, it just isn't her strong point, as for the hot pants, well actually Kylie got them, yes for 50p and she wanted to wear them in the video, so I think Baker is over-extending his influence just a touch on that one. Also Doran has been a long time friend of Kylies, so not sure he had any influence there either. I think Kylies quote says it all though...

"Over the years, we have become somewhat joined at the hip and developed a relationship where we collaborate on nearly every creative aspect of my career."

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now, if only Madonna would be brave enough to let her stylist out of the bag!

·
Banned
5,664 Posts
lol...Madonna is ok..there are not many female artists in their 40's that still can be considered up there! (although that could be a sad indictment on music, if age is a telling factor)

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
True. BTW, I'm not putting either of them down. I think that both are doing their jobs well- ie entertaining millions, and providing their fans with what they want. I haven't heard anyone go away from kylie's concert disappointed.

But it goes to show you the work involved in presenting an entertainer to the world.......

·
Banned
5,664 Posts
I think it goes for any artist, they wish to look, sound and be their best out there and with the workload, they have to hire people to help in these areas. That is applicable from the goddesses (Striesand etc)..right down to the newer artists.

If you look at Kylie at the moment, this whirlwind promo tour of America, she is up half the night with leno etc, then on radio 7am witk LA kiss (I think that is it)..doing print interviews, video interviews, public appearances, it's hell and I'm sure the last thing she really wants to think about totally is what she is wearing next :)

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Beige, thanks for letting us know. I'm not really a fan of hers, but best of luck to her! She has worked really hard putting out 2 albums back to back with 2 major toiurs in between, plus this promotional stint etc. She si a stayer, and has paid her dues, and deserves all her success.

I like to read what she is up to from time to time, as she is an Aussie girl made good!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BTW, I think her best record is the Drizabone mix of Put Yourself in my Place, and I like Better the devil, Shocked, and Word is out

1 - 12 of 12 Posts