Tennis Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was lookin at the thread where everyone was predicting what the top ten would be in three years and i was thinking it would be interesting to have a look at how the top ten looked in august 2000, and think what we would have predicted it to be in 2003, and how different or the same it is.

Well here is how the top ten looked in this very week exactly three years ago......

1. Martina Hingis
2. Lindsay Davenport
3. Venus Williams
4. Mary Pierce
5. Monica Seles
6. Conchita Martinez
7. Serena Williams
8. Nathalie Tauziat
9. Anke Huber
10. Arantxa Sanchez Vicario

Well, in three short years, only three players still remain (Venus, linzi and Serena).

Who would have thought it? I reckon most people would have predicted that in august 2003 Hingis would have certainly have still been a top three player. They would have predicted Venus would be celebrating 100 weeks at #1 or something, that Linzi would still be top 5(which she is i guess). I think they would have predicted that Anna would be in the top 5 and although some would have said Serena would be firmly in the top 2 or 3, I think some would have said she might not still be there, due to many peoples opinions at the timme, she didnt have teh fight, or desire, or focus to do it as she had been lingering around, showing flashes in one off tournaments but had yet to string it together.

Certainly - NO-ONE ON THIS EARTH WOULD HAVE SAID CAPRIATI WOULD HAVE WRAPPED UP THREE SLAMS AND THE #1 RANKING BY 2003!!!!

I think plenty would have predicted Kims rise into the top ten, but many would have also predicted Krasnoroutskaya, Bedanova, Dokic, Lucic and Stevenson.

Its funny to look at it now....

1. Serena Williams
2. Kim Clijsters
3. Justine Henin-Hardenne
4. Lindsay Davenport
5. Venus Williams
6. Amelie Mauresmo
7. Jennifer Capriati
8. Chanda Rubin
9. Daniella Hantuchova
10. Anastacia Myskina

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.