Tennis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
have you been dissapointed with these 2 players? i thought they would be steady top 100 players. they are doing ok fokina is #169 and voskoboeva is #187 but i've been a bit dissapointed with how fast they've moved up the ranks. i thought they would be top 150 by now and would be in wta qualifying events.

·
Registered
115,212 Posts
The player whose development has been a disappointment to me is Anna Bastrikova. It seems as if she's disappeared. Anyone know if she is represented by a management company? Anna B. has marketing possibilities.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah anna b is very good looking and she has been dissappointing. she did go back and play some junior matches earlier this year i think.

but what about fokina and voskoboeva?

·
Registered
115,212 Posts
It's tough to break out of the challengers and on to the tour.
Voskoboeva just got to the quarters in Zhukovskiy. That was a 25k.
Fokina played a 75k in Italy. She couldn't get through to the main draw.
Fokina did win a round in the KC back in 2001.

Edit: I've never seen either play. So I don't know if they have top 50 talent. I've never seen Anna B., either, but her name was used with Maria K., and Anna B. is almost 18 now.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the player i'm most dissapointed with is afinogenova. she was meant to be a very very good player and look what she's done so far. i was surprised earlier in the year when she got a wildcard into the the qualies of a wta event, i think it was scottsdale but i'm not certain. anyway she won a match and then took razzano to 3 sets and at that time razzano was playing great tennis so i still have hope for her. but it's always heartbreaking with the young players that challeng the top 100/top 50 players when they play in the wta events but when they go and play the challengers they lose easily to virtually unknowns.

·
Premium Member
182,023 Posts
Fokina is very flaky.
she's our version of Patty in style of play and in the brain(less) category, and as well as her performances (to a lower level)
she's been stuck in around 175-200 range for 3 yrs now :(

Galina V has progressed slowly
this is her 1st real yr on tour and she's moved up ok
won a $25k
she's too inconsistent.

·
Premium Member
182,023 Posts
Anna B's had a really really terrible year :sad:
just lacking confidence this yr
started badly and continued on :sad: :sad:

even went back to juniors (only to play for Russia in U18 events) and not much better luck there :(

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Yes GL, Anna Bastrikova has a management company. But she will have to play much better tennis to be able to receive endorsements. And that alone should be a great incentive for her.

While it's been a good year for alot of the Russina's, some of them have really struggled. :( I hope those who have struggled this year have fine comeback years next year. :)

·
Premium Member
182,023 Posts
Anna B played in Batumi this week
won 2 quali matches but lost to 16 yr old Yakimava :(

Anna B also named as a 3rd player with Douchevina/Kirilenko for Russia U18 Summer Cup finals in Oct.

·
Registered
115,212 Posts
If Anna B. isn't playing well, and fell out of the top 400, why was she picked for this team?
Why not Kutuzova?

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
goldenlox said:
If Anna B. isn't playing well, and fell out of the top 400, why was she picked for this team?
Why not Kutuzova?
Kutuzova plays for the Ukraine

·
Registered
115,212 Posts
Thanks ZAK, I've never looked at Vika's bio. I just made a wrong assumption.
I'm still unsure why Anna B. was picked along with two players who are viewed as a big part of the future of Russian tennis.
But it's a great opportunity for Anna. I'd like to see her use it to impress.

·
Premium Member
182,023 Posts
Anna will be used for doubles in likely scenario anyway
cant see her playing singles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts