Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
53,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
nice fight from Townsend , especially up to 75 1/0 BPs for 2/0 , from then on Muguruza was more aggressive and controlled the match

TT had a final resurgence saving 3 consecutive MPs on her serve at 5/1 but that was it

congrats Garbiñe, slow start, a bit of a scare, but nicely recovered .
First winner on beautiful new Simonne Mathieu court

and an exquisite on court interview, in French s'il vous plaît, with Bartoli (who asked the questions in English ... :weirdo: ) :hearts:

on to round 2 :drive:

·
Registered
87,523 Posts
Mug :yeah:

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
I’ll take it :lol:

She looked ok by the end. Jo-La next

·
Registered
23,257 Posts
it's not getting easier for garbs, at least she avoided the upset.

·
Registered
8,905 Posts
Mug played more like her old self in those last two sets. Aggressive ball striking, attacking the net. She even hit two perfect drop shots in that final serve game. Definitely a dark horse here, especially since there is no on court coaching. ?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Didn’t see the first set set so I am assuming it was just a brain fart.

Second 2 sets were pretty clinical, smacking winners left and right with some beautiful down the line shots off both wings.

She always looks so comfortable at RG - easy to see why she’s made the second week so many times - and I have more confidence in her FH there. The ball seems to sit up into her strike zone better here than on hard. Even the FH errors she did have were very close and not the usual foot longs that she often throws in.

Watch her go and lose to Larson now I’ve send that.

·
Registered
8,678 Posts
Taylor started very brightly and indeed looked slimmer and trimmer than I ever remember her. Garbine was rushing things a bit too much. But from the second Garbine really knuckled down and imposed herself on the match and apart from a few Taylor flurries at the end of the final set, she really took control. All in all, a good start from Garbine once she got into the match. Taylor, there were moments, particularly good net play and point construction in set one, but it can't help her that she plays so many ITF and $125k matches, she just is not used to playing top 20 players on a regular basis and had no real answer once Garbine raised her game.

·
Premium Member
44,229 Posts
Garbiñe ended to expose Taylor's lack of consistency. Encouraging I would say. The Spanish can improve round after round.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
She should make R3 at least, then we'll see what happens with Svitolina. The second-week streak here will be broken AND she'll lose a shitload of points but its for the best, no way she's a Top 20 player.

For someone who only plays in American Townsend was great, reminded me why literally everyone talks about her as a huge talent in the States.

Reactions: TERRASTAR18

·
Registered
551 Posts
Didn’t see the first set set so I am assuming it was just a brain fart.
I think the first set was more about Taylor's level being higher than usual to be honest. She played excellent tennis in that set, both offensively and defensively. From set two onwards she couldn't find the same consistency on the aggression and so had to let Garbine dictate, and that's usually a losing strategy. By the end of the match I don't think Taylor had it in her to actually successfully defend anymore either, which is why you saw Garbine hitting winners for fun.

It was a good match from Garbine and she might have won even if Taylor kept up her first set level but I wouldn't take too much encouragement just yet.

·
Registered
13,509 Posts
Taylor's game is so beautiful, you could really see it on display in that first set. Really hoping for a good grass season for her. It's so refreshing to watch a woman play with spin, not just slices and junkballs but also heavy topspin off the groundstrokes. Her lefty serve can have great placement as well but isn't a consistent weapon.

·
Registered
16,648 Posts
Girls like Townsend and Brengle just came to get their R1 paycheck.

·
Registered
12,677 Posts
Garbine :yeah: :)

Didn't see the 1st set ( :eek: ) but she was pretty good in the other 2. :shrug:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts