Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1973 French Open Final On Video

Does anyone know how to get a copy of the Women's Singles Final from 1973 (Court def. Evert)?

·
25,876 Posts
Tennisvideos will know if anyone does Alfa. I'd suggest you send him a private message.

Lets just hope there IS a video of it. I don't know when the French started televising women's finals, though I have seen pieces form the 1974 final.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks- already have corresponded with him- and am going to purchase a couple of matches, but he doesn't have that one. He has the feelers out for it, but I'm afraid it may be a lost cause. I had a conversation with another tennis video collector a few years back, and apparently the French Tennis Federation has some footage from this match, but not the complete match. I'm just trying to find anything at this point- it was the match of the year for 1973- and that year was the best year ever for women's tennis in my opinion.

·
25,876 Posts
Best of luck. 15 minutes. Grrrr....

1973 was a cool year. Maybe it deserves it's own threrad, being a 30 year anniversery and all...

Which matches did you buy? When I get funds I'm thinking of getting Bueno-Court from 1964. My fav early match is King-Goolagong from the 1974 US Open, some of those points!

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am going to start with the Edberg-Cash Australian Open from 1987 and go from there. I don't have any footage from the old Kooyong Stadium, and would really like to see footage from the old White City tournament in Sydney. The White City club is struggling to stave off the wrecking ball, and the rest of the tennis world will suffer a great loss if this happens!!!

I have the 1964 Wimbledon Final (Italian voice), and the 3rd set of the 1974 U.S. Open. I'd like to get ahold of the whole match in its entirety. My other major mission is to get as much footage of Lew Hoad as possible- what a player!

·
25,876 Posts
There's a new book on Hoad out by his wife Jenny. She was a talented young lass who never quite made it. When they eloped on tour I (in Enlgand I think) Aussie officials were furious with them both.

Isn't that 74 match the best? I don't have any Kooyong matches either, I'm thinking of getting an Evert-Navratilova match (81-2 or 5) if I can.

What part of Oz are you from?

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not from Oz- Pennsylvania. I have a friend who lives in Canberra, and I was down to visit last January and got a grand tour, and even got to play some tennis on red clay, believe it or not. I'm definitely going back, but probably not before 2005.

Have you ever seen the entire 1970 Wimbledon Final (Court def. King)?

·
25,876 Posts
[email protected] me thinking you were an Aussie. I'm down in Maryland.

I've never seen the entire 1970 Wimby final, but I know King thought it was a horrible match, and she's probably right as both women were hurting. What I saw was during a rain delay years ago-so I could be totally wrong.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I actually have my footage from that rain delay at Wimbledon years ago. It was during the Navratilova/Graf final in 1987 that they showed the final set of the 1970 final. I'd like to see the first set and be my own judge, though, because Billie Jean King is such a self-centered person when it comes to recounting past matches. Many of them she won't even discuss, but sometimes I think that's just champion arrogance that they all have to have at some time in order to be #1

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Tennisvideos and others,

Have you seen or do you remember seeing the 1973 FO final between Chris and Margaret Court. I have just read a little about it, and apparently, the match was a pearler. I think tha final score was Court def Evert 6-7, 7-6, 6-4.

Any thoughts or comments would be much appreciated.......

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BCP said:
Tennisvideos and others,

Have you seen or do you remember seeing the 1973 FO final between Chris and Margaret Court. I have just read a little about it, and apparently, the match was a pearler. I think tha final score was Court def Evert 6-7, 7-6, 6-4.

Any thoughts or comments would be much appreciated.......
By most accounts, it was the match of the year for 1973. I have been trying to get a copy of this match for a while now, with no luck. Apparently French Television only has bits of the match left, and I have yet to find anyone who might have access to it.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Chris was dating Jimmy at this time and constantly arguing with her mother because she was acting as chaperone. Chris's form was up and down because of this, and by accounts, she got a little frustrated when she couldn't shake Marg off and basically the match fell away.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
louloubelle said:
Chris was dating Jimmy at this time and constantly arguing with her mother because she was acting as chaperone. Chris's form was up and down because of this, and by accounts, she got a little frustrated when she couldn't shake Marg off and basically the match fell away.
She had also just lost the Italian Open final to the flowing shotmaking of Evonne Goolagong, who was wildly popular with the Italian crowd- in fact, from what I have read, their final was the first women's match that drew a crowd at the Foro Italico. Suffice to say Chris didn't enjoy having the crowd root against her. It wasn't a happy time for her, however, she did get to take advantage of a Margaret Court with flu at Wimbledon a few weeks later, and defeated her in 3 sets in the semis- an odd result considering the surface. It was the only match Margaret Court lost in Grand Slam play that year- but you knew that, Louloubelle! :)

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
6-1 1-6 6-1 was the score for Chrissie's win over Mags. What a wierd match.

I too would love to see the French Open final of 73. It sounds amazing. I think Mags took out Evonne in the semis as well. 1973 was another banner year for that tough old broad!

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mark36 said:
6-1 1-6 6-1 was the score for Chrissie's win over Mags. What a wierd match.

I too would love to see the French Open final of 73. It sounds amazing. I think Mags took out Evonne in the semis as well. 1973 was another banner year for that tough old broad!
Yeah, it must have been weird. Madge was taking antibiotics for a week before Wimbledon, and she developed a reaction to them: fever/chills- thermostat off and on, and the energy swings- explains the weird score, because she was on a roll the entire second set, and then collapsed.

She did get Chrissie back in the semis of the U.S. Open at Forest Hills. I'd also love to see that match- probably going to be easier to find than the 73 French Open. I don't know of too much French Open women's singles footage in existence prior to 1980. They, like the Italians, didn't embrace women's tennis until relatively later.

ANYBODY OUT THERE HAVING MARGARET COURT OR EVONNE GOOLAGONG CLASSIC FOOTAGE, PLEASE LET ME KNOW- I MAY HAVE SOMETHING YOU ARE LOOKING FOR!!!

·
25,876 Posts

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Ok ladies and gents-at last-a clip of the 1973 final. Maybe we can get them to make the full match for sale?

First set tiebreak

http://www.ina.fr/archivespourtous/...rt Lloyd, Chris&num_notice=3&total_notices=24

The camera view at the start is tres horrible-but it gets better. The second clip picks up at 5-5 in the second set.

http://www.ina.fr/archivespourtous/...rt Lloyd, Chris&num_notice=2&total_notices=24

Let's just call you "Rollo the magnificent." What a treasure! Wouldn't it be just wonderful if this full match is available after all? I had given up hope of ever seeing any of it, so even a few points are great. If there's anything we can do to persuade the powers that be, then let us know.

By the way, just these few points remind me again of how strong Court was from the backcourt. Just one thing: the first clip for me was the Evert-Morozova 74 final from Paris, which I have. Is there perhaps more of the Court-Evert match?

Thanks a bunch for finding and sharing!

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Oh, my goodness! This is such a tease; it really must have been an outstanding match. With no fellow BFTP-ers to share this with, I had to drag my wife down here to watch it with me. Even she is impressed!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts