Tennis Forum banner

81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
113,486 Posts
I think US Open will happen. They are playing Golf now. NBA, MLB and NHL are all planning to return. NFL starts training camp in July
A lot of the best women are in Charleston now, and the WTT starting in a few weeks in the US will have fans
So I dont know why there wont be tennis tournaments. But lets see what happens.
I said all along sports would be back this summer and every sport is either back, or planning their return right now. Tennis should be the easiest along with golf. There is no reason they cant play. You can go play it now in most of the world.
Is any local government anywhere in the world closing all tennis courts now? It seems the first sport that politicians would allow people to play
But I understand what Flipkens and Kyrgios are saying and they dont have to play if they dont want to

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Just saw an amazing stat for covid in NYC, which is sometimes referred to as Gotham, the Rotten Apple, etc.
The stat is on the gothamist.com covid stat site. Covid stats for NYC.
About 12,000 people over 65 have died of covid in NYC, BUT only 5 of those 12,000 didn't have an underlying illness.
If those stats are true, even older healthy people are not seriously effected by covid.
Young people from 0 to 17 only had 1 death with no underlying illness.
About 100 people between 18 and 65 died of covid with no underlying illness, so the stats of only 5 out of 12,000 over 65 y/o people dying of covid might be wrong, or most people over 65 have an underlying illness.
You mean this? You forgot to mention the medical background investigations aren't done yet.

·
Registered
66 Posts
However many times you repeat that falsehood, the truth remains the same: a coast to coast COVID surge across many states... even in the northeast.

If this trend continues and spreads to NY itself in the coming weeks, then we're back to square one. Ultimately it's down to Cuomo, de Blasio et al, they may shut down the US Open even if Stacey Allaster wants to keep it going. It's not even in her hands.
Do the numbers you are posting account for the greater number tests made? When you test more people you find more infected. It is expected that you get more infected people as testing capabilities advance.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
You mean this? You forgot to mention the medical background investigations aren't done yet.
View attachment 177462
Thanks for posting. I don't know if the stats are complete or even true, but the indication is that people with no underlying illness have a very low death rate from covid. Even the elderly have a very low death rate, but it would be difficult to find an elderly person with no illnesses and that includes things like high blood pressure and excess fat.

·
Premium Member
3,592 Posts
I think US Open will happen. They are playing Golf now. NBA, MLB and NHL are all planning to return. NFL starts training camp in July
A lot of the best women are in Charleston now, and the WTT starting in a few weeks in the US will have fans
So I dont know why there wont be tennis tournaments. But lets see what happens.
I said all along sports would be back this summer and every sport is either back, or planning their return right now. Tennis should be the easiest along with golf. There is no reason they cant play. You can go play it now in most of the world.
Is any local government anywhere in the world closing all tennis courts now? It seems the first sport that politicians would allow people to play
But I understand what Flipkens and Kyrgios are saying and they dont have to play if they dont want to
The NBA, NHL and MBL will all be canned soon. The NBA has over 20 Players now who have COVID-19 and they plan to resume the Season in Florida of all States. It's irresponsible to hold any Events in that State!

·
Registered
113,486 Posts
I think it will be tough for most team sports. But tennis is different from a team sport, and thats clear from all the exhibitions going on around the world.
Tennis in a small draw looks as safe as any activity. If the US Open can handle a big draw, it should mean tennis tournaments the rest of the year

·
Registered
15,126 Posts
Do the numbers you are posting account for the greater number tests made? When you test more people you find more infected. It is expected that you get more infected people as testing capabilities advance.
That's fuzzy math

(doesnt' take into account that we not only have the positvie but also the negative results and their respective trends, so there should be no confusion caused by advances in capability).

Even more significantly, that exact bullshit live has been peddled by one man: Trump — he literally said it the other day in order to explain away the surge (since he's afraid that will further make him crater in the polls).

The numbers I posted are not open for debate. They are the very latest scientific consensus between all involved from the orange-utan's own federal entities like the CDC/Faucci/Birx down to private uni research like Johns Hopkins and various other covid stat keepers and counters. That COVID is surging in the states is totally undisputed — that's why even Republican governors are re-closing bars (that they just had reopened a few weeks ago). This is all stuff that became news this very week, while the tennis world was distracted by Djoko gate. So I'm afraid I'm not even gonna debate with you if you choose to take the side of the rapist racist muppet in the white house and defy and dispute these latest official developments — you are entitled to your opinion, but not to your own facts.

·
Registered
66 Posts
That's fuzzy math

(doesnt' take into account that we not only have the positvie but also the negative results and their respective trends, so there should be no confusion caused by advances in capability).

Even more significantly, that exact bullshit live has been peddled by one man: Trump — he literally said it the other day in order to explain away the surge (since he's afraid that will further make him crater in the polls).

The numbers I posted are not open for debate. They are the very latest scientific consensus between all involved from the orange-utan's own federal entities like the CDC/Faucci/Birx down to private uni research like Johns Hopkins and various other covid stat keepers and counters. That COVID is surging in the states is totally undisputed — that's why even Republican governors are re-closing bars (that they just had reopened a few weeks ago). This is all stuff that became news this very week, while the tennis world was distracted by Djoko gate. So I'm afraid I'm not even gonna debate with you if you choose to take the side of the rapist racist muppet in the white house and defy and dispute these latest official developments — you are entitled to your opinion, but not to your own facts.
Unlike you, I have no political agenda. Unlike you, I am well versed in math and statistics.
I am just saying that a better statistic would be a comparison between PERCENTAGE positive tests in May vs June. Absolute number of people infected is meaningless in that context.
An important absolute number would be number of people in intensive care. As far as I know, this is not exploding, but declining.
If what I described is not understandable by you, but you keep pushing your point, you are no better than the muppet in the White House that you mentioned.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Unlike you, I have no political agenda. Unlike you, I am well versed in math and statistics.
I am just saying that a better statistic would be a comparison between PERCENTAGE positive tests in May vs June. Absolute number of people infected is meaningless in that context.
An important absolute number would be number of people in intensive care. As far as I know, this is not exploding, but declining.
If what I described is not understandable by you, but you keep pushing your point, you are no better than the muppet in the White House that you mentioned.
You are absolutely right the number of positive tests doesn't really tell you that much on it's own. There are sites out there like this one that give you the percentage positive which gives a more complete picture.

If you check on NY you will see it is currently doing well in this regard. The question is can the tri-state area keep it's numbers down while there is a surge going on in the South.

·
Registered
15,126 Posts
Political or not, your math is Trumpian.

Cause if as you insist, quote "When you test more people you find more infected", that means if we reduce the testing then we'll see less infected cases ... and if we stop testing then we have zero cases!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Political or not, your math is Trumpian.

Cause if as you insist, quote "When you test more people you find more infected", that means if we reduce the testing then we'll see less infected cases ... and if we stop testing then we have zero cases!

I am truly amazed by this post, but I will not pursue this further. I will just urge you to consider if your political views are clouding your judgement on the matter.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
The positivity rate (percentage of positive tests) in Florida was over the 5% threshhold for the last two weeks and is on a rising slope. WHO says that if the positivity is more than 5% you basically are not testing enough! You want this data, here it is (19 states are in the red):

·
Art & Futures
20,428 Posts
they could just make it non-mandatory points, or cut the points in half

·
Art & Futures
20,428 Posts
NYC Marathon already canceled and it's the first week in November. How could the USTA not cancel? Greed?

race running - to the point of exhaustion, all across an urban city - is a much different sport

·
Registered
234 Posts
It's kind of amusing to see all of these journeymen and journeywomen post on Twitter about these issues as if the tennis establishment, tournament organizers and fans actually cared about their opinions. From Tara Moore to Sascha Vickery and now Flipkens: Keep kicking and screaming. Everyone knows that if the US Open is on, you'll eventually show up to collect your big fat check after losing in the first round.
What a bunch of morons.
this, in a nutshell, bang average players looking for applause from the back to make them feel relevant.

·
Registered
113,486 Posts
A player should be allowed to give their opinion. But plenty want to play and are playing exhibitions today. Keys just beat Kenin
This process seems to be working. Bigger and bigger exhibitions, then a small event in Washington DC, then Cincy in NY, then the major
I like this, and so far, no problems except for Nole, who should have used some distancing in his exhibition

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yeah, it's hard to say what's going to win out at this point. The optics of what's going on in the USA overall is very bad, even though NYC has it mostly under control. However, it just feels inevitable that NYC rates will start climbing again soon. People are basically not social distancing anymore on weekends.

81 - 100 of 104 Posts