·
Registered
15,126 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Bullshit.

It's surging from coast to coast.
NY is literally the same, decreasing, during both time periods. NY is where Cincinatti and the US Open are being played. If New York starts posting record high numbers like in other states, then you can start talking about the feasibility of holding the US Open. But going on about how the virus is surging in Florida or Arizona simply isn't directly relevant to what's going on in NY, where cases are still decreasing as the graph you posted shows.

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
Despite what happened with Djokovic, the chances of getting the coronavirus at the U.S Open, with all their safety protocols that will be in place will be extremely small, if at all.
With a world population of 7.8 Billion people, ONLY around 9&1/2 million people have ever contracted it, not that many really,( These are current Stats)
If Flipkens or anyone else doesn't feel safe, DON'T PLAY, i'm sure someone one will happily take their places.
Quite to the contrary my friend! If they used the Charter/Group Flights they wanted to do I would have agreed with you but now I don't.

It's pretty easy to get coronavirus while travelling and Players outside the Top 100 don't have the luxury to arrive into New York via Private Jet. They have to use Commercial Airlines to get there!

·
Registered
15,126 Posts
NY is literally the same, decreasing, during both time periods. NY is where Cincinatti and the US Open are being played. If New York starts posting record high numbers like in other states, then you can start talking about the feasibility of holding the US Open. But going on about how the virus is surging in Florida or Arizona simply isn't directly relevant to what's going on in NY, where cases are still decreasing as the graph you posted shows.
However many times you repeat that falsehood, the truth remains the same: a coast to coast COVID surge across many states... even in the northeast.

If this trend continues and spreads to NY itself in the coming weeks, then we're back to square one. Ultimately it's down to Cuomo, de Blasio et al, they may shut down the US Open even if Stacey Allaster wants to keep it going. It's not even in her hands.

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
However many times you repeat that falsehood, the truth remains the same: a coast to coast COVID surge across many states... even in the northeast.

If this trend continues and spreads to NY itself in the coming weeks, then we're back to square one. Ultimately it's down to Cuomo, de Blasio et al, they may shut down the US Open even if Stacey Allaster wants to keep it going. It's not even in her hands.
You nailed it pretty nicely here! It's out of their control. Cuomo & de Blasio + their Officials will decide.

I am totally flummoxed that so many people here on TF acting like all Players will get to NYC safe and sound so we can start the Tourney.
It won't happen! I guarantee you there will be more than one Player infected upon arrival in NYC!

·
Registered
77 Posts

I am not sure what falsehood you think I am repeating. I don't bring up Arizona and Florida because I am trying to imply that they are the only places in America where COVID cases are increasing at all; I bring them up because they are two of the states where things are increasing the most, and they are representative of their respective regions which are the two regions contributing the most heavily to the high numbers you're seeing out of America at the moment. If you are implying that the outbreak is uniform across America, then you are the one repeating falsehoods. The West and South are undeniably being hit harder at the moment than the Northeast and the Midwest. The virus is absolutely surging in the West and South in a way that you can't claim it is in the Northeast and Midwest, this is best exemplified by how large of an increase in the positive test rates we are seeing throughout the West and South while the positive test rates for the Midwest and Northeast mostly remain stagnant or declining.

All this talk about coasts and regions is moot anyways, our sole focus should be on what's going on in New York as there aren't any WTA events for the rest of the year elsewhere in America. If the virus starts surging in New York, then we'll talk about it then. Until then, why get ahead of ourselves?

I don't know who claimed anything is in Stacey's hands; obviously the NY gov will have the final say on whether the event is held or not. So far, the NY gov has been supportive but we'll see if that continues to hold as the event gets closer and the situation develops.

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
I am not sure what falsehood you think I am repeating. I don't bring up Arizona and Florida because I am trying to imply that they are the only places in America where COVID cases are increasing at all; I bring them up because they are two of the states where things are increasing the most, and they are representative of their respective regions which are the two regions contributing the most heavily to the high numbers you're seeing out of America at the moment. If you are implying that the outbreak is uniform across America, then you are the one repeating falsehoods. The West and South are undeniably being hit harder at the moment than the Northeast and the Midwest. The virus is absolutely surging in the West and South in a way that you can't claim it is in the Northeast and Midwest, this is best exemplified by how large of an increase in the positive test rates we are seeing throughout the West and South while the positive test rates for the Midwest and Northeast mostly remain stagnant or declining.

All this talk about coasts and regions is moot anyways, our sole focus should be on what's going on in New York as there aren't any WTA events for the rest of the year elsewhere in America. If the virus starts surging in New York, then we'll talk about it then. Until then, why get ahead of ourselves?

I don't know who claimed anything is in Stacey's hands; obviously the NY gov will have the final say on whether the event is held or not. So far, the NY gov has been supportive but we'll see if that continues to hold as the event gets closer and the situation develops.
The sole focus should be getting Players from overseas into the USA COVID-Free and that will be IMO a huge challenge in itself. I one-thousand percent support Rafael Nadal & his Uncle Toni. Tennis shouldn't be played, at least not on a Professional Level unless there is safe travelling. And safe travelling is nowhere near ready in August. This is some shit Stacey is doing!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Yeah, this is a big part of where I stand: have an event, have good prize money, have something that's purely voluntary, but by no means call it the 'US Open'/'French Open' - National Tennis Invitational Championship, or something. It's too compromised and too different to allow the prestige/points to be equal to normal times, etc.

I don't think they should mess with the branding. If it's not a Grand Slam event, it's a bad idea to dilute the brand by associating with the USO at all. If push comes to shove in New York and the USO really can't be held (which i very much doubt), the USTA should look at a couple of replacement events late in the year along the lines that you mention.

The media is trying to stir people into a frenzy again but it's not going to work. There might be a second wave of the COVID, but there's not going to be a second panic. The lockdowns are politically and economically unsustainable, people are just not going to put up with draconian restrictions any more. Even though case rates are rising, the fatality rate is falling pretty sharply - which implies that herd immunity is on the way, whether folks like it or not.

Flipkins is welcome to her private opinion, but i doubt her colleagues will appreciate her trying to take money out of their pockets. Nobody is forcing her to come and i doubt she'll be missed. What i do know for sure is that some player ranked about #130 is going to be very happy indeed to get Flippy's 50K and a shot at 90K for winning one match.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
But it's not fair for her to miss out a tournament. It should be fair for EVERY player - in the other words, it needs to be 100% safe in order to run a tournament, so everyone can play.
Sports and traveling will not be 100% safe from covid-19 for years to come. Even the vaccines which might be available next year will not work 100% of the time, per the scientists working on developing them. Nor will everyone be willing or healthy enough to vaccinate.

A lot of sports, tennis included, will not survive if they go on pause for years. IMO we have to resume life under the new normal somehow, and the measures proposed by the USO organizers seem sensitive enough to do it. Players who don't want to travel to the US have every right not to. She can stay in Europe and focus on those tournaments, like a lot of other European players. A lot of the players at the USO will likely skip the European season too, so things could balance out ranking-wise.

But arguing selectively to get the tournament across the globe canned because she doesn't want to go, and other players will be there to reap the benefits ... :rolleyes: Why isn't the FO getting any pushback, how are they planning on bringing players from all over the globe in France 100% covid-free?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Sports and traveling will not be 100% safe from covid-19 for years to come. Even the vaccines which might be available next year will not work 100% of the time, per the scientists working on developing them. Nor will everyone be willing or healthy enough to vaccinate.

A lot of sports, tennis included, will not survive if they go on pause for years. IMO we have to resume life under the new normal somehow, and the measures proposed by the USO organizers seem sensitive enough to do it. Players who don't want to travel to the US have every right not to. She can stay in Europe and focus on those tournaments, like a lot of other European players. A lot of the players at the USO will likely skip the European season too, so things could balance out ranking-wise.

But arguing selectively to get the tournament across the globe canned because she doesn't want to go, and other players will be there to reap the benefits ... :rolleyes: Why isn't the FO getting any pushback, how are they planning on bringing players from all over the globe in France 100% covid-free?
Thanks for this. Couldn't have put it more eloquently.

So much energy directed towards the USO who are hosting players in a bubble for a month in ultra safe conditions but no qs directed towards the European clay season that will have players moving from Spain, to Italy, to France... with fans present.

At this point, be there or be square. Bye!

·
Registered
24,140 Posts
Thanks for this. Couldn't have put it more eloquently.

So much energy directed towards the USO who are hosting players in a bubble for a month in ultra safe conditions but no qs directed towards the European clay season that will have players moving from Spain, to Italy, to France... with fans present.

At this point, be there or be square. Bye!
Exactly, and those tournaments are set to begin a day after the USO. Rome/Madrid/RG haven't answered to any of these questions but everyone gets to picayune at what the US Open is planning.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Flip is the only player with common sense and the guts to say it.

Flipkens tweet…Is it just me or is it insane US Open is still planning to go ahead? Players testing positive on COVID19
So basicly if 1 person tests positive at the US Open , everyone needs to quarantaine for 2 weeks right? Which means they only THEN cancel the tournament or what?
This shows how Djokovic has already defeated the system by getting covid now.
While the other players are in quarantine and eating slop at the USO, Djokovic will be free to live and eat and practice where ever he pleases.
Djokovic now has a big advantage over the other players.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
This shows how Djokovic has already defeated the system by getting covid now.
While the other players are in quarantine and eating slop at the USO, Djokovic will be free to live and eat and practice where ever he pleases.
Djokovic now has a big advantage over the other players.
Are you venting this wild theory in every thread ? Having (had) Covid means you're welcomed everywhere ?

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Just saw an amazing stat for covid in NYC, which is sometimes referred to as Gotham, the Rotten Apple, etc.
The stat is on the gothamist.com covid stat site. Covid stats for NYC.
About 12,000 people over 65 have died of covid in NYC, BUT only 5 of those 12,000 didn't have an underlying illness.
If those stats are true, even older healthy people are not seriously effected by covid.
Young people from 0 to 17 only had 1 death with no underlying illness.
About 100 people between 18 and 65 died of covid with no underlying illness, so the stats of only 5 out of 12,000 over 65 y/o people dying of covid might be wrong, or most people over 65 have an underlying illness.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
COVID-19 is nothing like chicken pox 🤣 What planet are you living on?!
From gothamist.com stats for NYC on covid-19
If these stats are true, this is amazing
His stats show that of the 16,000 deaths analyzed in NYC
only 100 did not have an underlying illness.
So, from these stats healthy people with covid only have a 0.6% chance of dying from covid-19.

61 - 80 of 104 Posts