Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Flip is the only player with common sense and the guts to say it.

Flipkens tweet…Is it just me or is it insane US Open is still planning to go ahead? Players testing positive on COVID19
So basicly if 1 person tests positive at the US Open , everyone needs to quarantaine for 2 weeks right? Which means they only THEN cancel the tournament or what?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
NYC Marathon already canceled and it's the first week in November. How could the USTA not cancel? Greed?

·
Registered
11,923 Posts
So basicly if 1 person tests positive at the US Open , everyone needs to quarantaine for 2 weeks right?
No, that's not correct. Only if you are in the same area and in close proximity to an infected person, inside for over 15 minutes.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I do think some players will feel like they have to play to protect their ranking. Hopefully, the numbers keep falling and players are comfortable attending the event when the time comes.

No, that's not correct. Only if you are in the same area and in close proximity to an infected person, inside for over 15 minutes.
I can't see players being forced out of the tournament unless they test positive. Imagine the backlash if a player was withdrawn from the tournament, and continued to test negative.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Less of a 'blast' and more of a 'questions about process asked on a short-form social media platform in a 2nd/3rd language'.

Given the specifics about quarantining she's asked about are incorrect, it seems she needed clarification. Hopefully she got it and can make an informed decision about playing or not.

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
Love your new sig!!!!:love:

Hmm, I'm pretty sure the OP posted on his website that COVID-19 was just a big hoax to get Agent Orange voted out of office. This is quite an about-face.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I do think some players will feel like they have to play to protect their ranking. Hopefully, the numbers keep falling and players are comfortable attending the event when the time comes.

I can't see players being forced out of the tournament unless they test positive. Imagine the backlash if a player was withdrawn from the tournament, and continued to test negative.
I believe they will have the option to freeze their ranking until they decide that it is safe to play.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have read your comments regarding that. But if everyone around you is playing and collecting points, it can add some pressure.
Those who are playing will also lose points each week, so I guess it is a matter of perception and a player's specific case (how players around her are doing etc).

·
it's just me against the music.
27,214 Posts
Where is the logic that one player is positive everyone has to quarantine? During the tournament, players should not be co-mingling and continue to self-quarantine. That's the point. Look at how great the Charleston event is going.

Everyone has to be respectful and be a professional. Something the male #1 is not.

·
Banned
21,982 Posts
Flip is the only player with common sense and the guts to say it.

Flipkens tweet…Is it just me or is it insane US Open is still planning to go ahead? Players testing positive on COVID19
So basicly if 1 person tests positive at the US Open , everyone needs to quarantaine for 2 weeks right? Which means they only THEN cancel the tournament or what?
I've been saying it on here for months, but unsurprisingly got blasted for it. Now I have backup.

·
Banned
21,982 Posts
Where is the logic that one player is positive everyone has to quarantine? During the tournament, players should not be co-mingling and continue to self-quarantine. That's the point. Look at how great the Charleston event is going.

Everyone has to be respectful and be a professional. Something the male #1 is not.
Well, I agree with you on the last part and hopefully everyone sees him for the type of person he is, but you know the rest of your statement won't happen because not every player is that responsible, especially when it's 256 of them.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts

Yeah, I hope someone responded to her to clarify that her understanding is incorrect.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Despite what happened with Djokovic, the chances of getting the coronavirus at the U.S Open, with all their safety protocols that will be in place will be extremely small, if at all.
With a world population of 7.8 Billion people, ONLY around 9&1/2 million people have ever contracted it, not that many really,( These are current Stats)
If Flipkens or anyone else doesn't feel safe, DON'T PLAY, i'm sure someone one will happily take their places.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
It's kind of amusing to see all of these journeymen and journeywomen post on Twitter about these issues as if the tennis establishment, tournament organizers and fans actually cared about their opinions. From Tara Moore to Sascha Vickery and now Flipkens: Keep kicking and screaming. Everyone knows that if the US Open is on, you'll eventually show up to collect your big fat check after losing in the first round.
What a bunch of morons.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts