Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
10,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5 JENNIFER CAPRIATI
The French crowd took great pleasure in watching the American struggle against unfancied Yulia Beygelziemer in 2004, cheering mistakes and jeering winners, but Capriati had the last laugh when, on match point, she paused and waved to the stands, provoking more booing :lol:

4 MARIA SHARAPOVA
Sharapova has had to endure the sort of catcalls the locals reserve for substandard Parisian burlesque, though she gives as good as she gets. ‘It is hard to be a tennis player and Mother Teresa at the same time’

3 SERENA WILLIAMS
In 2003, Iraq had already stoked US-French antagonism when, in an interview, Williams adopts a faux-French accent to fan those flames. ‘We don’t want to play in the war; we want to make clothes.’ The crowd turned her into a tearful, defeated mess

2 MARY PIERCE
Canadian-born, US-reared, Pierce represented France in the Fed Cup but probably regretted that, given the derisive howls that greeted her at Roland Garros. The locals delighted in mocking her American-accented French
1 MARTINA HINGIS
Age is no barrier to Roland Garros abuse, as Hingis found at 16 when she questioned line calls; two years later she fled the court to jeers after defeat by Steffi Graf

http://www.tennisforum.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=12

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Call me uptight but I really think the RG crowd are uncivilized morons. The players are just doing their job , and you come to a match to watch tennis , not a panto show where you can cheer and boo the heroes and villians :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
28,054 Posts
I have never understood why the French hate Maria. Usually there is an incident that sets them off like Martina's episode crossing the net but Maria hasnt had an incident. I guess they just dont like her for some reason. I find the RG croud to be incredibly rude at times and it doesnt reflect very well on them when they start booing a player.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I have never understood why the French hate Maria. Usually there is an incident that sets them off like Martina's episode crossing the net but Maria hasnt had an incident. I guess they just dont like her for some reason. I find the RG croud to be incredibly rude at times and it doesnt reflect very well on them when they start booing a player.

Maria shrieks ridiculously loudly = she is ridiculed by the French crowd = Maria gets riled up & insults the crowd = crowd start hating her ;)

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
Three of those women are retired so they should make a new list :lol:
We can pretty much gurantee JJ will be next for looking at herself on screen, Vika for out squealing maria, Ana should not get too comfy she is on thier hit list.

·
Heyyy
22,759 Posts
the crowd turns on players so easy, even the french players, at least it stops them being too fussy over line calls, do not moan or you shall be booed for the rest of yo tennis career

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
17,089 Posts
I love the french crowd. So alive and always into a match. It gives such an atmosphere and it´s so much fun to see players deal with it. I love the new york crowd as well. There´s so much passion in them when watching tennis. It resembles how i am myself when i watch a tennismatch, very very closely involved.

The Aussies are too softhearted and the English are just plain boring and calm. The Parisians and New Yorkers are the best.:bounce:

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Ree has always been very nice to the French, its just a shame the majority of ticket holders are sad bastards.

Surely it was Henin who turned Ree into a 'sad defeated mess?' I think we would all be pretty sad had we been so cruelly cheated. Its great Ree got the last laugh tho.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Well Mary eventually won over the French crowds... In the later part of her career, she knew exactly how to use the crowd to her advantage.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Ree has always been very nice to the French, its just a shame the majority of ticket holders are sad bastards.

Surely it was Henin who turned Ree into a 'sad defeated mess?' I think we would all be pretty sad had we been so cruelly cheated. Its great Ree got the last laugh tho.
What last laugh!?? :confused:

·
Registered
16,039 Posts

Serena is often considered as arrogant (not only by French public)and her behaviour in her match against Amelie (can't remember the year)didn't help her case with frenchies.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts