Tennis Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
potential underage drinking

Now this story has drastically changed to potential underage drinking which is against the law.

suspended players included under legal drinking age

so. - Cassie Mercer
fr. - Meghan Kelley
and maybe
jr. - Victoria Olivarez

·
College Tennis/Team USA expert
9,320 Posts
Worth noting that the lineups for Indoors have everyone but Morton on it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Worth noting that the lineups for Indoors have everyone but Morton on it
That's a shame for the team and for Skylar. She had an outstanding freshman year at UCLA. After 2 years at UCLA and sitting out one year, she transferred to UVa She is currently playing great tennis after working with the UVa coaches for the past year. No one wins in this situation. I hope that life lessons have been learned and the team is stronger and better than before. And, I hope that Skylar is able to get back on the courts soon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Haha wow. You really think I'm some sort of fool, don't you? I wouldn't come on here and make things up. I am friends with several former players, and I agree with your point that "he is respected by many parents and players but not all."

I would not come on here and say something like that unless I had heard it directly from people who had experience with him. I do think that he can be an excellent coach for the right type of girl, especially from a pure tennis perspective, but if you look at his record of player attrition, just to start, it's clear that he has a very divisive style.

I also have many family members who live in Charlottesville and have spent a significant amount of time there. I'm not just putting together stuff I read online.

I completely respect your opinion, and you make many valid points, but please don't act like I am some crazy person posting BS, because that is not my style at all. The point of a forum is that people can share their opinions, which I have done based on facts and stories that I have heard DIRECTLY from people who have played for and interacted with Coach Guilbeau. Your first post is very fair, but the other two paint me as some sort of hack, and I find that offensive.
Many people talk about how many transfer out of this program, but they have 3 current members that have transferred in.

I have never understood why there is such a high transfer rate across the nation in tennis. Players from other programs even transfer for their senior years. This issue is not unique to UVa. I know one player that has played tennis at 3 different D1 schools in 3 years. When you have only 6 players that contribute during a match, it's hard to force a player to stay on your team when they may play without the intensity needed to win. It is equally hard for a coach to not be tempted to try to improve the team each year with new recruits. It's a dilemma and there's no easy fix. UVa has had a lot of publicity around it due to an article written several years ago. However, look at the rosters of other teams and you will be amazed at how many transfers are on the team.

·
9,320 Posts
That's a shame for the team and for Skylar. She had an outstanding freshman year at UCLA. After 2 years at UCLA and sitting out one year, she transferred to UVa She is currently playing great tennis after working with the UVa coaches for the past year. No one wins in this situation. I hope that life lessons have been learned and the team is stronger and better than before. And, I hope that Skylar is able to get back on the courts soon.
There is a chance she could also be injured or further suspended. Her name is still listed on the roster and injured players aren't listed on lineups (ie Niehaus for Ohio State). Her sitout could also be from grades, which caused her to leave UCLA in the first place.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I am reading a lot of gossip and sour grape type opinions, but still no actual stories - confirmed or hearsay. You know who else is "controlling" and "difficult"? Bill Belichick & Greg Popovich, among others.

I'm not putting "Lil' Napoleon" Gilbeau in that category just yet but I haven't heard any stories of him abusing players or committing other atrocities, so until then I'm just going to consider him a great coach with a difficult personality.

·
Registered
11,042 Posts
It's looking to me like Maci Epstein won't be back this year. She still hasn't played a match since the incident.

·
9,320 Posts
Morton and Epstein weren't recognized on Senior Day, while Wingo was. Think that answers everything

·
Registered
11,042 Posts
Morton and Epstein weren't recognized on Senior Day, while Wingo was. Think that answers everything
Strange though because Morton played 9 duals after the incident. Hasn't played since March 20th though.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts