Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's keep the list confined to those players who have made the top five in the Open Era. (singles!) Strokes, mental fortitude, shot making

1)Martina Hingis Has every shot in the book :worship:
2)Steffi Graf Any surface a game that transcended three eras.:worship: :worship: :worship:

3)Martina Navratilova :worship: :worship:
4)Evonne G.
5)Venus Williams :angel:

·
Sabatini lover Forever
14,605 Posts
1)Hingis
2)Graf
3)Navratilova
4)Sabatini
5)Zvereva

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
Strokes:

1. Chris Evert
2. Martina Hingis
3. Tracy Austin
4. Nancy Richey
5. Billie Jean King

Mental Fortitude:

1. Steffi Graf
2. Billie Jean King
3. Chris Evert
4. Monica Seles
5. Arantxa Sanchez Vicario

Shot Making:

1. Evonne Goolagong
2. Steffi Graf
3. Billie Jean King
4. Martina Navratilova
5. Monica Seles

Too bad it's confined to the open-era. Never did believe in those restrictions much, but nice post.

·
Registered
677 Posts
no order:
seles
capriati
graf
hingis
henin

there r so many other players,of the past above all,but i prefered to put the players I've had the opportunity to follow and see with my eyes...

·
Banned
27,238 Posts
hmmmm this is so hard :eek:

i define talent as the ability to be the best.....but it also means having everything. Serena is the best. but she doesnt have everything. Patty has everything.....but she's no where near being the best. still my list look like this

Navratilova

Graf
Seles

Hingis

Serena

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
From the replies, it looks like people are responding with not just Open-Era, but 1985 onward. Ah, but wouldn't it be nice if tapes of some of the older matches were readily available! :(

·
Registered
18,664 Posts
1. Martina Hingis
2. Justine Henin-Hardenne
3. Martina Navratilova
4. Monica Seles
5. Chris Evert

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
I know most of you have never seen her play, but Billie Jean King had all the shots in the book, and the only one that sometimes broke down was the forehand. Her mental toughness is legendary to this day. If all you've seen of Billie Jean King is The Battle of the Sexes, you're missing out on some really great tennis. She beat all of the great players, from Maria Bueno all the way through Navratilova and Evert.

So many people forget her tennis.

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
alfajeffster said:
I know most of you have never seen her play, but Billie Jean King had all the shots in the book, and the only one that sometimes broke down was the forehand. Her mental toughness is legendary to this day. If all you've seen of Billie Jean King is The Battle of the Sexes, you're missing out on some really great tennis. She beat all of the great players, from Maria Bueno all the way through Navratilova and Evert.

So many people forget her tennis.
Man, you can´t expect all of us to already been borned to watch sixties tennis. No doubt King, Court et all were greats....didn´t watch them play though.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.