Tennis Forum banner
121 - 140 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Re: FITD Montréal

If we are going to this strict logic why should we consider R32 and R16 picks correct since Poltergeist chose Svitolina as finalist? Can she be finalist if she doesn't win her previous round games? It doesn't change anything for this tournament but if we should not accept such picks then the whole path should be canceled
Because the draw made sense until the Svitolina mistakes in the QF.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts

But in this case, there is a consequence for his “mistake.” Instead of getting points for Svitolina all the way through (which he could have if he’d not made a mistake) he only gets them for SF/F (if she makes it) :shrug:
There's also the subjective matter of where the mistake was, and which part of the FITD they forgot to update. It's the less likely scenario, but maybe in the end they decided that Buzarnescu would beat Svitolina and forgot to update the rest.

Anyways it seems like precedent has been set in Prague, so Polter should get the points now unless the rules have changed since. I don't really care, as I forgot to submit my draw and I'm not affected by the decision either way :eek:h:

·
Premium Member
46,229 Posts

You cannot compare with the Prague case (or other similar ones). It's totally different when the player is not responsible to have his draw messed up because of a withdrawal, because then it's fair to count lucky picks in the randomness of a draw that nobody is responsible of.
@twight6

·
Registered
17,534 Posts

You cannot compare with the Prague case (or other similar ones). It's totally different when the player is not responsible to have his draw messed up because of a withdrawal, because then it's fair to count lucky picks in the randomness of a draw that nobody is responsible of.
@twight6
This makes it too random, though, to count it in one case but not another. Either it counts, or it doesn’t. Mistakes or intent or any subjectivity at all needs to be taken out of it.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts

To me, it's simple. Accept the picks up the SF and F where Svitolina should be replaced with an X (representing an invalid pick). :shrug:

·
Registered
9,954 Posts

Anyway in the current situation we simply do what we did at Prague. Award points for correct pick when it is at correct place in draw. So Poltergeist should earn points if Svitolina wins today and her next games and simply he lost points that he would have earned from her at previous rounds.
No way.

Sorry. ;)
I agree with you here. I can't see why award points if the draw is not logical at some point:eek: And it's not the manager who has to guess what the player was thinking, if there's a mistake, just tough luck this time.

I have ALWAYS been under the impression that having a correct player in a spot counted, regardless of whether or not you screwed up the rounds before. So if Svitolina makes SF/F, Poltergeist would get points because he had her there.

I am not sure why I thought this, but as someone who has played for years and years, I always assumed this was the rule.
Not if there's a logic mistake. You can't have Wozniacki-Konta playing and then Svitolina announced as a winner:shrug:

Another example, what if Player X is the #3 seed in the top half. And everyone picks her to go to the final. Then, at the last second, she gets moved to the #1 seed because of a withdrawal and her place in the draw changes (But she’s still in the top half). Do players who picked her for final/win get points for her if she makes it all the way to the final? Even though they didn’t get any points in the rounds before because she was in the wrong spot?

And before everyone says “wel that’s a different situation..” it is and it isn’t :shrug: either you get points for a player being in the correct spot (regardless of prior rounds), or you dont
If a seed withdraws then there's an option to re-fill the draw (if there's time). If the matches have started, then it's again a matter of luck IMO. If the #3 seed is in the top half as well, you can award points if she makes the final or wins (if she does make them and if she's picked), but no points for winning r1, r2.. because she's not in the correct spot of the draw. There have been very messy draws in the end of the year where everyone's chasing for YEC and then withdrawing or giving w/o in the last minute.

With this game you need some luck too. And remember it's just a game;)

·
Registered
17,534 Posts

To me, it's simple. Accept the picks up the SF and F where Svitolina should be replaced with an X (representing an invalid pick). :shrug:
Even though I always thought the rule was different, I can see the logic in this. I have no strong feelings either way :)

Pretty sure @Poltergeist isn’t really invested either and won’t be upset with either choice!

Just as long as everyone is on the same page in the future if this happens :cool:

·
Premium Member
46,229 Posts

This makes it too random, though, to count it in one case but not another. Either it counts, or it doesn’t. Mistakes or intent or any subjectivity at all needs to be taken out of it.
Your lucky picks cannot count if yourself messed your draw. You're not supposed to mess your draw. It has to be logical. This isn't just a game of having right picks here or there beyond any logic. :shrug:

When the draw changes after a withdrawal it falses the logic of everyone's picks and makes the case different. It's become random and then your luck is welcome.

Check this logic too: a SF pick gains higher points for being a constant one, not a suddenly reminded one after two missed ones. Any player should accept his mistakes.

I understand the managers (eye and aerosmash being excellent managers) are trying to be kind and fair, but to me you have to respect the logic of the game first.

:hatoff:

Reactions: twight6

·
Registered
31,441 Posts

I believe Svitolina picks in SF and F should be invalidated
It can open precedents for many errors in the future.

Reactions: BMT360

·
Registered
17,021 Posts

He should get the Svitolina picks awarded for just SF and F. He messed up his draw then that just means he receives no points for the previous rounds, it's still his draw.

·
Registered
17,534 Posts

He should get the Svitolina picks awarded for just SF and F. He messed up his draw then that just means he receives no points for the previous rounds, it's still his draw.
Agreed. We’re old school though, apparently ;)

·
Registered
49,714 Posts

Curious to know what's everyone's logic on this?

There's a consequencial notion inherent to F-I-T-D, which is that a mistake of your own has a consequence on your next picks. Even when the player only made a honest mistake. By my logic, you cannot have correct picks for a player you didn't pick in one previous round. You must have that pick in every round. That's part of the challenge.

The matter of Prague was different as it wasn't due to the player's own mistake. But that's just my view and am curious to know what other participants think...

Personally, every player on this game should take their own responsibility when posting their own picks and make sure they did in the correct way.....Manager has already got so much thing to do.

If Svitolina wasn't on the draw in the early rounds, this could also be a huge question mark? why she is in SF and F? :eek:

·
-
53,168 Posts

a mistake should never be rewarded by any points
if we start accepting mistakes and badly-constructed draw, then what will we accept next? FITD players placing players' names randomly and the managers will just have to assume?
darth revan placed the wrong players at the wrong positions of his draw at some point, then from the moment the mistake is made, no points should be given in that part of the draw

·
Registered
49,714 Posts

a mistake should never be rewarded by any points
if we start accepting mistakes and badly-constructed draw, then what will we accept next? FITD players placing players' names randomly and the managers will just have to assume?
darth revan placed the wrong players at the wrong positions of his draw at some point, then from the moment the mistake is made, no points should be given in that part of the draw
Agreed!

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·

Le carré des demi-finales: scénarios

Halep/Barty def. Stephens - @Vitor BM wins
Ranked No. 39 last year

Halep/Barty def. Svitolina - @goOudinUSA wins
Ranked No. 54 last year

Stephens wins title - @Buitenzorg wins
Ranked No. 24 last year

Svitolina defends title - @Random Run wins
No entry last year

Best luck to the four of you (and to those who are hoping to scavenge some higher ranking points :eek:h:)! :cheer:

Reactions: Crux Squall

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 · (Edited)

I do appreciate the insights you guys have shared. As you can see, I have decided to mark Poltergeist's Svitolina picks in the SF/F invalid for this tournament. My decision as the manager stems from the unwritten rule that the draws must make sense; which is one purpose of prescribing a specific format on the first page of every FITD thread. FITD is a game of earning points for a player in succession, so I believe the correct advancing pattern of a pick is just as important as the correct pick in itself. :)

Reactions: Hugues

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
Reactions: Kon.
121 - 140 of 144 Posts