Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MGM and Marie Piere got the first two WC for the Swisscome Challange.
The third and last one will be given away shortly before the tournament start. Emmanuelle Gagliardi and Myriam Casanova have asked for one.

The 14 year old talent from Waadt Timea Bascinski got a WC for the qualies

Well all I say is Hoooppp Schwiiizzz

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Pierce and Mikaelian handed Zurich wildcards
2003-10-03 17:31:20 GMT (Reuters)

ZURICH, Oct 3 (Reuters) - Mary Pierce and Marie-Gaianeh Mikaelian have been handed wildcard entries into this month's Swisscom Challenge, organisers said on Friday.

Tournament director Beat Ritschard chose to award two of the three available wildcards to France's Pierce, ranked 49th in the world, and home favourite Mikaelian after both missed out on automatic places for the Zurich tournament.

Pierce, 28, reached the final of the tournament in 1995 but has not played in the Swisscom Challenge since 1999.

World number 44 Mikaelian, 19, has twice reached the quarter-finals of the tournament, which begins on October 12.

Organisers also said that they expect world number one Kim Clijsters to compete despite the Belgian currently suffering a foot injury.

·
Banned
596 Posts
Mary Pierce?...it's good that she's recovering,
but taking up WC's from the Swiss own players,
that's really not acceptable....

btw, wasnt MGM going to be changing her nationality?
i cant remember where, but was she?...

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
hhhhoooopppp sssccchhhhwwwiiizzzz

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
Marie GM is Armenian. If she changed she would get no funding what so ever from the Government, or that their facilities in yerevan are shocking. Best she stay in Swiyzland.

·
Registered
53,866 Posts
Rothes said:
Marie GM is Armenian. If she changed she would get no funding what so ever from the Government, or that their facilities in yerevan are shocking. Best she stay in Swiyzland.
She wasn't thinking about moving back to Armenia but to France instead :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
17,733 Posts
Go Timea!

·
Banned
596 Posts
Rothes said:
thx....i was wondering about that too:)
cant remember where i heard about her wanting to change nationality,
but anyways, congrats on getting precious WC:)

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
I think that it ' s " normal " to give a " wild card " to Mary Pierce, she is an excellent player who were injured !!!!!

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
I wonder if they'll just give it to Myriam. Good luck to them all!

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
spiceboy said:
She wasn't thinking about moving back to Armenia but to France instead :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
She wanted to be based in France, however her Father is Armenian and they were discussing with Armenian officals wether to play for Armenia, rather then Switzerland.

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
*Hopes Romina Oprandi will play*

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
Mary getting a wild card is not a shock or wrong as she has an exemption as a former GS winner. the organisers are not allowed to give wild-cards to the swiss players unless nobody on the exemption lists asks for one.

myriam better get a wild card. i'm not trying to undervalue manu, but i think it's important that they give the players who are the future of swiss tennis the chance to play in this event. i think myriam is also playing a lot better than manu at present

1 - 20 of 34 Posts