Tennis Forum banner
21 - 40 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
The last 5 Australian Opens have been good for unseeded players making the semi finals. From 2015 onwards we have Keys,Konta,Lucic-Baroni, Mertens and Collins. Only Lucic-Baroni had played in a Grand Slam semi final before and that was 18 years earlier. Maybe it's the start of the season that has been a factor.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
I'd like to see Vekic have a good year at the slams... I don't think she's actually strong enough to get to a SF though, sadly.
She made the QF of the last Slam...

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
If she's not dependent enough on Tursunov's advice, Sabalenka should have a good chance in Melbourne (unless the Australians slow down the courts and I don't mean it in a Pliskova-says-it's-slow way). Her run in USO '18 is proof that she can play well enough by herself and that she wasn't nearly as good mentally in any Slam in 2019.

I'm not saying she can't make it but I wouldn't bet on Vekic for a deep run in Melbourne if she doesn't beef up a bit. Last year she seemed like she was about to combust in R2.

·
Registered
13,982 Posts
Sabalenka recently lost her father so she could be inspired ala Seles or be a complete non entity Both scenarios are completely understandable.

·
Banned
564 Posts
Very hard to predict. It could be anyone ? I hope for ?? player but maybe not. Like other said Kenin but we have to see draw. If draw fall apart could be anyone.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Barty and Svitolina have certainly higher chance. Muchova to certain extent. Andreescu is a pandora's box. However all the other names above have close to zero chance to make a sf in au open. saba, dayana, collins, amanda, etc. especially collins and strycova, i would say scientifically impossible.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Barty and Svitolina have certainly higher chance. Muchova to certain extent. Andreescu is a pandora's box. However all the other names above have close to zero chance to make a sf in au open. saba, dayana, collins, amanda, etc. especially collins and strycova, i would say scientifically impossible.
Collins made the AO semis last year. Lost against Kvitova.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
i don't expect a ''newcomer'' this season. it will be the year of consolidation. last year's peak names will elevate their form and performance. perhaps riske might only make a maiden slam sf in wimbledon. or has she done ever?

·
Registered
8,778 Posts
Mattek Sands

·
Registered
57,944 Posts
Do not forget the wonderful Fabiola Zuluaga !!! ♥
She reached the Aus Open SF in 2004.
The first Colombian tennis player to reach a Grand Slam semifinal.

I see the biggest chances to reach a Grand Slam SF in 2020 for:
Sabalenka, Kenin, Yastremska, Muchova, Rybakina or the Polish wonder Swiatek.

·
Premium Member
22,095 Posts
It's Sabalenka's time. In case she avoids Anisimova.

·
Registered
57,944 Posts
I see the biggest chances to reach a Grand Slam SF in 2020 for:
Sabalenka, Kenin, Yastremska, Muchova, Rybakina or the Polish wonder Swiatek.
Kenin did it :love:

BTW: Muguruza reached her first ever Aus Open SF.
She has now reached Grand Slam SFs at Aus Open, French Open and Wimbledon.
Only the US Open is missing. Her worst Grand Slam by far.

21 - 40 of 97 Posts